• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs. Nvidia Image Quality - Old man yells at cloud

You notice it on some things more than others. What I really first noticed it on was the sparks and electricity/lightning effects in HL2. On AMD it popped out more against the backdrop.

Yawn cant believe this has reached 22 pages on yet another image quality perception thread. ;) Who cares. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It's not about beauty. But about proper crisp image that the GeForces can't reproduce. I won't buy a GF card because of this because the image is full with defects.

Yawn cant believe this has reached 22 pages on yet another image quality perception thread. ;) Who cares. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The whole point of buying a high end GPU is to have the best fidelity at the highest performance, not one or the other.

Talking about image quality as a discussion in a GPU sub forum is actually the most relevant thread in this entire sub forum.

Is that what you thought when you posted that dithered to hell and back screenshot from CS Source?

Have you ever posted an image produced with a GeForce in order for people to see the missing dust particles in the light shafts in the house of Militia?
I posted that image in order to showcase what's there, not to pretend that I have a super quality camera. I don't.

This is one of the most prominent defects - lack of detail. Lack of foliage in the trees/bushes/grass across the games.
The others are: - irregular shape and size of the fonts in 2D under some browser settings; and not accurate colours reproduction.

Have you ever posted an image produced with a GeForce in order for people to see the missing dust particles in the light shafts in the house of Militia?
I posted that image in order to showcase what's there, not to pretend that I have a super quality camera. I don't.

This is one of the most prominent defects - lack of detail. Lack of foliage in the trees/bushes/grass across the games.
The others are: - irregular shape and size of the fonts in 2D under some browser settings; and not accurate colours reproduction.

Were people complaining about GeForce in the PS3?

Yes, I did. In this thread.

Seen this first hand myself. My mate bought a 1080ti from a 290x. First thing we noticed was how garbage Nvidias colour was. We were playing Rocket league at the time with me on the 290x which was side by side on a way cheaper monitor. Rocket league has colours in spades yet looked crap in comparison. Still never stopped him getting a 2080ti. I wear glasses as well lol but it's easy to see even when the Nvidia card was connected to a predator v a lower end lg screen and set up. Was night and day and yea made sure full rgb more was enabled. So either the predator was crap or Nvidia actually do have a worse colour profile. I never seem to here this arguement on the opposite side either which again enforces that yea AMD do have a better quality.

The whole point of buying a high end GPU is to have the best fidelity at the highest performance, not one or the other.

Talking about image quality as a discussion in a GPU sub forum is actually the most relevant thread in this entire sub forum.

For the umpteenth time. :) Always same when no new cards are on the horizon the same old threads get regurgitated :p

Seen this first hand myself. My mate bought a 1080ti from a 290x. First thing we noticed was how garbage Nvidias colour was. We were playing Rocket league at the time with me on the 290x which was side by side on a way cheaper monitor. Rocket league has colours in spades yet looked crap in comparison. Still never stopped him getting a 2080ti. I wear glasses as well lol but it's easy to see even when the Nvidia card was connected to a predator v a lower end lg screen and set up. Was night and day and yea made sure full rgb more was enabled. So either the predator was crap or Nvidia actually do have a worse colour profile. I never seem to here this arguement on the opposite side either which again enforces that yea AMD do have a better quality.

Which predator was it? the ones that have the high refresh AUO panel have washed out colour out the box, little better on later revisions, and you need to calibrate/adjust the gamma in software which kind of sucks - but at the time there weren't many options for a high resolution, high refresh panel so it was easier to accept the limitations. I think it is intentional to mask the colour banding you get in certain situations with those panels.

As I've said over many many years of posting here I've personally noticed AMD cards having slightly better colour saturation/vibrancy when all else is equal but I've never seen it as a massive difference like some are making out unless in some way people are not comparing like for like.

One aspect I've occasionally seen as well is AMD and nVidia having a slightly different implementation of gamma ramp/overbright bits which can make certain games look different when certain settings are used - mostly relevant to certain older games.

No, it is entirely irrelevant because the GPUs are digital and the DX standards require specific precision and output of all operations otherwise the GPU would not be certified. AMD and Nvidia produce near identical images internally, but can output different gamma, temperatures, contrast and vibrancy. Nvidia chooses a more natural tone, AMD goes for an oversaturated look. You can make both look like each other in a few clicks.

Everything else is just BS. All these so called examples of differences and phony explanations such as compression are just laughable.

I like how people think image quality is only colour hue/saturation and contrast, theres plenty of other things that make up image quality that is being discussed here.
And those things are all near identical between NVidia and AMD .

Which predator was it? the ones that have the high refresh AUO panel have washed out colour out the box, little better on later revisions, and you need to calibrate/adjust the gamma in software which kind of sucks - but at the time there weren't many options for a high resolution, high refresh panel so it was easier to accept the limitations. I think it is intentional to mask the colour banding you get in certain situations with those panels.

As I've said over many many years of posting here I've personally noticed AMD cards having slightly better colour saturation/vibrancy when all else is equal but I've never seen it as a massive difference like some are making out unless in some way people are not comparing like for like.

One aspect I've occasionally seen as well is AMD and nVidia having a slightly different implementation of gamma ramp/overbright bits which can make certain games look different when certain settings are used - mostly relevant to certain older games.

I've not seen these differences that many claim even having NVIDIA/ATi/AMD on Mac and PC with calibrated screens.

Too many are so deep in their biases for the brands.

Everyone isnt biased though thats the easy cop out.

Could be argued any one on Nv is biased and thats why they say there is no difference.

Some wont be able to see any difference due to their eyesite(que the I have perfect eyesite despite being an old duffer:p)

Not surprised anyone going from AMD to Nv notices the diference, Amd out the box is a more vibrant experience with colours.

Wont be using AMD anytime soon as they are way way behind with late to market comparable features/performance to price, that Im interested in but AMD's colour output straight out the box is superior imo and reading through the thread plenty that dont care for brands have stated too.

If AMD were to ever get back to an even release/performance with Nv again and be best bang for buck I could be swayed, but until then its Nv all the way and i'll put up with changing the Nvcp if needed.

The performance delta if there is one I couldnt care less, but again side by side out the box for me AMD is the better picture.

Everyone isnt biased though thats the easy cop out.

Could be argued any one on Nv is biased and thats why they say there is no difference.

Some wont be able to see any difference due to their eyesite(que the I have perfect eyesite despite being an old duffer:p)

Not surprised anyone going from AMD to Nv notices the diference, Amd out the box is a more vibrant experience with colours.

Wont be using AMD anytime soon as they are way way behind with late to market comparable features/performance to price, that Im interested in but AMD's colour output straight out the box is superior imo and reading through the thread plenty that dont care for brands have stated too.

If AMD were to ever get back to an even release/performance with Nv again and be best bang for buck I could be swayed, but until then its Nv all the way and i'll put up with changing the Nvcp if needed.

The performance delta if there is one I couldnt care less, but again side by side out the box for me AMD is the better picture.

I was on ATi/AMD from 2003 until 2017. You don't think after all that time coming from ATi after all those years to NVIDIA that it's screaming massive downgrade? Heck I still use AMD on the Mac and cannot tell much difference if at all.

Back
Top Bottom