• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs. Nvidia Image Quality - Old man yells at cloud

Soldato
Its that debate again, only this time abit of a different approach in the testing.

It would seem both vendors have better image quality depending on game! Forza was the clear winner here from the other titles followed by FarCry 5 for Nvidia.
I know they is a few guys on here that are convinced AMD does have a better image quality but I honestly believe that is to do with the default GPU colour output.
Nvidia really need to address that tbh

P.S keep this clean please

Soldato
OP
That is just default color profiles though. Nvidia use more realistic color tones by default, AMD jack up saturation and vibrancy , which is how you sell cheap TVs to consumers.

I believe Nvidia keep the color profiles of the Gerforce cards the same as for professional Quadro cards, while AMD's Firepro cards aim for more realistic colors and vibrancy and look closer to Nvidia.

Amd settings by default are all default, they at normal setting.
The colour difference is from the full pc range RGB AMD have on by default.
Nvidia is using limited RGB giving a washed out colour.
So how can nvidia have a more "realistic" tone when by default it's limited? Lol

Soldato
OP
image quality depends on desired framerate in games. e.g vega 64 vs 1080ti, vega64 will have worse image quality since it will have to run at medium settings to achieve similar framerate as the 1080ti which runs ultra settings.

Ay?
Ultra at 30fps vs ultra at 60fps will be the same lol

The flow of motion is the only thing that changes.

Soldato
OP
Ok so once again these forums and its inhabitant's don't fail to deliver.

@shankly1985 posts up a video talking about image quality, which has a conclusion that their isn't really any difference, the difference is, well different, Game by Game.

Of course the forum being the way it is soon descends into bedlam with one team being much worse than the other. Now being that Shankly posted it up and he even put does AMD give a better picture ?! in the title. I am very pleasantly surprised to find the conclusion that there isn't really any difference to actually be the conclusion.
So thank you Shankly, for posting up an interesting vid that has sparked a not all that surprising conversation. Cheers.

Anyway all that aside, on the full colour vs limited colour spectrum issue, I have found that it all depends what device or screen you are plugging it into. Most screens default to 'with the video player settings', whereas plugging it into my Denon AV AMP it defaults to 'with NVIDIA settings' and 'Full (0-255)'

As for the quality slider for me it defaults to 'let the 3D application decide.'
As for previous misdemeanours, both red and green team have had plenty so their is no need revisit them here.

Read my original post, the title of the thread was pulled directly from the video title.
My view on this isn't any more than what the video says. I not used nvidia in a long time and nor have I ever owned both at the same time.
What I did say though is definitely correct a lot of people will noticed that limited RGB vs Full RGB will make amd looking better.

Nvidia only added a toggle for full RGB with driver version 347.09. All this time amd defaulted to full PC range RGB.

Soldato
OP
For the record this is what AMD colour settings are by default, all balanced and colour temp meets the standard for what monitors should be calibrated at 6500k

600889012f391055e0fc49e44303bb2350939452bc5aa992d0c6925f2e9a558d589ada8c.jpg

Soldato
OP
The quality of the video is perfect, no compression defects are there, 1440p60.
I see only the left hand side being always the better image quality wise - in one game the right hand side was even missing the sun spots in the room.

Its not really a fair comparison. Most of these games tested have dynamic lighting, it really is hard to test 1 to 1.

Soldato
OP
Interesting, is it not?

Even this screenshot isn't 1 to 1. Sure its the same part of the game but both show different stages in motion. The issue with AMD being better than Nvidia for image quality is Nvidia own doing. For years AMD defaulted to the correct PC RGB ranges while Nvidia refused to support them on HDMI. It was only over the last 4 years I think now Nvidia added driver support.

So up until Nvidia released that driver AMD did have the better image quality because they showed the correct PC RGB levels. This has now stuck with Nvidia quite similar like AMD was known for being bad drivers. The past remained with them.

Nvidia still do default to the wrong RGB level but that can now be changed, so if the game is a 1 to 1 comparison I think you find it quite hard to see a difference.

Soldato
OP
What do you mean?
The facts speak for themselves:

That is recent, before the big change AMD was known to have the label "Bad Driver" While I never had issues myself that still didn't stop the internet. Its since the big change that AMD has step up and created a driver software that has taken over nvidia.

Edit
Even your highlight link speaks volume to what I saying to you. :D

Soldato
OP
Quite agreed and in my time with both, I have had nothing worth whinging about in truth. What 4k8k is on about is the testing AMD paid someone to do. We did have a big discussion on it here back then also.

When I say over taken I really mean feature set. Mostly comparing what I use day to day, Relive has more options, Radeon Chill I swear by now for limiting my FPS etc without dragging this thread into a drive by :D

Soldato
OP
Can't see any issue with my GF's 750Ti on the OLED.

Switch to RGB full and you will. Its a fact! Its not just me sitting here saying this! Its an actual fact that limited PC range = washed out image. Set it to PC Full range "Its called that for a reason" and calibrate the display for its best possible image.

Go on Youtube and look at the countless video and tell me Limited RGB looks better LOL

Soldato
OP
I dunno where this idea got around that a lot of people have limited range RGB running - it is only edge cases and certain displays (mostly TVs or identify like a TV) where that happens - most people will already be on full RGB.

Its actually monitors also and monitors connected by HDMI. DisplayPort is not an issue that has always defaulted to full range on both Nvidia and AMD.

Soldato
OP
Even on HDMI generally monitors will already be running full RGB - seems a couple of YouTubers decided it is a more common thing and suddenly everyone is going with it.

It really doesn't Nvidia didn't even have the option for Full range till recently. Its always default to full range on AMD both HDMI or DisplayPort.

Nvidia default is limited RGB even still to this day it must be changed.

Not watched all this video yet but even they say almost all there monitors default to limited RGB range.

Soldato
OP
Yup, GTA V looks like a TWIMTBP title, featuring nvidia's things, and those reflections should be some type of pre-ray-tracing image optimisations.

Anyways, still, the AMD card provides better image quality in the areas which are supported by it.
We all know that AMD doesn't support nvidia's features, and doesn't support ray-tracing.

NVIDIA Hints at GTA V For PC In Fall 2013 – Could Be Optimized For GeForce Cards?
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-hints-gta-v-pc-fall-2013-optimized-geforce-cards/

???

GTA 5 has tech in the game from both Nvidia and AMD it wasn't a sponsored title at all. Both AMD and Nvidia released optimised drivers for the game at release. Not sure why that video has reflections turned off for the AMD card not watched it.

Edit

Raytracing? LOL in GTA 5 ???

Back
Top Bottom