• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Not read what was said, but Humbug did this to me recently also. He quoted my post and replied to it as if I said something I never said. It is like at times he reads stuff and see's things there that were not there and winds himself up :p
He's definitely showing us 'hysterically', whatever the case...

Caporegime
It is the leaks, all of which have said 4096 NCUs, that have me bamboozled! Agreed that the compute units are not the only driver for die size, but several Billion transistors is a lot to lose :)

I've gotta say, I think you're right with >4096 NCUs being the Vega die we saw, or there are some really REALLY dramatic changes to the arch.

Not to be misunderstood here :), i'm not saying any Vega GPU will have 6000 cores, or just more than 4000, i'm saying the idea that for whatever reason they can't, or never would is utter nonsense, of course they can, of course they would if they though it was the right thing to do.

That Vega Die is pretty large

Soldato
Not to be misunderstood here :), i'm not saying any Vega GPU will have 6000 cores, or just more than 4000, i'm saying the idea that for whatever reason they can't, or never would is utter nonsense, of course they can, of course they would if they though it was the right thing to do.

We have to remember that the same die will also be used in their new Radeon Instinct and Pro line; and unlike NVIDIA they don't have separate cores for top consumer and enterprise similar to GeForce/Quadro and then Tesla.

So it could be that top Vega like top Hawaii is the exact same as Firepro/Instinct just no professional drivers.
So all the compute components will also be there and active.

Caporegime
We have to remember that the same die will also be used in their new Radeon Instinct and Pro line; and unlike NVIDIA they don't have separate cores for top consumer and enterprise similar to GeForce/Quadro and then Tesla.

So it could be that top Vega like top Hawaii is the exact same as Firepro/Instinct just no professional drivers.

nVidia's workstation cards are also the same desktop gaming cards, they just have the compute performance gimped. :)

Caporegime

I doubt it this time round if AMD want to be serious contenders in the HPC and gaming spaces then they need to start seperating the engineering a little. AMD stripped out the FP64 support from the FuryX and Polaris, if they add it back in to Vega gaming chips then performance and power efficiency will be pretty disappointing and a lot f transistors will be needlessly wasted for gaming parts.

Soldato
nVidia's workstation cards are also the same desktop gaming cards, they just have the compute performance gimped. :)

Nope, the Tesla line is a bigger die with full compute, and extra cores for deeplearing.

The GP102 used in Titan X/Ti and Quadro all have gimped Double Precision, essentially none really. Just Tesla at P100 have that.

Soldato
Big news today would not thought to be related but might have an effect is the national election. Thats definitely big enough to move Sterling which could mean a rise in currency value which might help with a lower release price possibly in time with Vega coming out. Lots of maybes
And AMD GPU'S will work well with Intel. Not like they are going to alienate the huge number of Intel users.

The 580 can work better on intel then the ryzen apparently :confused:

Erm..... "The Radeon RX Vega card itself will be coming in a rather slick black, red and silver box, complete with LED lighting on the box itself."

RGB all the things is getting silly :rolleyes:
Display boxes yea - just imagine stacks of boxes in a warehouse for months just flashing away. They have a premium release version for shop front displays and so on but they'd also have a cheaper not special edition version I guess

I hope they launch with their biggest card first, that's the one I want.
I'm sure they would. Give the latest tech to people paying less doesnt add up exactly. I dont mind if they do that personally, my bar for acceptable performance is lower then most just 1080 or so is fine. With time if its not hype it seems AMD drivers and game devs, etc will develop further gains also, awesome

That doesn't matter to me, just the out of box experience and performance. I have no intention off pulling of coolers and setting up a custom loop or 3rd party hybrid cooler.

I just want to install it and get on with it; I also won't be overclocking.
So it's all down to price and performance out of the box for myself, and many.
That is a majority I agree, I think this price level most expect it perfect out of the box and wont buy otherwise. Some will want to break world records with custom cooling and wont even be satisfied with a stock AIO anyway
QVSlj5U.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
More than 3840 cores?

Humbug said Nvidia's workstation cards(plural) use same die as gaming cards.

You said no, the 'Tesla line' uses a bigger die with more cores.

Humbug is 2/3's right and you only 1/3 right. :p

P100 is a 610mm2 die is with the current top tesla card sporting 3584, up to 3840, while GP102 is 471mm2.

Tesla is not a workstation card, it has No display outputs. It's primarily an accelerator, and interfacing.

Quadro's ( workstation cards ) use the same cores as GeForce, hence gimped Double precision.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Soldato
P100 is a 610mm2 die is with the current top tesla card sporting 3584, up to 3840, while GP102 is 471mm2.

Tesla is not a workstation card, it has No display outputs. It's primarily an accelerator.

Quadro's use the same cores as GeForce, hence gimped Double precision.
I mean, you're still wrong here, though. Quadro P5000 and P6000 again, respectively use the same GP104 and GP102 dies as the gaming cards.

Like, you're not disagreeing with humbug's original comment which was:

"nVidia's workstation cards are also the same desktop gaming cards, they just have the compute performance gimped."

I dont understand what you're arguing against!

Bah, anyways...

Associate

Fair enough. Will be really interesting to see where all those transistors have gone to!

Looking at the 580 launch, two things feel likely:
  • The Polaris range of cards are here to stay
  • Vega must be significantly more powerful than Polaris to avoid large price cuts to the 570/80, particularly the high spec cards.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Big news today would not thought to be related but might have an effect is the national election. Thats definitely big enough to move Sterling which could mean a rise in currency value which might help with a lower release price possibly in time with Vega coming out. Lots of maybes

The 580 can work better on intel then the ryzen apparently :confused:

Display boxes yea - just imagine stacks of boxes in a warehouse for months just flashing away. They have a premium release version for shop front displays and so on but they'd also have a cheaper not special edition version I guess

I'm sure they would. Give the latest tech to people paying less doesnt add up exactly. I dont mind if they do that personally, my bar for acceptable performance is lower then most just 1080 or so is fine. With time if its not hype it seems AMD drivers and game devs, etc will develop further gains also, awesome

That is a majority I agree, I think this price level most expect it perfect out of the box and wont buy otherwise. Some will want to break world records with custom cooling and wont even be satisfied with a stock AIO anyway
QVSlj5U.jpg

Come on that's gotta be a graph error on Linus's side, especially seeing as the graph after that shows where they tend to sit for the game regardless of cpu.

Soldato
I mean, you're still wrong here, though. Quadro P5000 and P6000 again, respectively use the same GP104 and GP102 dies as the gaming cards.

Like, you're not disagreeing with humbug's original comment which was:

"nVidia's workstation cards are also the same desktop gaming cards, they just have the compute performance gimped."

I dont understand what you're arguing against!

I never once stated the Quadro cards used different cores?

The way I read that he's saying just the gaming cards have gimped compute, when in fact also the Quadro cards do.
The Tesla 100 is the first NVIDIA card since Kepler to feature full Compute performance and FP64, as even the Quadro's don't have it.

Where as the original thread of ours was about AMD's older cards from Hawaii and prior never had that issue; the top gaming cards had the same compute as top FirePro.

So I surmised that it could be the reason Vega is so darn big considering it's core count; which could mean that they went back to that design of huge chip ( 500-540mm2 ), and using it for top consumer as well. Especially since HBM2 has ECC as a spec feature as well.

Instead of like NVIDIA which has separated those lines now, DP and FP64 only available on G/P100 610mm2, and everything in the Consumer and Workstation line "gimped"; and they only recently even announced the Quadro GP100 which will use the same core as Tesla P100.

a1ff63caafb74924bec17fca5d99cbda.png

cc809398d63c4049ab6179ac497dfd08.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom