• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/255729/...-diagram-revealed-chipset-puts-out-pcie-gen-4

syRBzDMVv28opTuB.jpg

PCI-e 4.0 not 3.0.
Thats double the bandwidth and PCH now provides 4.0 connection also.

Associate
We shall see because if we can use the NVME extension cards we can hook 4 of them on PCIe slot 2, and have the GPU running at 4.0 8x which is effectively 16x PCIe 3.0
Also the X570 chipset (PCH) provides pcie 4.0 connections
https://www.techpowerup.com/255729/...-diagram-revealed-chipset-puts-out-pcie-gen-4

The Asrock Quad M.2 card might get used extensively now :D

However there are no PCIE 4 cards available yet so, until they exist 16X PCIE4 lanes = 16X PCIE3. Only benefit I can see that chipset will bring right now is the X4 PCIE4 chipset link.

Soldato
^^ lame duck? Explain. With the briefest of glances it looks fine to me for a mainstream-level system.

2 GPUs get the equivalent of PCIe3 x16 each, 1 full speed M.2 drive off the CPU, another one off the PCH, a 3rd one at the expense of SATA by the looks of it, handful of x1 slots for whatever and some left over to wrangle together your USB and WiFi.

It's fine tbh; just disappointed because @Panos got my hopes up for more. I hope this time the boards will be able to handle 2 GPUs as well as an nvme ssd.

Soldato
Won't be long before we see NVMe PCIe 4.0 expansion cards imo. Expect more fans tho

PCIe 4.0 is backwards compatible so running a 3.0 card on a 4.0 connection will only use 8 lanes, basically even though Zen2 keeps the 24 lanes it doubles the bandwidth so effectively you end up with 48 PCIe 3.0 'lanes'.

Soldato
We shall see because if we can use the NVME extension cards we can hook 4 of them on PCIe slot 2, and have the GPU running at 4.0 8x which is effectively 16x PCIe 3.0
Also the X570 chipset (PCH) provides pcie 4.0 connections

The Asrock Quad M.2 card might get used extensively now :D

Hi mate, I like your thinking. One thing though.

The cards we have at the moment only support gen 3. The radeon vii recently notably only supports gen 3, even though it's instinct version supports gen 4.
Does, say a HD 5870 get the same throughput in a x8 gen 3 slot compared to a x16 gen 2 slot? I'd say probably not.

existing boards, 3 and 400 series, I don't think it'll be gen 4 split x8 lanes. It'll be first slot only.

Soldato
the x4 for the m.2 are off the chip set not the CPU.

On that x570 diagram, theres x 4 lanes from the cpu for an m.2 and 4 lanes from the chipset as well that can be used for an m.2.

2 drives in raid 0 gen 3 x4 nvme without reducing the Lanes for GPUs is pretty good going for a mainstream platform.

And there's a x4 gen 4 slot for next gen storage even if the other m.2 slots don't support gen 4 speeds.

Soldato
It's fine tbh; just disappointed because @Panos got my hopes up for more. I hope this time the boards will be able to handle 2 GPUs as well as an nvme ssd.
Well that's what the diagram suggests, doesn't it? 2 GPUs at effectively 16 PCIe 3 lanes each, full speed M.2 off the CPU and a full speed M.2 off the PCH. Then make trade offs between 6x SATA 3 or some SATA 3 and a 3rd M.2.

Soldato
Surely in 5 years most midrange GPUs will be PCIe 4.0? Many people who buy a Ryzen 3000 CPU + motherboard this year will still be using it in 5 years time. So all this talk about PCIe 4.0 is pointless today, doesn't anybody think about tomorrow?

Permabanned
Surely in 5 years most midrange GPUs will be PCIe 4.0? Many people who buy a Ryzen 3000 CPU + motherboard this year will still be using it in 5 years time. So all this talk about PCIe 4.0 is pointless today, doesn't anybody think about tomorrow?

by the time a GPU can fully use gen4 speeds the CPU platform will be dead.
Look on youtube the is many a man testing the TOP gpu's right now at gen3 x16 and x8. there is no difference in performance. so gen4 will mean nothing.

if lets say gen4 is x2 the speed of gen3 then theoretically an RTX-2080ti would run at gen4 x4 speeds with no problem

Soldato
by the time a GPU can fully use gen4 speeds the CPU platform will be dead.
Look on youtube the is many a man testing the TOP gpu's right now at gen3 x16 and x8. there is no difference in performance. so gen4 will mean nothing.

if lets say gen4 is x2 the speed of gen3 then theoretically an RTX-2080ti would run at gen4 x4 speeds with no problem

Also all M.2 drives of today will only need x2, with the potential (tech permitting) of double the performance of M.2 in future.

Soldato
Every single M.2 slot listed in that diagram (all 3)are listed at 32Gbps, which is 4x PCI-E 3.0. Obviously the switches at the PCH to the 4x PCI-E slot which shows it listed at 4.0 specification is a bit misleading, since you can't have more than 4x 4.0 lanes from the PCH as that is all that is wired to it.

So basically we have the same as last time, 20+4 lanes, but with board manufacturers taking advantage of the slots/lanes to effectively make it a 40+8 PCI-E 3.0 setup, still wondering where the rest of the bandwidth from the M.2 connected directly to the CPU is going, unless a BIOS upgrade will enable the 4.0 64Gbps (8000 M/Bs) speed.

Soldato
Will DDR5 be hitting this year or are we ways off yet? There seems to be a lot of people offloading DD4 RAM is that due to speed or are we moving onto faster DD4 sticks?

If I decide to early adopt onto this series don't want to get stung and left with duff gear 6 months down the line.

Back
Top Bottom