• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs intel

Soldato
I'm either going to buy a GTX 1080ti or a RTX 2080.
I am currently on a 4670k/8GB RAM and think it might be worth upgrading them.

I now do video editting and photo editting, the 4670k sucks at 4k video editting.

I mostly game though and emulation is a thing I sometimes use.

What are my options, intel versus AMD?

Caporegime
Whatever you buy will be good for one and great for the other.

The i7 8700K is the best gaming chip on the planet, as well as emulation, but on 4K editing you'd be better off with a Ryzen 8C/16T if it's able to use the threads.

Soldato
OP
Whatever you buy will be good for one and great for the other.

The i7 8700K is the best gaming chip on the planet, as well as emulation, but on 4K editing you'd be better off with a Ryzen 8C/16T if it's able to use the threads.

Thank you! Is there anything coming out in the next few months to make me smart to hold fire? I don't mind upgrading in pieces.

Soldato
Thank you! Is there anything coming out in the next few months to make me smart to hold fire? I don't mind upgrading in pieces.

Well, Intel are releasing the 8c/16t i9 9900K October 1st apparently. In theory you have the superior gaming performance with the name number of cores and threads as the Ryzen 2700X, so it may be the best mainstream chip you can get, but it'll be expensive. In practice, wait for benchmarks. For all we know the 8 core Intel chips will choke under their own thermal load and perform worse than the 6 cores.

But of course, with Intel you won't get any upgrade path. The 9900K is rumoured to be locked to the new Z390 boards and I fully expect the 10th generation stuff to completely change socket. At least with AMD they're committed to AM4 until 2020 so you have options as new Ryzen CPUs are released.

Soldato
Well, Intel are releasing the 8c/16t i9 9900K October 1st apparently. In theory you have the superior gaming performance with the name number of cores and threads as the Ryzen 2700X, so it may be the best mainstream chip you can get, but it'll be expensive. In practice, wait for benchmarks. For all we know the 8 core Intel chips will choke under their own thermal load and perform worse than the 6 cores.

But of course, with Intel you won't get any upgrade path. The 9900K is rumoured to be locked to the new Z390 boards and I fully expect the 10th generation stuff to completely change socket. At least with AMD they're committed to AM4 until 2020 so you have options as new Ryzen CPUs are released.
I think Intel expected the 8th generation chips to have a completely new socket but couldn't because they needed a rushed response to Ryzen. They probably also expected the 9th generation chips to have a completely new socket but couldn't because 10 nm still wasn't ready.

Soldato
OP
to be fair i've never upgraded my CPU... its always just been a new rig so I'm not sure if upgrade path really matters to me...

Soldato
to be fair i've never upgraded my CPU... its always just been a new rig so I'm not sure if upgrade path really matters to me...
Mostly there hasn't been much sense in it if originally having bought higher end CPU.
And then Intel started frequently changing sockets even though actual improvements to CPU got more and more minimal...

While also development of multithreading in games stagnated seriously, because Intel kept milking with quad cores and keeping base level at two cores.
(for example better physics modeling could use extra threads rather easily)

Caporegime
at the end of the day you decide how much editing you do. if its only a small percentage and rest is gaming intel is the best option.if its only part time editing then the intel chip will be more than fire for that.

Associate
What res are you going to be playing at? Intel starts to loose its edge as the res increases, I think the 2700x and 8700k are pretty neck and neck when you get to 4K.

If you do plan on playing now or in the near future at 4K then you may be better off with a 2700x due to the advantages with editing.

Obviously the 9th gen CPU's may change this if you are willing to wait.

Soldato
Obviously the 9th gen CPU's may change this if you are willing to wait.
While AMD will release improved Zen2 architecture CPUs made on 7nm node in winter spring period.
(and it's refresh with tweaked manufacturing process year later)
Looking long term Intel doesn't have that much to advertise right now.
It's not even sure if their "9th" gen has any hardware level mitigations to speculative code execution vulnerabilities.

Associate
im looking forward to zen 2 by all accounts its going to be a beast will be interesting to see where threadripper is going to go on the zen 2 architecture

Back
Top Bottom