• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
OP
I'm pretty sure there won't be a new chipset for Zen 3, but I am fairly certain we'll see a refreshed X570. Might not get a new name though. X570 was a dog's dinner of a product; excessive use of PCIe retimers just to maintain signal integrity, the PCH was in-house design based on the Zen 2 IO die and then backported to GloFo 16nm (of all things) because Asmedia couldn't get theirs out in time and still variable in VRM counts and quality. It needs updating, with a couple of upgrades maybe for new tech. Why do I think it'll be refreshed rather than a new chipset?

Zen 3 has improved memory and IF speeds (I think)
B550 was late so is still relatively new
A520 practically just landed
TRX40 boards have massively re-engineered PCIe 4 signalling to not need retimers, so board designers now know how to do it properly
B550 VRMs are monstrous (see engineer knowledge above)
A520 VRMs are surprisingly solid
Asus added USB 3.2 to their refreshed B450 boards

Wrap all of this up and bang out X570X (just to **** off Intel because the 3rd refresh of X299 is X229X :p ), or maybe X590. Even with these improvements, I don't think there's enough of a change to call it a new chipset.

I have a feeling you might be right, perhaps a node drop as well for better thermals/energy efficiency?

Soldato
If the 5800x has better gaming performance than the 5900x do we reckon that AMD will point that out? I mean if it shows in the results then they might explain that, but then it wouldn't make the 12 core chip look as good in that case, unless programs that use 8 cores or less still has the same latency on the 12 core as the 8 core, is that likely or not?

Soldato
If the 5800x has better gaming performance than the 5900x do we reckon that AMD will point that out? I mean if it shows in the results then they might explain that, but then it wouldn't make the 12 core chip look as good in that case, unless programs that use 8 cores or less still has the same latency on the 12 core as the 8 core, is that likely or not?

They'll probably highlight the fact you can run it in Game Mode with one whole CCD disabled, and the other core boosts to much higher clocks as it is better binned to make up the short fall, maybe even 5GHz. ;)

Caporegime
some games dont like more than 8 cores even modern ones and hinder performance. anything over 8 is often more a workhorse than a gaming chip.

smr

smr

Soldato
I'm leaning more towards the MSI Tomahawk X570 after the benchmarks show that it's cooling VRMs are exceptional and third best in class, certainly the best vfm, the only two boards that outperform it by 1 degree celcius are £300 more expensive.

I'm slightly put off by buying another Gigabyte board with the problems I have with my current Giga, but then it is about 10 years old, with my current board I've always had problems with heat though, I had to RMA the board several years ago due to excessive coil whine emitting through my speakers which was really annoying, and the northbridge got really hot, so if the Northbridge rises to anything above 65deg the board really starts crunching and then I get really bad audio crackling on the audio coming out of the speakers. This is in a gigantic Obsidian 800D Tower with superb air flow, and even with the side panel off to help cool it.

Will have to check if the B550 version of the MSI has the same cooling.

Soldato
AMD should now just delay Zen 3 to 2021 and then that will stop all the crying about old AM4 motherboards not being supported till 2020.
I'd like to think anyone happy to swap out a CPU or build a system from scratch is perfectly happy to flash a BIOS - the vast majority of compatible boards, not needing a CPU to do so. Any retailer selling Zen 3 CPUs with boards without a facility to flash the BIOS (without CPU) need to update before shipping - or prepare for returns!

Soldato
I have a feeling you might be right, perhaps a node drop as well for better thermals/energy efficiency?
It'll be whatever ASmedia use for their B550 and A520 chips, assuming an updated X570/90 PCH is still produced by ASmedia. If not, I don't see why AMD wouldn't shrink to GloFo 12nm since they're still making Zen 2 and Zen 3 IO dies. Or maybe an older TSMC node.

Caporegime
Wrap all of this up and bang out X570X (just to **** off Intel because the 3rd refresh of X299 is X229X :p ), or maybe X590. Even with these improvements, I don't think there's enough of a change to call it a new chipset.
That's not how marketing works.

Rule #3231688 of Marketing: the old thing can be new again if you give it a new name.

There's no reason to think there won't be an x670 release, and there's no info either way.

Lisa Su has clearly invested in some superglue and over-sized butt-plugs, because there's no leakage from anyone.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure there won't be a new chipset for Zen 3, but I am fairly certain we'll see a refreshed X570. Might not get a new name though. X570 was a dog's dinner of a product; excessive use of PCIe retimers just to maintain signal integrity, the PCH was in-house design based on the Zen 2 IO die and then backported to GloFo 16nm (of all things) because Asmedia couldn't get theirs out in time and still variable in VRM counts and quality. It needs updating, with a couple of upgrades maybe for new tech. Why do I think it'll be refreshed rather than a new chipset?

Zen 3 has improved memory and IF speeds (I think)
B550 was late so is still relatively new
A520 practically just landed
TRX40 boards have massively re-engineered PCIe 4 signalling to not need retimers, so board designers now know how to do it properly
B550 VRMs are monstrous (see engineer knowledge above)
A520 VRMs are surprisingly solid
Asus added USB 3.2 to their refreshed B450 boards

AMD is the king of doing small (or even no) changes to a product and call it something totally new, at least in their GPU business.

Soldato
That's not how marketing works.

Rule #3231688 of Marketing: the old thing can be new again if you give it a new name.

There's no reason to think there won't be an x670 release, and there's no info either way.

Lisa Su has clearly invested in some superglue and over-sized butt-plugs, because there's no leakage from anyone.
True, but if AMD are taking measures to bring the CPU naming scheme more in line, you'd think they wouldn't screw up that effort by having motherboards out of whack with a 600 series chipset for 1 line of boards. Emphasis on "you'd think" :p

AMD is the king of doing small (or even no) changes to a product and call it something totally new, at least in their GPU business.
Note that I suggested no new chipset, not no new motherboards.

It's a given there will be new motherboards out for Zen 3, hell Asus have refreshed some B450s with bigger BIOSes and USB 3.2, but in the absence of info one way or another about X670, I'm suggesting no in favour of X570X or X590, i.e. a refresh of "existing", not something "new".

Soldato
are chipset fans really an issue now yes I rather not have them, I remember years ago they just spin regardless of temp or stress and failed, dont they now only spin at controlled RPM and only when system has load ?

Soldato
Yeah chipset fans are a big no-no.

/triggering intensifies

Amateur effort.

Depends if you want to pair it with a mid range 350 watt space heater graphics card that’s built on a subpar node and off shoddy design, that at some point might require access to a super fast memory and IO systems and till can’t use FreeSync.

Man of Honour
are chipset fans really an issue now yes I rather not have them, I remember years ago they just spin regardless of temp or stress and failed, dont they now only spin at controlled RPM and only when system has load ?
I hate mine on my Threadripper build, my whole PC is watercooled and very quiet and when the chipset fan spins up it's rather intrusive.

Soldato
I hate mine on my Threadripper build, my whole PC is watercooled and very quiet and when the chipset fan spins up it's rather intrusive.

Then it’s not wholly water cooled.

Buy an RTX 3000. You’ll never hear the chipset again. You’ll also never see the PCI-E slots again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom