• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD vs Intel Single threading?

Caporegime
Amd will need Zen3 to take an absolute lead if rumored improvements are true.

Right now a 9900k(s) can oc all cores to 5.2ghz and hold that clock.

That’s just not something the zen2 8 core chips can keep up with.

With that said unless you enjoy the overclocking process, a zen chip will run closer to its max potential than a 9900k

If you're looking for an 8 core CPU why would you spend £200 more for at best 5% more performance?

If you spend the same money you get about 40% higher performance with the 3900X.

Slowest 3800X: Score 5365: AMD Ryzen R7 3800X at 4.45Ghz, Nghtmare
Fastest 9900K: Score 5784: Intel Core i9 9900K at 5.45Ghz, RSR
Slowest 3900X: Score 7151: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X at Stock, Pete910
Fastest 3900X: Score 8078: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X at PBO, cliffy

Associate
Some of us have owned coffee lake refreshes for a year now. If I was buying today I’d get a cheap 3600 and drop in a 4000 series next year and ride that out.

Caporegime
I had a soft spot for the 8700K, still do. it should have been the new 9600K, had Intel done that AMD would not have stolen the "Mainstream sales crown" from Intel with the 3600, theres one slide doing the rounds which has shown the 3600 has sold more units than Intel have sold CPU's full stop.

This disabling SMT to segment SKU hierarchy always seemed a little Scrooge on Intel's part and having done it yet again in the face of what Intel knew was coming has hurt them on the Desktop a lot, deservedly so.

IF the Ryzen 4000 rumours are true AMD will have 30% higher IPC than Coffeelake, AMD are running away with it, Intel need to come up with something drastic at this point, nothing like that or much at all really is in sight/

Last edited:
Soldato
Even if Intel were in front, I'd still buy AMD because of Intel's bad practices and shocking foul play over the years. Seriously, there comes a time when ethics take precedence over performance.

Soldato
OP
People talk about Ram speed being important with AMD is that just Gaming or does that include general desktop single / multi threading tasks?

Man of Honour
People talk about Ram speed being important with AMD is that just Gaming or does that include general desktop single / multi threading tasks?

Pretty much everything - though there is a point where you get diminishing returns - 2000 series for instance sees fairly big gains upto 3000MHz with reasonable timings and a moderate gain to 3200MHz but after that it is generally negligible.

Associate
I really want to buy an AMD system but I can't justify it as my 8086k does everyting I need. I thought about getting a threadripper system but I've got an old Dell R720 server for my home lab that does everything I need.
I must have specced up a threadripper or Ryzen 3 system about 50 times on OCUK but just can bring myself to pull the trigger.

Man of Honour
Yeah - I'm pretty bored with my current setups but they do everything I need :( which makes it difficult to justify spending money to play with anything newer (properly as in my own setup - I do build newer systems from time to time for work or other people, etc.).

Soldato
You can overclock all Ryzen chips and Intel generally get left in the dust. The K chips hold up somewhat but difference is tiny and under pretty specific situations. Intel just can’t compete.

So if both clock speeds were the same AMD and Intel, which would win using only 1 thread/core?

Man of Honour
So if both clock speeds were the same AMD and Intel, which would win using only 1 thread/core?

Depends on what you are testing - some encoding tasks that only run on a single core can differ a lot between what architecture they run best on even without specific compiler optimisations, etc. generally though the latest Ryzen CPUs compete well against anything Intel has out there. I think what people are missing is that it isn't just about the MHz at play here though but also you need to consider how well and for how long the various CPUs can hold their boost clocks and/or how far you can push it forcing higher fixed clocks - some games for instance while largely "single core" dependant will still have 2-3 other cores low to moderately loaded and that can completely change the nature of boost behaviour and what CPU actually comes out on top over say an hour of playing (including taking things like minimum framerates into account).

Soldato
OP
Pretty much everything - though there is a point where you get diminishing returns - 2000 series for instance sees fairly big gains upto 3000MHz with reasonable timings and a moderate gain to 3200MHz but after that it is generally negligible.

I'm glad i didn't buy any of those cheap 2300MHz deals.

Associate
Should probably use the newer version of Maxon Cinema 4D.

Of course IPC is application dependant and Cinebench R15 is known for using a slower code path when AMD is detected, These days application vendors tend not to play this game and with that Intel have taken to creating their own benchmarking application suites and calling them "real world performance" what Intel are doing is benchmarking the CPU's themselves on their own software creations and marketing that expecting you to nood, clap and buy their crap.

I think what 8K4K is driving at is 'all things being equal' Ryzen 3000 IPC is so high it often over comes the higher clock speed of Coffeelake.

aL8Anqv.png

Principled Technologies made one of these "real-world" benchmark called WebXPRT for intel. Same company that benched the 2700X against the 9900K and initially said the latter is 50% faster. After re-doing the test because it was called out, the final result was 11% faster. My bad - 12%.

Soldato
Depends on what you are testing - some encoding tasks that only run on a single core can differ a lot between what architecture they run best on even without specific compiler optimisations, etc. generally though the latest Ryzen CPUs compete well against anything Intel has out there. I think what people are missing is that it isn't just about the MHz at play here though but also you need to consider how well and for how long the various CPUs can hold their boost clocks and/or how far you can push it forcing higher fixed clocks - some games for instance while largely "single core" dependant will still have 2-3 other cores low to moderately loaded and that can completely change the nature of boost behaviour and what CPU actually comes out on top over say an hour of playing (including taking things like minimum framerates into account).

I always have turbo boost disabled and set my clockspeeds manually, because I have the cpu to lower clockspeeds when idel anyway, so I dont see the point with turbo boost.

Soldato
I really want to buy an AMD system but I can't justify it as my 8086k does everyting I need. I thought about getting a threadripper system but I've got an old Dell R720 server for my home lab that does everything I need.
I must have specced up a threadripper or Ryzen 3 system about 50 times on OCUK but just can bring myself to pull the trigger.

Nothing that setup can't do well for a while to come. You've just got the "itch" havent' you? :D

Soldato
I can remember when amd was way ahead of intel during the amd64 days and I went with amd and bought the FX55 cpu, cost me like £500... But at the moment it depends what your doing,,, office and multi tasks,amd will do you well and either intel or amd will do the job if gaming as the margins are so small in fps terms.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom