• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD: You'll hear more from us on G-Sync soon

So does Nvidia have a patent on this simple technology? If it was Apple, and another company introduced something similar,it would be going through the courts in no time :)

You can't patent a result, what you can do it patent how you get to said result.
For example, you can't patent electricity, you can only patent how you make it.

Nvidia can patent the name G-Sync, they can patent the components if they designed them, which they didn't as they are off the shelf from third parties.

All AMD would have to do is get to the same result in a slightly different way and call it anything other than G-Sync.

Last edited:
You can't patent a result, what you can do it patent how you get to said result.
For example, you can't patent electricity, you can only patent how you make it.

Nvidia can patent the name G-Sync, they can patent the components if they designed them, which they didn't as they are off the shelf from third parties.

All AMD would have to do is get to the same result in a slightly different way and call it anything other than G-Sync.

Unless its Apple, in which case they'll try sue you anyhow :p

Patent laws are very tricky which ever way you look at it, it can take months if not years to get some things approved.

Unless its Apple, in which case they'll try sue you anyhow :p

Patent laws are very tricky which ever way you look at it, it can take months if not years to get some things approved.

AMD aren't afraid of the courts or Nvidia, they took Intel to court and won, twice i think.

AMD are the sort to just do it and then let Nvidia moan about it.

It wasn't even Nvidia's idea, it was AMD's David Nalasco. if any one of them should be worried about the courts in this, its Nvidia. :)

AMD aren't afraid of the courts or Nvidia, they took Intel to court and won, twice i think.

It wasn't even Nvidia's idea, it was AMD's David Nalasco. if any one of them should be worried about the courts in this, its Nvidia. :)

Where there is blame, there is a claim. Call us now for a free evaluation :D

Unfortunately most employment contracts will state any new tech/patents created are credited to the company not creator, so it may still all have nvidias name all over it and any paperwork protecting it.

My contract says the same thing, though I'm far too lazy to create anything other then a mess :p

Unfortunately most employment contracts will state any new tech/patents created are credited to the company not creator, so it may still all have nvidias name all over it and any paperwork protecting it.

My contract says the same thing, though I'm far too lazy to create anything other then a mess :p

I have searched USPTO for G-Sync and found nothing

As i said Nvidia cannot Patent G-Sync in its result, and the hardware components are made by ARM, Hynix ecte...

AMD can do the same thing configured in a different way, thats if they need to, there is no sign that Nvidia have been awarded a Patent for it at all.

If you don't think that Nvidia wont have covered this tech with as many patents as it can to make sure someone else cannot just copy it, then unfortunately your living in a fantasy land.

These companies know what their doing, they wouldn't have got to the size they are if they kept coming up with ideas and just let everybody else copy them.

If you don't think that Nvidia wont have covered this tech with as many patents as it can to make sure someone else cannot just copy it, then unfortunately your living in a fantasy land.

These companies know what their doing, they wouldn't have got to the size they are if they kept coming up with ideas and just let everybody else copy them.

Since AMD were the first to come up with it the same argument applies, they will have filed for patents left right and centre, which suggests they already have their own way of doing it, a way that Nvidia will have had to insure they didn't infringe upon. (provided AMD were granted patents)

Maybe this is why the unnecessary complicated approach Drunkenmaster was referring to.

Last edited:
If the idea with enough detail was already in the public domain they wont be able to patent. However I'm not sure a sentance or two by David Nalasco is enough.

As i said Nvidia cannot Patent G-Sync in its result, and the hardware components are made by ARM, Hynix ecte...

AMD can do the same thing configured in a different way, thats if they need to, there is no sign that Nvidia have been awarded a Patent for it at all.

Who makes the components used is irrelevant patent wise - if nVidia do have patents they may not have them listed specifically with g-sync but a description of how the underlying mechanism works - they have several related to generic display synchronisation but theres too much data to sift through to see which if any are relevant.

patents are never for brand names, search for apple patents and you won't find a single one called iPhone or ipad or whatever else, patents describe a technology, search for NVidia patents in general and you'll find a load related to monitors / displays / refresh rates etc.
working out which ones directly relate to gsync or not would be is a job for someone with much more free time on their hands than me (and I don't even work anymore)

patents are never for brand names, search for apple patents and you won't find a single one called iPhone or ipad or whatever else, patents describe a technology, search for NVidia patents in general and you'll find a load related to monitors / displays / refresh rates etc.
working out which ones directly relate to gsync or not would be is a job for someone with much more free time on their hands than me (and I don't even work anymore)

i know that, i spent some time looking. the closest thing i was able to find is this, which isn't it.

The bones of the argument is Nvidia cannot stop AMD from coming up with their own G-Sync, to think they can is wishful.
And as i said before. the chances are AMD have already filed a G-Sync method of their own.

Back
Top Bottom