• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

There doesn't seem to be much relationship between the framerate and the number of cores.

Other factors like the L3 cache amount, IPC, clock rate and frequency of the RAM seem to count for more.

If those E-Cores on the 12900K were disabled, I doubt it would make a big difference.
Check this out, with the hwunboxed settings (RT6 + high quality) + DLSS on a 3090. 88% CPU usage on a 12900k with HT OFF, busiest area of the game. Now imagine what the usage would look like on a 6core zen 4

Last edited:
Check this out, with the hwunboxed settings (RT6 + high quality) + DLSS on a 3090. 88% CPU usage on a 12900k with HT OFF, busiest area of the game. Now imagine what the usage would look like on a 6core zen 4

But hwunboxed already shown what the 5600x gets the mins look fine to me ? From what you saying it should be really bad I don't see it in the benchmarks he posted and it's at 1080p

But hwunboxed already shown what the 5600x gets the mins look fine to me ? From what you saying it should be really bad I don't see it in the benchmarks he posted and it's at 1080p
Well what do you expect, the game not to launch with 6 cores? You said games don't scale past 6 cores and im telling you they are. Scaling means getting higher fps with more cores. Well in spiderman and cyberpunk for example, you do, assuming you are not memory bottlenecked like zen 3 is.

Well what do you expect, the game not to launch with 6 cores? You said games don't scale past 6 cores and im telling you they are. Scaling means getting higher fps with more cores. Well in spiderman and cyberpunk for example, you do, assuming you are not memory bottlenecked like zen 3 is.

No doubt he'll do another with zen4 will be interesting to see I wouldn't personally buy 6 core chip in 2022

No doubt he'll do another with zen4 will be interesting to see I wouldn't personally buy 6 core chip in 2022
Looking forward to the reviews and I’m not even looking to buy.

Initial thoughts are £300 for a 6 core CPU in 2022 is at least £50 over priced. The pound currently sucks so :(

Saying that the 12600k was available for £248 so maybe some early worm bargains on 7000 series.

Yup 6 vs 8 core debate, I only think it's worth it when the game needs the extra core. My 4 core i5 was fine until Hitman came out, that game ran horribly as some cores were reaching 99% usage. Are there any current games that happens on an Intel or AMD 6 core CPU?

Ubisoft games like assassins creed (like odyssey) and watchdogs: legion hammer cpus. enabling HT helps with WD: legions.

Last edited:
Marginal scaling is irrelevant, real scaling would look like the 2c/4t to 4c/4t result. Spider-Man in particular is not a representative game anyway but still scales poorly with cores, just like 99.9% of games past (or even at) 8c. The only real performance gains are due to cache & freq bumps for the higher core models (i.e. 12900K vs 12100F)

Marvels-Spider-Man-Remastered-CPU-benchmarks.png

Which reinforces what TechSpot (HUB) found..

Throwing more cores at the problem isn't the solution, which is a bit surprising given the game will spread the load quite well across even 12 cores, but like most games it does appear to be primary thread dependent.

That means individual core performance is key and it's why the 12900K is so fast relative to the 5950X, for example. It's also why the 5950X, 5900X, 5800X and 5600X are all very similar, while the difference in performance between the 12th-gen Core processors can be largely attributed to L3 Cache capacity.

Looking at CPU utilization alone, we had expected the Core i3-12100 to crumble, but that wasn't the case and in fact it comfortably beat the 10-core Core i9-10900K, suggesting that IPC is king here rather than core count, within reason of course.

Seems like 6ghz all core is possible on the 7950X, but only with extremely high end cooling. Wonder if it's possible with water cooling?

Last edited:
Marginal scaling is irrelevant, real scaling would look like the 2c/4t to 4c/4t result. Spider-Man in particular is not a representative game anyway but still scales poorly with cores, just like 99.9% of games past (or even at) 8c. The only real performance gains are due to cache & freq bumps for the higher core models (i.e. 12900K vs 12100F)

Marvels-Spider-Man-Remastered-CPU-benchmarks.png

Which reinforces what TechSpot (HUB) found..
Then they don't know how to test. You are telling if I disable the Ecores and 2 pccores ill still be getting the same fps? I can try it, but im pretty sure i wont

Back
Top Bottom