• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs. Nvidia Image Quality - Old man yells at cloud

Soldato
OP
Tbh this thread is way past its date. This issue here is nothing more than AMD Vs Nvidia default out of box setting.

Now I can not disagree with everything they is genuine people in here that have switched between the two manufacturers and say they notice amd is better image.

So who knows what is what

Soldato
OP
Not only wuld AMd be all over it but Nvidia drivers would fail MS certification. DX specifies in detail exactly the precison of output required for all functions in the API. The output of the framebuffer has to be exact to a framebuffer within any limits of floating point arithmetic. There simply isn't any scope to change the image quality of the internal rendering. Anyone talking about compression or drivers not rendering anything are taking complete BS. The differences are simply in the output and how each IGV defines their color space, contrast, WB, gamma defaults.

Nvidia aim for a more professional look, AMD go for an overly saturated look like TVs in a salesroom. Both can be made to look like the other within 30secodns of driver settings

I do need to disagree with you here. AMD default settings are very natural colour to them and are defo not over saturated. Nvidia out of box is farcry from a professional look LOL Come on DP please they not even using the correct PC colour range at all its TV range for TVs not PC how the hell is that "PROFESSIONAL"

Here are some screenshots from my Red Dead 2 default AMD colour

21197936759f2d9644ff7486dc5a8b7f33d9f7c5ef94561cc1e1d0f29da99e8c197141fa.jpg
069507440acdb4c0d58ef203039612da9dfcecf80cd1043f792569419c99d8d89a041f11.jpg
5423522247e690aeabfa87f492a5bd84ccfdcdacff2d9e0873ad942fceaacd1d8be8d153.jpg

Soldato
OP
No? this has been discussed soo many times in this thread alone. It shouldnt need repeating. It's just one setting, a setting that default to the wrong parameters for *some* displays on HDMI only. How is yours a balanced opinion when you still ignore this?

Jesus, GC is an absolute cesspit.

No I am correcting DP in him saying nvidia default to a professional grade profile that is completely wrong not even amd or Intel is professional grade out the box.

Amd default is a balanced profile using the correct PC range
Nvidia default is a TV standard it does not matter if its some displays only it's still a default option that the driver aims for.

That is where all this talk of worst image quality comes from.

Soldato
OP
It does matter, because people like you lambaste nVidia for a simple setting that takes seconds to change. If it was any other piece of kit you would ignore out of the box settings, but because its nVidia you cling to it like faeces. It's dishonest at best and it needs to stop.

Clearly, no it isnt. It's just one of many 'problems' people are misunderstanding.

I think you very much misunderstanding my point of view on this matter.

I have said even in OP all this nvidia has worst image quality is simply nothing more than a simple setting change.
I do not go around saying nvidia has worst image quality like some in here.

How much I care about this check my post count in here.
I couldn't careless tbh what I do care about is miss information that gets passed around like DP saying nvidia is professional grade out the box.

Soldato
OP
Oh geez, we're back to this again. Nvidia is using default 0-255 on my system. If you connect it to a TV it will use 16-235, it's correct as the majority of TVs is 16-235. It's an auto detect feature.

I always love how some speak of limited/16-235 is some god awful settings. Your broadcast and movies is viewed in 16-235. It's only bad, full or limited if both are setup wrong. Which so many fall foul of. Google displays so many of those who has set it up wrong. Or don't know.

It's no wonder old man yells at the cloud.

I take it you using DisplayPort? it doesn't matter if its a TV or not some monitor when connected with Hdmi on nvidia use the TV range.

Soldato
OP
Yes, Display Port. Even DVI uses 0-255. HDMI is auto detect for TV. You can tell right away if the range is wrong with test patterns or that LCD Lagom site.

DisplayPort and Dvi are PC standards for audio and video that is why they default to the correct range.

Hdmi on AMD always defaults to full range with or without a TV connected, least in all the TVs I have connected over the years.

Nvidia is different in they select full range or limited based on the display for its default settings

Soldato
OP
Can you confirm the blacks aren't crushed if AMD defaults to full? Assuming the TV is also set to full or whatever it is called on said model. Some people think the image was better when you then find out their shadow and white detail was crushed.

On my old TVs I did manually set the TV to Full range within its settings.

My current TV I don't think has the option I must check this I don't use my pc with TV that much anymore.

I remember few years ago this also being a big talking point with the PlayStation 3 and it's colour output RGB Range back then I think it was quite new for TVs to have Full Range I think now all modern TVs have Full RGB range.

Soldato
OP
For the people thinking they will never see anything from me again with regards to image quality in this thread this is what ive spent a lot of today doing. Yes my camera stand is a modified pringles pot and yes i did draw a circle around it and marker lines so i can get it into the same place every time.

Im still trying to finish off some tests but hopefully ill have some shots and videos even if im not completely finished testing very soon.

Got to give you massive credit here for taking this on.

Back
Top Bottom