• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Impressive that you've spent 60 hours a week on one game, when do you manage to do your homework?:p

im glad your not in anything mathmatical. the games been out 2 years. i think you should be doing some homework. also if you read what i put then you would have seen i leave the game running for periods of time not being played which is counted. so many nerds on here yet they cant even nerd properly and do basic maths.

Associate
im glad your not in anything mathmatical. the games been out 2 years. i think you should be doing some homework. also if you read what i put then you would have seen i leave the game running for periods of time not being played which is counted. so many nerds on here yet they cant even nerd properly and do basic maths.

Or basic punctuation. :p:D

Soldato
I googled and thought it said last year, still 30 hours a week is a long time for gaming. I replied to your earlier post before reading everything.

Soldato
Think it's worth getting anything above the 8 core for purely gaming?

If you're going to upgrade it again in 1 or 2 years then it's not worth having more than 8 cores because games don't fully use that many cores yet.

However, if you intend to keep it for over 5 years then you'll definitely benefit from more than 8 cores.

So it depends how often you normally upgrade.

Soldato
If you're going to upgrade it again in 1 or 2 years then it's not worth having more than 8 cores because games don't fully use that many cores yet.

However, if you intend to keep it for over 5 years then you'll definitely benefit from more than 8 cores.

So it depends how often you normally upgrade.

I definitely fall into the latter category, and only tend to upgrade when my CPU can no longer keep up (gaming, mainly).

So personally I will be getting a 12 or 16 core AMD chip, whenever the venerable X5650 I'm running gives up the ghost, physically or metaphorically.

Associate
God this waiting is killing me, i have even started looking at a 9900K build instead lol... Wifes told me i need to build the kids a PC sooner rather than later, the plan was to get a Zen2 build for myself, and give the kids my Ryzen 1700 build, id keep my Vega 64 and they can have the 1080FE i have spare to pair with my 1440p 144hz screen as i want to upgrade to a 3440x1440p screen (looking at that new MSI).

But with no solid info on Zen2 coming out anytime soon, im tempted just to say sod it and getting a 9900K, but i just know i will regret it down the line :(

Soldato
God this waiting is killing me, i have even started looking at a 9900K build instead lol... Wifes told me i need to build the kids a PC sooner rather than later, the plan was to get a Zen2 build for myself, and give the kids my Ryzen 1700 build, id keep my Vega 64 and they can have the 1080FE i have spare to pair with my 1440p 144hz screen as i want to upgrade to a 3440x1440p screen (looking at that new MSI).

But with no solid info on Zen2 coming out anytime soon, im tempted just to say sod it and getting a 9900K, but i just know i will regret it down the line :(
You could just get a Threadripper system... From your post I guess you have the budget for it :)

Caporegime

Get a Solid B450 mobo and a Ryzen 2600 as a stop gap. Then plop a 3700x in.

I bought a 9900K and an Asus Hero

Total £756

Bought at Christmas time and sold them last week.

I bought a B450 MSI Pro Carbon and Ryzen 2600 and clocked it to 4.2ghz for my nephews Birthday coming up

In games on a quick test I really don't notice any difference and certainly don't feel I would be missing out over a 9900K costing £500 more, the performance for the extra cost is just not there imo.

Bios is flashed ready for him to get a 3600 if there are decent gains. There will still be some value left in the 2600 so the upgrade cost should be minimal.

I have to say aswell that the Ryzen 2600 offers staggering bang for buck...Its a meaty little chip at 4.2ghz

Last edited:
Soldato

if you can track down Strix B450- E then worth doing, 12 phase (6 doublers) then worth it without paying £220 for flagship x470 boards if you plan on going 12 core + with heavy overclocks

Associate
Get a Solid B450 mobo and a Ryzen 2600 as a stop gap. Then plop a 3700x in.

I bought a 9900K and an Asus Hero

Total £756

Bought at Christmas time and sold them last week.

I bought a B450 MSI Pro Carbon and Ryzen 2600 and clocked it to 4.2ghz for my nephews Birthday coming up

In games on a quick test I really don't notice any difference and certainly don't feel I would be missing out over a 9900K costing £500 more, the performance for the extra cost is just not there imo.

Bios is flashed ready for him to get a 3600 if their are decent gains. There will still be some value left in the 2600 so the upgrade cost should be minimal.

I have to say aswell that the Ryzen 2600 offers staggering bang for buck...Its a meaty little chip at 4.2ghz

Thats not actually a bad idea, i could get a cheap B450 and add the 2600x and put my 1700 into the B450 for the kids and put the 2600x into my CH6, then when the Zen2 stuff comes out, move the 2600x to the kids, sell the 1700 and use whatever i get for it to offset against my Zen2, and depending on motherboards, could probably sell the B450 and 1700 as a pair and get a motherboard for me.

Wonder what the savings would be.

Associate
if you can track down Strix B450- E then worth doing, 12 phase (6 doublers) then worth it without paying £220 for flagship x470 boards if you plan on going 12 core + with heavy overclocks

Isnt the MSI Carbon the best B450? i want something that also has Wifi built in for the kids as they will likely move it around during its lifetime.

Soldato
Isnt the MSI Carbon the best B450? i want something that also has Wifi built in for the kids as they will likely move it around during its lifetime.

no, ITX versions are better along with strix-e- BUT that went stealth... trade easy to get but havent found it in UK retail .

Carbon AC atx worth it if wifi is needed . without shooting myself. MSI x570 should match their z390...

Soldato

The 9900K is an amazing CPU so you won't regret having that level of performance. It comes down to whether you want to pay £479 now, or wait until July and pay £200 for an equivalent from AMD.

Associate
The 9900K is an amazing CPU so you won't regret having that level of performance. It comes down to whether you want to pay £479 now, or wait until July and pay £200 for an equivalent from AMD.

Yeah thats the bitter pill i dont want to swallow, in all honesty the 2600x will be a better chip than the 1700 for my kids anyhow, especially on my CH6, i can flog the 1700 and a B450 and get a bit back to put towards Zen2.

Associate
no, ITX versions are better along with strix-e- BUT that went stealth... trade easy to get but havent found it in UK retail .

Carbon AC atx worth it if wifi is needed . without shooting myself. MSI x570 should match their z390...

I generally dont buy MSI products as i find them inferior, especially motherboards, i havent purchased one in over 10 years, are they actually decent quality now? if i want to buy the best B450 motherboard right now with Wifi to run a 2600X, what is the options?

This is what is likely to happen i'll buy the B450 + 2600x, put the 2600x in my CH6 and put the B450 in my kids PC with my 1700, then when Zen2 lands, i'll swap the CH6 and 2600X into the kids PC and sell the B450 and 1700 to offset costs of Mobo and Zen2 CPU.

Back
Top Bottom