• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Too bad the game doesn't appear to be any good. None of the recently released games have lived up to the hype; andromeda was a disappointment, BF1 cost a fortune and had no SP campaign, Battlefront DOA because of the season pass, etc. We seriously need better games. Only game to live up to the hype in recent years: The Witcher 3 (Titanfall 2 - honorable mention).
Battlefield 1 does have a single player campaign.

And you've been sleeping on lots of great games obviously.

Doom
Resident Evil 7
Nier Automata
Shadow Warrior 2
Forza Horizon 3
Dishonored 2
Tyranny
Watch Dogs 2
Xcom 2
The Witness
Dark Souls 3
Overwatch
Rise of the Tomb Raider
SOMA
Pillars of Eternity
Dying Light
Hitman

And these are just the 'bigger' games. There's been tons of amazing smaller titles, too.

You're either ridiculously picky, which is your own problem, not a problem with the industry at the moment, or you're just not even looking at all.

Soldato
Someone over at Reddit has bought up a nice theory of the release date... The star called Vega (the real one, out in space) is 25.05 light years away from Earth... so Vega will be released on the 25th of May :p

Vega (the star) appears with 3 other bright stars in the sky sometimes referred to the "summer triangle"

Thats it then. Half Life 3 confirmed!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I am not blameless - I should have done this sooner but was always in the hope that the currency market would improve and rx480s would drop so make them better bang for buck. I also had crossfire 7950s and for like 18months on a month by month basis hoping AMD would sort their drivers/lives out.

Make sense? :)
Fair enough ;)

Soldato

Doom
Resident Evil 7
Nier Automata
Shadow Warrior 2
Forza Horizon 3
Dishonored 2
Tyranny
Watch Dogs 2
Xcom 2
The Witness
Dark Souls 3
Overwatch
Rise of the Tomb Raider
SOMA
Pillars of Eternity
Dying Light
Hitman

And these are just the 'bigger' games. There's been tons of amazing smaller titles, too.

You're either ridiculously picky, which is your own problem, not a problem with the industry at the moment, or you're just not even looking at all.

ehm on the big titles you should add the Total War Warhammer and Attila since to picked games from two years period, The Division and more.... :)

For me the biggest drive for upgrade is the damned TW games. Rome 2, Attila, Warhammer. Amazing games beating the systems to submission.

Soldato
ehm on the big titles you should add the Total War Warhammer and Attila since to picked games from two years period, The Division and more.... :)

For me the biggest drive for upgrade is the damned TW games. Rome 2, Attila, Warhammer. Amazing games beating the systems to submission.
Yea, my bad. I'm sure I missed a couple others as well.

Associate
Think i did the right thing when i upgraded my Sapphire 7950 to this Sapphire RX 480 last August.. i had a feeling we were in for a long wait with Vega.. I predicted June 29th for Vega to a few friends on Twitch a couple of months ago and im still sticking to that :)

Getting a good 12 months out of the 480 was the thought and seems to be what will happen.. i still have my 7950 in its box, i'll probably put that back in between selling the 480 and grabbing a Vega :p

Associate
Think i did the right thing when i upgraded my Sapphire 7950 to this Sapphire RX 480 last August.. i had a feeling we were in for a long wait with Vega.. I predicted June 29th for Vega to a few friends on Twitch a couple of months ago and im still sticking to that :)

Getting a good 12 months out of the 480 was the thought and seems to be what will happen.. i still have my 7950 in its box, i'll probably put that back in between selling the 480 and grabbing a Vega :p

I think there may be a few of us on 'stop gap' cards which may turn out to be one of the most long-standing cards we've owned.

Associate
A RX480 Polaris consumes as much power as GP104 GTX 1070, a Rx580 Polaris consumes more power than an GP104 GTX1080. While Polaris is an improvement over Hawaii and Fiji it still consumes far to much power and puts out to much heat for the performance you get.

To get the Pascal levels efficient as well as top end performance is a big ask for a GCN improvement personally I think they would need something new to pull that off.

Unlike Ryzen (or even Polaris), AMD have not been saying too much about Vega Performance compared to the products of the competition.

Nvidia did it with Kepler>Maxwell. I don't see why AMD cannot with the time they have had to create Vega. With the circumstantial evidence pointing to Polaris being intended for 20nm, it's effectively late while they waited for the performance and economics of 14nm FF to work out. So if your are extrapolating from the release date and performance metrics of Polaris it could put you way off the mark. I'm cautiously optimistic.

My concern is that their new cache hierachy with their HBCC as an intermediary designed towards enabling hardware/resource scaling might hinder performance in gaming workloads and effect gaming perf/power efficiency.

Associate
I think there may be a few of us on 'stop gap' cards which may turn out to be one of the most long-standing cards we've owned.

Im very happy with the 30-40% perf increase over the 7950, especially as i only bought the 4GB version for £210. At 1080p with FreeSync its doing a fine job :)

I most likely wont buy Vega on release, i tend to wait a month or so and see how the new tech pans out.

The 480 is definitely a stop gap though :)

Soldato

Doom
Resident Evil 7
Nier Automata
Shadow Warrior 2
Forza Horizon 3
Dishonored 2
Tyranny
Watch Dogs 2
Xcom 2
The Witness
Dark Souls 3
Overwatch
Rise of the Tomb Raider
SOMA
Pillars of Eternity
Dying Light
Hitman
Bayonetta
Titianfall 2
Robo Recall

Fixed that for you :)

Soldato
Nvidia did it with Kepler>Maxwell. I don't see why AMD cannot with the time they have had to create Vega. With the circumstantial evidence pointing to Polaris being intended for 20nm, it's effectively late while they waited for the performance and economics of 14nm FF to work out. So if your are extrapolating from the release date and performance metrics of Polaris it could put you way off the mark. I'm cautiously optimistic.

That's the sort of PPW and IPC increase Vega needs and then some after so much time waiting, given how quiet AMD have been on the performance compared to Ryzen pre-release I don't think it's going to get close to big pascal in IPC or small pascal in PPW.

I would love AMD to smash it like old days of the 9700pro or even the 5870

Associate
I bought a 480 as a temporary card over a month ago now. Gave up waiting and upgraded to a used 1080.

The 580 release and now this new pro duo card just tells me Vega is far off or not as good as people hope it will be.

Not necessarily. Could be:

Too many Polaris dies stockpiled and gives another model to sell.
Need to meet a superficially important release cadence for investors/market perception.
Vega pro duo not going to released until way after Vega release (supply constraints).
Cheaper alternative to a more expensive Vega and a very expensive Vega pro duo.

Associate
That's the sort of PPW and IPC increase Vega needs and then some after so much time waiting, given how quiet AMD have been on the performance compared to Ryzen pre-release I don't think it's going to get close to big pascal in IPC or small pascal in PPW.

I would love AMD to smash it like old days of the 9700pro or even the 5870

The other worry is that they clock Vega's nuts off.
Maybe they should consider effectively paper launching the Vega Nano alongside the the actual launch of top performance model.

Soldato
The other worry is that they clock Vega's nuts off.
Maybe they should consider effectively paper launching the Vega Nano alongside the the actual launch of top performance model.

Performance out of the box is the most important thing. If it's clocked near the high end the majority won't give a damn. On here overclocking is something people want but for me the faster it is out of the box the better.

It's not like Pascal has much overclocking headroom either. Nothing like as much as Maxwell had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom