• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well, even a low/mid end Zen 4 CPU would be better than the 5950x for most tasks. At £500 a pop for a 5950x, I'd say hang on to your money.

Associate
How long before we see gaming benchmarks?

Id like to know how much extra this would give me over my 3900X on MFS at 3440X1440. That’s literally my main interest
I play at the same resolution and have done this exact swap and am very happy. The 3900X didn't keep my 2080ti anywhere near 100% with a lot of frame rate dips. The X3D has it fully saturated at all times, I'd guess at an extra 10-15 fps but crucially for Flight Sim no noticeable stuttering or frame drops. I am now unlikely to upgrade my GPU which would have been my next move until I saw the results for the processor upgrade. I sold my 3900X for £180 as well which makes it a very decent upgrade for the price.

Soldato
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how much the L2 cache increases make to games, but it looks like the overall single threaded performance will be similar to Intel's Golden Cove cores. It does say >15% single threaded uplift, so maybe they are limited by clock speed increases here?

Soldato
Remember when adored also claimed a few years back that radeon vii was only shown because they found a last second bug on rdna that prevented them from showing it. :D Just happened to have a totally different gpu knocking about just in case...
Radeon VII getting turned out in a hurry wasn't outside the realms of possibility. There was already a consumer-based Vega 20 project that was cancelled previously, so PCB design at least would've been on record somewhere, likely also a cooler as well. Wouldn't exactly be a Herculean task to get that PCB and cooler design out of the archive and drop existing MI50 dies onto it.
...not to mention a company wouldn't dare show a gpu that was in an incredible flakey stage of development.
Well yeah, which is why RDNA1 wasn't shown.

Soldato
Adored did this with 5.1Ghz Zen 2
You do know that his Zen 2 information was already a year old by the time he "leaked" it, yeah? And then it was another year before the product actually showed up. Metric boatloads can change in that time. Zen 2 silicon could legitimately have been hitting those specs at the time of the leak, but as the design and prototypes progress things change.

Whilst common sense dictates all leaks should be taken with a truck load of salt, it's pretty daft to hold a single leak as an immutable stance and then fingerpoint "you're full of *****, mate" years after the fact.

Caporegime
Radeon VII getting turned out in a hurry wasn't outside the realms of possibility. There was already a consumer-based Vega 20 project that was cancelled previously, so PCB design at least would've been on record somewhere, likely also a cooler as well. Wouldn't exactly be a Herculean task to get that PCB and cooler design out of the archive and drop existing MI50 dies onto it.

Well yeah, which is why RDNA1 wasn't shown.

Which goes against his claims that it was going to be shown. A gpu has to be pretty nailed down before a company is comfortable live demoing it. The way his article made it sound it was as if 5 mins before they were gonna show it they pulled the plug.

Just the standard bs to cover that his "info" was wrong.

Associate
Sandbagging is cope by leakers when they are wrong - Adored did this with 5.1Ghz Zen 2 now MLID is doing the same.

45% faster than a 12900K in a short blender test puts it 50% faster than the 5950X in a similar test.

Zen 2 to Zen 3 IPC charts had CB R23 ST at +13% which was below the 19% average uplift so a >15% perf gain in CB R23 ST could very well be on the lower end of the ST performance increases.

We got a few tiny bits of information. Anybody jumping on the Zen 4 sucks bandwagon is doing so prematurely. Not saying it is not going to be a dissapointment vs expectations but we do not have anywhear near enough data to jump to that conclusion.

Soldato

Where does this leave us? Not in a good place. AMD makes claims about laptop performance and efficiency and then goes out of their way to shut down independent testing in the least ethical way SemiAccurate can think of. The new AM5 socket looks good but marketing decisions make us wary on non-technical fronts, we hope AMD doesn’t go down the Intel path to ruin over this. Based on the numbers AMD put out, the Zen4 cores underperform expectations by a lot, lets hope there is upside when the real numbers are revealed later this year. One thing we don’t expect any up side on is Mendocino, a self-inflicted opportunity cost wound that we can’t justify on any front. What seemed like a good keynote didn’t hold up when you look at what was actually said rather than parroting back the talking points. What is going on at AMD?

Caporegime
I play at the same resolution and have done this exact swap and am very happy. The 3900X didn't keep my 2080ti anywhere near 100% with a lot of frame rate dips. The X3D has it fully saturated at all times, I'd guess at an extra 10-15 fps but crucially for Flight Sim no noticeable stuttering or frame drops. I am now unlikely to upgrade my GPU which would have been my next move until I saw the results for the processor upgrade. I sold my 3900X for £180 as well which makes it a very decent upgrade for the price.
Don’t forget, we’re due DLSS in July as well

Soldato
Those 8 E cores are worth 7,000 points.

12900K: 27,472
5950X: 28,577

27,472 + 7,000 = 34,472 + 10% = 37,919

28,577 + 31% = 37,435.

13900K: 37,919 (+1%)
7950X: 37,435

Not bad given the 7950x is likely 170w while the 13900k likely 250w.

I don't see this as AMD losing to Intel and it's all over for Ryzen like some doomsday folk are suggesting. We know AMD can stick many more than 16 cores on a CPU - they are making a strategic choice to limit Zen 4 to 16, it's not like they couldn't do 32 cores if they wanted to

Caporegime
So, Zen 3's score is around 1600 in Cinebench R23 (single core), according to these results:

If we assume 15% higher single core performance for Zen 4, wouldn't that put Zen 4 a bit behind the 12900K, which has a score of 1997?

1644 + 15% = 1890 vs 1997 +5%

Caporegime

Based on the numbers AMD put out, the Zen4 cores underperform expectations by a lot,

Whose expectations? I have a suggestion for you, AlwaysFake, don't create a hype train by fabricating rumours with ridiculous claims you pulled from your bum hole and you wont have to write idiotic follow up articles that frame the truth as tho it was a failing on AMD's part not to meet your invented male bovine manure rumours to save face.

Associate
Well, even a low/mid end Zen 4 CPU would be better than the 5950x for most tasks. At £500 a pop for a 5950x, I'd say hang on to your money.

Yea I get what you mean.

The trouble is with Zen4 is it will need new memory (got plently of DDR4 around) and an costly motherboard. So say £500'ish for the cpu (8-12 cores - 7800x or 7900x), £200~ for 32Gb memory (DDR5 might have come down somewhat) and £300~ for X670.

So £1,000+ for Zen 4, or £500 for an 5950x.

I was hanging off until some news about Zen4. Personally it didnt blow me away (+15% increase, due to 12% clock speed increase?). So I was thinking 5950x would do me for awhile. However after watching linus video, he was saying how great Zen4 was. Started to wonder if I missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom