• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
The only issue I did have was installing Windows 11, it tries to contact the internet, but it seems it didn't have the right driver to enable the NIC at that point. It seems to be quite a common issue on the web. Had to enter some Dos-foo to get past it.. Then when I got into Windows 11, it had a popup saying "This motherboard has a pre-loaded LAN driver, do you want to install it?" Would've been useful if it did that during the install. :rolleyes:
I had to do the same, in my case it had installed the driver, but it had a yellow icon on it in device manager. I installed the new driver from a USB drive and that sorted it.

Associate
That’s a nice upgrade. How is the onboard NIC? I have the Asus B650E-E mobo and the NIC was fine for a few months, then after a BIOS update it started having issues. I now use a USB 1Gb NIC but have to disable the onboard NIC in the BIOS or the USB one has the same issues. Also seen forum post from people using WIFI with the same issue.

I've got a B650E-E and never had a problem with the onboard Intel LAN. BIOS update shouldn't have any effect on it. Sounds more like a Windows driver issue.
The WiFi dropping issue is unrelated that's a Mediatek driver problem.

Soldato
I've got a B650E-E and never had a problem with the onboard Intel LAN. BIOS update shouldn't have any effect on it. Sounds more like a Windows driver issue.
The WiFi dropping issue is unrelated that's a Mediatek driver problem.
It’s a known issue with ASUS + Intel Nic’s across several CPU generation for both AMD and Intel platforms and OS’s (Windows and Linux). They work fine until they don’t. I just mention the WIFI issues as I must disable the Intel NIC or I get dropouts from ALL network devices, WIFI, USB NIC all of them. If anyone else has the same issue they don’t have to spend a lot of time stressing, just disable the Intel NIC in the BIOS. I don’t much care what the problem is, BIOS, hardware, driver, I just want it fixed. It’s a problem they have known about for a very long time.

Soldato
Anyone willing to offer a sanity check on a potential upgrade?

I'm looking for an upgrade for my venerable 3900x as video encoding / transcoding is taking far too long compared to what I can get with modern CPUs. There will as be a bit of gaming thrown in on the side, normally doing both encoding and gaming at the same time. Is is a good idea to go for the 7950x and pair it with a B650 Tomahawk or should i go for a better motherboard at the expense of the CPU and get the 7900(x) and a ROG Strix B650E-E.

Also is the G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz CL30 32GB RAM kit still the pick of the bunch to get? Does anyone have this memory paired with a big twin tower CPU cooler? As intend to keep using my big orange Phanteks TC14PE.

Soldato

I'm looking for an upgrade for my venerable 3900x as video encoding / transcoding is taking far too long compared to what I can get with modern CPUs. There will as be a bit of gaming thrown in on the side, normally doing both encoding and gaming at the same time. Is is a good idea to go for the 7950x and pair it with a B650 Tomahawk or should i go for a better motherboard at the expense of the CPU and get the 7900(x) and a ROG Strix B650E-E.

Also is the G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz CL30 32GB RAM kit still the pick of the bunch to get? Does anyone have this memory paired with a big twin tower CPU cooler? As intend to keep using my big orange Phanteks TC14PE.
HUB did a big review on all B650 boards on YT. May be worth a look.

Soldato
HUB did a big review on all B650 boards on YT. May be worth a look.

My biggest issues in choosing boards is that need a board that has an optical output for my speaker & headphones. The Tomahawk is a solid board, it just lack PCIE 5. The Asus Board is also good but more expensive, and has that Intel LAN chip. The questions is is it worth going for a less capable motherboard to get a better CPU?

Last edited:
Associate
My biggest issues in choosing boards is that need a board that has an optical output for my speaker & headphones. The Tomahawk is a solid board, it just lack PCIE 5. The Asus Board is also good but more expensive, and has that Intel LAN chip. The questions is is it worth going for a less capable motherboard to get a better CPU?
spreadsheet of all AM5 motherboards may be useful for you

As long as motherboard features are enough for you, no reason to go more expensive.
Also, onboard sound was a major factor when I was choosing MB. Only to go with proper external sound card a month later.

Soldato

I would spend less on RAM, 5200/5600 will probably give almost the same performance. Could use the saving to get 48GB(2*24GB).

Back
Top Bottom