• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
DDR5 pricing is looking good for Q3, increasing supply along with weak demand in the PC market space(s) is meaning that the predicted 5-8% QoQ decrease could see as much as a 12% decrease in Q2-Q3. This look to be holding somewhat true in the street pricing of DDR5 modules, with prices dropping to a new low over the month of April and the trend continuing into May. Forecasting for DDR4 is showing a decrease in stock piling, with an increased focus on raising margins as manufacturers finally move away from DDR3 for devices like routers, and embedded applications.

Prices for DDR5 are predicted to be only 30% higher than DDR4 by the start of Q4, which for the consumer means that the 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR5 5200 at £180 will only be £140 or less, and the faster RAM speeds being priced more in line with a premium DDR4 kit so a 2x16GB DDR4-4000 kit which is £180 now, the DDR5 6000+ equivalent will be ~£235.

Looking good for Zen4 release. :)

Replying to myself, seems that the market predictions are starting to show in retail channels as well now, 32GB DDR5 starting from circa £150, so £50 more than an entry level DDR4 32GB kit. Trending downwards very quickly it seems, and with the higher speeds coming, the 6000MHz+ parts will also become way more affordable by the time Zen4 is due in the shops.

Caporegime
FFS...

AM5 will have 24 usable PCIe Lanes, 28 total, guy in the top left "oh isn't that just marketing, why is it so over engineered? Intel only have 16, so you only need 16" Good Grief he even looks angry after making this idiotic statement.

First of all, whatever your name is, i don't care, Intel splits those PCIe lanes between the GPU and NVMe, so if you have a GPU and an NVMe you only get X8 for the GPU, with AM5 if you run an NVMe and GPU you get the full X16 for the GPU.

AM5 is NOT over-engineered, Intel is under-engineered.
------------

Anywho, with the Intel apologist dealt with. Frank talks about AM5 longevity, making references to the longevity commitment on AM4 and wanting AM5 to have a similar commitment.

Soldato
I hope this whole sandbagging lark is not the new Zen 2 is totally going to be 5ghz guys.
Wouldn't have made much/any difference even if it was AFAIK, wasn't it Igor's lab, or whoever, tested what higher clocks would have done and it was next to nothing? Something about limitations of the chip/architecture.

Anyway it looks so far like Zen 4 isn't going to live up to the hype rubbish MLID posted.

Don
Anyway it looks so far like Zen 4 isn't going to live up to the hype rubbish MLID posted.
I'm not sure it ever would live up to the hype. It's the first product on a new socket and moving to new memory. It was never going to be completely revolutionary - a small bump in performance whilst moving to a new platform is normally all that's expected.
It's at best a "tick", but more like a "refine"-ment rather than an actual "tock"

Soldato
Replying to myself, seems that the market predictions are starting to show in retail channels as well now, 32GB DDR5 starting from circa £150, so £50 more than an entry level DDR4 32GB kit. Trending downwards very quickly it seems, and with the higher speeds coming, the 6000MHz+ parts will also become way more affordable by the time Zen4 is due in the shops.

Replying to myself again, just as an update to the continuing slide in prices for DDR5 as Zen4 approaches (even with a sliding dollar). DDR5-5600 is now at ~£150 for 32GB and you can pick up 6000MT/s C40 32GB for ~£180. The 5600 will easily do 6600-7000MT/s C36 and below, so looks like the DDR4/DDR5 will be almost a zero argument by the time the parts are launched.

Associate
The 5600 will easily do 6600-7000MT/s C36
well, "easily"... more like potentially
1. If you have a good motherboard
and
2. if its Hynix chips (the Bdie of DDR5)
Samsung chips top out around 6000-6200
(Micron doesn't even come close to 5600)

But you're right that DDR5 prices have come down to reasonable levels. DDR5 is now at least equal DDR4 in price/performance. And has the performance crown in games at high end.

Soldato
Do you reckon it's safe to assume that Zen 4 will be able to run DDR5 RAM at 5200mhz, with the infinity fabric operating at 1:1?

Apparently, AMD confirmed that a synced 1:1 infinity fabric is possible here:

I suspect that any DDR5 frequencies above this will be counted as overclocking, and the infinity fabric will be decoupled.

Associate
Do you reckon it's safe to assume that Zen 4 will be able to run DDR5 RAM at 5200mhz, with the infinity fabric operating at 1:1?

Apparently, AMD confirmed that a synced 1:1 infinity fabric is possible here:

I suspect that any DDR5 frequencies above this will be counted as overclocking, and the infinity fabric will be decoupled.
The IO die (chiplet) is brand new on 6nm down from 12nm. AMD haven't given very much away on that, but with the struggles Intel are having with 4 dimms who knows.

Associate
The IO die (chiplet) is brand new on 6nm down from 12nm. AMD haven't given very much away on that, but with the struggles Intel are having with 4 dimms who knows.

They don't have issues with 4 DIMMS - Run the cpu/memory at spec and it works. Anything beyond that isn't guaranteed. Same goes for my R7 1700 which is only supported up to 2666 for 2 dimms and 2133 for 4 dimms. Anything above that is overclocking. Alder lake only supports up to DDR5-4800 on 2 dimms, 4400 on 4 dimms.

Associate
They don't have issues with 4 DIMMS - Run the cpu/memory at spec and it works. Anything beyond that isn't guaranteed. Same goes for my R7 1700 which is only supported up to 2666 for 2 dimms and 2133 for 4 dimms. Anything above that is overclocking. Alder lake only supports up to DDR5-4800 on 2 dimms, 4400 on 4 dimms.
25 years in I'm quite aware.

Man of Honour

That's kind of like, "I can run fine, but only with one shoe and when it is raining", just sayin' :D

Soldato
I fully expect Zen 4 to launch at cheaper prices than zen 3 did, probably similar prices to Zen 2 as AMD knows if it can get enough people invested to the AM5 platform then when the big price hikes come in later on then people will pay them as they can be justified by not having to replace the boards.

Associate
Well here is some valid news - amd have listed 4 processors so far in their 7xxx range in their library.

• Ryzen 9 7950X
  • Ryzen 9 7900X
  • Ryzen 7 7700X
  • Ryzen 5 7600X

Soldato
The iGPU is pretty weak apparently, not intended for gaming. Good enough to decode videos and use windows. So, the power consumption will be quite low.

Back
Top Bottom