• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
So, we know now that Zen 4 will launch by the end of September, but do we know yet if the B650 or B650E chipset motherboards will launch at the same time, or several months later?

There's not much chance that I'll build a new system if all the motherboards cost £150 or more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Regarding the possible 7600X 'leak', do you reckon AMD might've managed to be slightly ahead of the 12900K in single core speed, just by running the infinity fabric and IMC at 1:1 with the DDR5 (running at 2400 x2 = 4800mhz)?

They might also be running the cache at the same frequency /ratio as the CPU core frequencies (so, perhaps 4.9-5.0ghz). I'm not sure how the cache works on Zen CPUs, is the cache frequency generally the same as the main core frequencies? Or, is this generally set (or limited) by the chipset/motherboard?

Soldato
Regarding the possible 7600X 'leak', do you reckon AMD might've managed to be slightly ahead of the 12900K in single core speed, just by running the infinity fabric and IMC at 1:1 with the DDR5 (running at 2400 x2 = 4800mhz)?

They might also be running the cache at the same frequency /ratio as the CPU core frequencies (so, perhaps 4.9-5.0ghz). I'm not sure how the cache works on Zen CPUs, is the cache frequency generally the same as the main core frequencies? Or, is this generally set (or limited) by the chipset/motherboard?
No. First of all the IMC running 1:1 doesn't mean 4800mhz, since the ram doesn't run at 4800mhz. 4800 is the MT (mega transfers), the actual clocks are 2400mhz and that would be the speed of the IMC if it ran 1:1. And also no, don't think it's possible to have an IMC by default running at 2400mhz. Remember, if those would be the default speeds then the worst zen 4 silicon should be able to run that. I think that's far fetched.

Until further information comes along on what amd was testing , everything is just speculation. AMD might have ran at 7ghz for all we know just to troll userbenchmark. I think next month zen 4 will be launched, so we will know for sure. Thank god Intel is competitive - that will force amd to release the cheaper SKUs on launch as well

Associate
Intel is competitive - that will force amd to release the cheaper SKUs on launch as well

Not really. AMD can just discount Zen 3 on the budget side.

Also Lisa Su said on the earnings call they are avoiding the budget market and going for more premium markets. I expect they might have some budget offerings in the future if supply exceeds demand but right now AMD across the business are still supply constrained and I expect that to be true with Zen 4 early on so AMD have zero reason to sell budget Zen 4 parts to begin with when they can shove them in Genoa server chips or higher end desktop chips instead.

Soldato
The L3 Cache certainly runs at the same speed as the core frequency on Zen3.
As you can see from the pics below, single core CBr23 is running @ 4.9Ghz with L3 running the same. The multi core pic is running @ 4.387Ghz with both L3 running the same.

yRDr0g6.jpg

KmwDsxA.jpg

Soldato
Hi, according to the entry here:

The DDR5 RAM is running at a total of 4800mhz. So, are you saying the RAM frequency was probably recorded incorrectly?

Why you think it's not possible for the IMC to run at 2400mhz? Surely, they can improve it with each new generation?
4800 isn't the actual mhz. That's why it's called double data rate. The actual mhz of a 4800 kit is 2400mhz.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
There have been hints and rumors that 1:1 speed will increase significantly with Zen4, but nothing concrete.

Monolithic Zen3 parts are already pretty easy to get the IF up to 2200MHz and beyond, I'd hope with the new 6nm I/O chip that frequencies beyond that are almost a given, as even the Zen 3 I/O could do 3800+ on terribad 12nm parts. 1:1 IF with DDR5 at 5600MT/s would be a real achievement for the first generation of DDR5 supporting parts, but best not get hopes up too high. Not that I'll be personally using/buying one anyhow, as I have no real need for faster CPU's to watch YouTube, or play basic games with.

Soldato
Soldato
nice not long to wait looking forward to seeing how it performs and pricing good they aint holding back the reviews before launching

Caporegime
Hi, according to the entry here:

The DDR5 RAM is running at a total of 4800mhz. So, are you saying the RAM frequency was probably recorded incorrectly?

Why you think it's not possible for the IMC to run at 2400mhz? Surely, they can improve it with each new generation?

My IMC is running at 1900Mhz, that's 3800MT/s for my cheap 32GB £90 3200MT/s kit.

But Zen 3 can't do that, it can only do 1800Mhz, yet wierdly i have seen them as high as 2200Mhz, that's 4400MT/s, so no way will Zen 4 do 2400Mhz......

GsO5X1G.png

Soldato
September contract pricing for DDR5 is looking very good for AM5 launch, a predicted further 3.9% drop over the August figures, which will put a 32GB 4800MT/s kit at around ~£131 (inc. VAT), and faster kits also dropping significantly.

Back
Top Bottom