• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD: You'll hear more from us on G-Sync soon

Tom Petersen said Amd can't run it as there is a chip on the gpu that enables Gsync, it isn't just software based on the gpu side.
I can't see why any extra hardware would be required. All the GPU is doing is sending completed frames to the monitor as they're completed rather than at set intervals. Doing that over DVI or HDMI might require specific support hardware as those interfaces can't vary timing on a frame-by-frame basis, but G-Sync works over display port. DP is a packet based protocol, much like ethernet, and is flexible enough to cope - in fact I'm pretty sure all the required functionality is already part of the DP v1.2 standard to enable support for Panel Self Refresh and seamless refresh rate switching, and that's the reason why NVidia says G-Sync needs a DP v1.2 link to work.

tbh I'd be amazed if it takes more than a minor driver tweak for AMD to support G-Sync or, better still, a non-proprietary alternative.

Maybe AMD will release a small piece of hardware that you connect to the GPU and monitor which will allow G sync to work? Not sure if that's possible, or does the monitor need to have a specific chip in it?

It's very unlikely they'll enable it to work with g-sync branded models, but the most likely situation is that MANY other monitors will enable a g-sync mode in everything but the Nvidia name for it and it will simply work without the need for any other hardware.

Nvidia has basically got together with Asus, said why the **** aren't monitor makers doing this, Asus have replied...... because no one bothered to ask us to do it. Nvidia have made an fpga and got together with Asus to do this before anyone had a chance to do it first, and change through the teeth for a ridiculously simple idea. Once everyone else catches up to the idea, every screen will have it as a basic feature at precisely zero extra cost, and it will work with any gpu because nothing at all has to change gpu side.

It's very unlikely they'll enable it to work with g-sync branded models, but the most likely situation is that MANY other monitors will enable a g-sync mode in everything but the Nvidia name for it and it will simply work without the need for any other hardware.

Nvidia has basically got together with Asus, said why the **** aren't monitor makers doing this, Asus have replied...... because no one bothered to ask us to do it. Nvidia have made an fpga and got together with Asus to do this before anyone had a chance to do it first, and change through the teeth for a ridiculously simple idea. Once everyone else catches up to the idea, every screen will have it as a basic feature at precisely zero extra cost, and it will work with any gpu because nothing at all has to change gpu side.
I won't be getting rid of my 120hz samsung screen any time soon, but if AMD can get a G sync equivalent working on AMD cards without the need for extra hardware that would be great. I'm sure i read recently that G sync would only work with 144hz monitors though.. Sounds like a bs cash grab to me.

I can't see why they have to be 144Hz

they don't, this rumour started because the demo model was the Asus 144hz one, but there will be a full range of 60hz/IPS/VA/1440/4K monitors coming out with it as stated on NVidia's own web page and in most of the new reviews that are popping up

So does Nvidia have a patent on this simple technology? If it was Apple, and another company introduced something similar,it would be going through the courts in no time :)

I highly suggest some of you grab some popcorn and sit down to watch the pcper interview with one of the guys at nvidia who is working with gsync. It is over an hour long but explains so much that some are taking for granted, especially the q&a in the later stages of the video.

Panel compatability is down to the panel interface, if it has the interface nvidia are using (as the vg248qe has) then its highly likely nvidia can get gsync running on that panel. It also sounds like fully supported 2d lightboost is in the works too :)

Gsync's range is 30-144 at the moment, so any 'refresh' that sits in between those figures will work fine with it. This I think, also means you won't notice low frames until you drop below 30fps.

Good times, I like progression and both teams are hard at it.

Last edited:
I highly suggest some of you grab some popcorn and sit down to watch the pcper interview with one of the guys at nvidia who is working with gsync. It is over an hour long but explains so much that some are taking for granted, especially the q&a in the later stages of the video.

Panel compatability is down to the panel interface, if it has the interface nvidia are using (as the vg248qe has) then its highly likely nvidia can get gsync running on that panel. It also sounds like fully supported 2d lightboost is in the works too :)

Good times, I like progression and both teams are hard at it.

+1

A boring video unless you have an interest but will clear up a lot of misconceptions of what G-Sync actually is and saves a lot of embarrassing statements like "It only works on 144Hz panels" or "I am not interested, as I don't want a TN panel"

Worth a watch anyways :)

There's been lots of embarrassing statements this week :p, the least said the better.;)

Plenty of reasons not to spend cash on Gsync from my pov:

I'm not interested because my fps are high enough not to give a jot.

I'm not interested because I'm not getting tied to to a gpu manufacturer that could take a tanking in performance next gen or next from the competition for a comparable/less cost outlay.

I'm not shelling out cash to lose features and add another purchase to re-enable features.

If AMD have an answer and it's free or open source, fine, if not I won't loose any sleep as I'm banging high enough fps to worry about screen tear with vsync disabled on a 120Hz Lightboost native 3D panel(AMD/Nvidia) and was ridiculously cheap on offer last year(sub £130).:D

A boring video unless you have an interest but will clear up a lot of misconceptions of what G-Sync actually is and saves a lot of embarrassing statements like "It only works on 144Hz panels" or "I am not interested, as I don't want a TN panel"

I'd only be interested once it comes with IPS 1440P panels. Can't go back to TN now, but each to their own.

Back
Top Bottom