• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks an interesting option, particularly as it’s just a straight CPU swap. Doesn’t look like it matters that much for higher res though. I might be better off binning the new CPU idea and going for a 4000 series graphics card.

At 4K you're more GPU bound, the GPU is doing more of the work so the CPU becomes less important, but if you upgrade to a faster GPU then the CPU matters more again, it can be to such an extent that the GPU upgrade sees little if any benefit due to the CPU holding it back.

Sounds like a plan except that getting a new card isn’t going to be the easiest of ventures.

From you end or just because of the way the market seems to be right now?

I'm going to buy something from the next generation, RTX 4070 / RX 7700XT, hopefully if pricing isn't daft, and then i'm done for a few years, i don't buy many, if any AAA games these days, its all the same crap regurgitated with fried cheese on top.

The only thing that matters to me is a long tern good for Star Citizen GPU, once have that that's me done.

AMD is learning from nvidia by holding back the 3D Vcache versions so gamers have to double dip.

Or maybe they're harder to produce in volume? Remembr when furyx with HBM launched, there were barely any review samples let alone retail products. Took basically until Vega for HBM on a gpu to be doable In decent volume.

This is amds first stab at 3d vcache, stands to reason its gonna take some trial and error for the production to smooth out and have better availability.

Last edited:
From you end or just because of the way the market seems to be right now?

I'm going to buy something from the next generation, RTX 4070 / RX 7700XT, hopefully if pricing isn't daft, and then i'm done for a few years, i don't buy many, if any AAA games these days, its all the same crap regurgitated with fried cheese on top.

The only thing that matters to me is a long tern good for Star Citizen GPU, once have that that's me done.
Availability is the issue, not cash

Sandbagging is term used by enthusiasts when way benchmarks don't resemble all the leaks and rumours. I can't of a time when any company has gone out of their way to "sandbag" a CPU or related product (it makes no sense).

Sandbagging is term used by enthusiasts when way benchmarks don't resemble all the leaks and rumours. I can't of a time when any company has gone out of their way to "sandbag" a CPU or related product (it makes no sense).
It does if a) it might affect current sales b) it may tip off competitors to your progress.

So, a 15% boost in single core performance (tested in singlethreaded Cinebench R23), overall for Zen 4, vs Zen 3? I thought it would be around 20%, but this should still put Zen 4 ahead of Alder Lake in games.

You'd expect the multithreaded performance to be significantly ahead of Intel's E-Cores also. Intel is likely to increase the number of E-Cores though for the 13th generation, so maybe that is how they will keep up.

The most interesting bit, is that it looks like there will be standard B650 boards available, hopefully at reasonable prices on launch.

Last edited:
Sandbagging is cope by leakers when they are wrong - Adored did this with 5.1Ghz Zen 2 now MLID is doing the same.

Remember when adored also claimed a few years back that radeon vii was only shown because they found a last second bug on rdna that prevented them from showing it. :D Just happened to have a totally different gpu knocking about just in case, not to mention a company wouldn't dare show a gpu that was in an incredible flakey stage of development.

Last edited:
It's not even close between the 5800X3D and the 12900KS so you should see monumental gains vs your 3900X.
Z8i5kTx.jpg
fbezAa1.jpg
NSFAZNk.jpg
That looks an interesting option, particularly as it’s just a straight CPU swap. Doesn’t look like it matters that much for higher res though. I might be better off binning the new CPU idea and going for a 4000 series graphics card.
I would not be so sure Rob. It is significantly faster than the 5950X with PBO at 4K in MSFS.
Your 3900X is going to be quite far behind both of those processors.

So, Zen 3's score is around 1600 in Cinebench R23 (single core), according to these results:

If we assume 15% higher single core performance for Zen 4, wouldn't that put Zen 4 a bit behind the 12900K, which has a score of 1997?

Last edited:
hi guys, so with recent Zen 4 news; I wonder if you think its a good idea to go for a 5950x now (since the price as dropped), or wait for more on Zen 4? Maybe its me, but did Zen4 come across a little disappointing? We didnt get to see much performance figures, just a +15% single threaded performance and upto 5.5Ghz boost. I have a 3900x atm.

I can transfer the 3900x to another family member, and thinking the 5950x would a good fit for the end for my AM4 board. Or should I just hang onto my money? thanks for any advice (I know I ask this before, but we had some Zen 4 news recently).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom