• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
If these really are 20% faster again than Zen 2 then that is utter dominance on all fronts.

I know these things are cyclical but this one feels profound in terms of implications for Intel.

For gaming an 8 core 4 series would see you well for years and years. These are going to be extremely popular.

Well 16 would future proof more it will be that war again i think of higher speed 8 core versus slower or much hotter 16 core. The demand will be high as well i am not even sure if January will be when i build i said before i did not expect stock in numbers before January 2021 and i intend to roll AMD this time.

People will be price gouging too no thanks but i gotta admit im pretty happy now i got 280hz, A 2080ti and my 4770k still hangs in there. This will be a fine upgrade as i still have my Crucial M4 256gb in there too which cost nearly £400 here many moons ago. :D

Associate
My plan is to snap up a 8c/16t 4000 series CPU to see me straight, in gaming, for the foreseeable.

With the new consoles being 8c/16t you are going to start seeing games becoming increasingly made to use at least 6c/12t as the consoles will need some overhead for streaming and their OS. We are still a ways off 12/16 core CPU's being necessary for gaming.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Fraud? lol OK. You do know there was over a year between the reporting the leak (of which he wasn't the only one to do) and the product coming out, yeah? You do know that things can change in that time, right? You are aware that Zen 2 was designed to compete with Intel 10nm products, and nobody expected Intel to just totally fall out of their own ass? it is entirely likely that the leaked information was accurate as per AMD's intentions at the time, but within the space of 1 entire year AMD found the yields weren't good enough to hit 5GHz and there was no need to push Zen 2 as hard as they originally planned because Intel offered no competition.

Fraud? Sounds like you're taking leaks far too seriously, maybe you need to dial your expectations back a touch and not take everything you see at face value.

IIRC he actually said that 5ghz stuff literally like a couple of months the actual chips were released.. Either way, these pretend "leakers" dont really know anything, and its silly to take their word for anything.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

My plan is to snap up a 8c/16t 4000 series CPU to see me straight, in gaming, for the foreseeable.

With the new consoles being 8c/16t you are going to start seeing games becoming increasingly made to use at least 6c/12t as the consoles will need some overhead for streaming and their OS. We are still a ways off 12/16 core CPU's being necessary for gaming.

12c is definitely more than whats needed now. Even 8c is more than whats needed atm. But once these consoles are out for a couple of years, 8c will really be the standard.

And no PC builder is going to build a high end PC with just 8c when thats what consoles have, so 12c will become the norm for enthusiasts

Caporegime
12c is definitely more than whats needed now. Even 8c is more than whats needed atm. But once these consoles are out for a couple of years, 8c will really be the standard.

And no PC builder is going to build a high end PC with just 8c when thats what consoles have, so 12c will become the norm for enthusiasts

yeah 12 core wont be needed for many years yet. also in gaming you can actually get worse performance than 6 cores in some games because they not optimized for that many cores. currently 6 cores is the sweet spot . 8 will be next. thats why there is 8 cores in consoles. obviously if you use the extra cores then its a given but for gaming if you looking at building a gaming pc to last its 8 that you want. cant wait for these to drop. :p

Soldato
New info from AdoredTv

Plus 20% Interesting.

I’m not sure TBH. 8c 16t is a lot of CPU grunt but the consoles probably have much less system overhead and don’t suffer from bloat over time like a windows PC or have programs/services running in the back ground.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

yeah 12 core wont be needed for many years yet. also in gaming you can actually get worse performance than 6 cores in some games because they not optimized for that many cores. currently 6 cores is the sweet spot . 8 will be next. thats why there is 8 cores in consoles. obviously if you use the extra cores then its a given but for gaming if you looking at building a gaming pc to last its 8 that you want. cant wait for these to drop. :p

yeah exactly, for now its just not necessary. But once the consoles have been out for a couple years, 8 will become the standard for sure for gaming in general... So for PC you will want to get more than 8. But like its been said already, thats at least a few years away.

Permabanned
Hardly cried, just labelled him as one as his information was mostly wrong.
Huh! I thought it was mostly right. Either way like others have said it’s the rumour mill not always to be taken literally. I wasn’t Jim fault people took it too seriously he does emphasise that these are leaks and can be wrong.

Personally I like Jim I just don’t bet on the outcomes even though I find it interesting.

Soldato
yeah exactly, for now its just not necessary. But once the consoles have been out for a couple years, 8 will become the standard for sure for gaming in general... So for PC you will want to get more than 8. But like its been said already, thats at least a few years away.

If that is the case it brings into question the viability of the PC as gaming platform.

Permabanned
If that is the case it brings into question the viability of the PC as gaming platform.

PC normally carves out a 4x leap over consoles as i was playing at 4k 120hz on PC for a few years and now i run Overwatch at 4k 280hz so the viability will not change and the only reason people say this is we are again near the lifespan beginning of a new console era and the ending of two PC architectures so the gap closes. But Ampere and Zen 3 and Ryzen 4000 and going to be here near the end of 2020 so once again well be pulling away from consoles.

PC is also better plugged into OLED too, Sure the console will cap out at 4k 60hz, Maybe 4k 120hz if very lucky but if you used say VSR or DSR or a resolution slider on PC at 200% you can have 8k on your OLED. VRR works on PC anyways so it is a superior platform.

Soldato

Games are starting to use it.

Death Stranding is very heavily multithreaded and loves them cores, showing performance gains all the way up to 32 threads.

For reference to how a 8c handles it, here are cpu usage stats from a 5ghz 9900k paired with a 2080ti.

9900k:

1080p: All 16 thread pegged to 75% load
1440p: All 16 thread pegged to 60% load
2160p: All 16 thread pegged to 40% load

2080ti:

1080p: GPU at 65% load
1440p: GPU at 80% load
2160p: GPU at 100% load

So yes a 5ghz 8c/16t 9900k is holding back a 2080ti at 1080p and even at 1440p in Decima engine games. Death Stranding uses the CPU to produce dynamic wind and weather simulations among other things.

Last edited:
Soldato
PC normally carves out a 4x leap over consoles as i was playing at 4k 120hz on PC for a few years and now i run Overwatch at 4k 280hz so the viability will not change and the only reason people say this is we are again near the lifespan beginning of a new console era and the ending of two PC architectures so the gap closes. But Ampere and Zen 3 and Ryzen 4000 and going to be here near the end of 2020 so once again well be pulling away from consoles.

PC is also better plugged into OLED too, Sure the console will cap out at 4k 60hz, Maybe 4k 120hz if very lucky but if you used say VSR or DSR or a resolution slider on PC at 200% you can have 8k on your OLED. VRR works on PC anyways so it is a superior platform.

The PC is potentially the superior machine if graphics can leverage the hardware.

Caporegime
Huh! I thought it was mostly right. Either way like others have said it’s the rumour mill not always to be taken literally. I wasn’t Jim fault people took it too seriously he does emphasise that these are leaks and can be wrong.

Personally I like Jim I just don’t bet on the outcomes even though I find it interesting.
It was "mostly right" in the same way as that famous joke, "I played all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order."

Ie, completely wrong :p

And yeah it was only a few weeks before release that he was predicting 12 cores for <£300, at 5GHz.

Soldato
I’m not sure TBH. 8c 16t is a lot of CPU grunt but the consoles probably have much less system overhead and don’t suffer from bloat over time like a windows PC or have programs/services running in the back ground.

Even with Firefox open, doing nothing, the CPU (2600x) idles at around 1%, brefly jumping to 2%, then back to 1%, etc. Windows is not much of a problem anymore on modern hardware.

Associate
Overhead of accessing hardware via layers and layers of abstraction, drivers, buffers and legacy.
And it adds to what you meantion, cpu doing something when you are not doing anything. Computationally those background things are almost nothing, but involve regular context switching, perhaps disk or network access that will affect the main task much more than mentioned 1%.

Permabanned
It was "mostly right" in the same way as that famous joke, "I played all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order."

Ie, completely wrong :p

And yeah it was only a few weeks before release that he was predicting 12 cores for <£300, at 5GHz.
I’m sure I remember seeing the information and it wasn’t that far out. If it was it was luckily I’m smart enough not to bet my house against it.

More importantly I don’t think any of the information he got wrong was him lying or intentionally misleading he was just passing on the information he received. If you take it literally you will possibly end up disappointed so that’s on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom