An 8mb and a 16mb Raptor in RAID 0?

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Hi guys.

I RMA'ed one of my 8mb 37gb Raptors last week and received confirmation of dispatch of the replacement yesterday. Pretty quick and no proof of purchase needed either, so happy days.

Now the model number of the replacement is that of the 16mb version. Will it be ok to RAID it with the older 8mb Raptor?

Soldato
AFAIK you can RAID different drives but the performance will be limited to the capabilities of the slowest drive. So you probably won't see an improvement over your previous 2x8mb raptor setup.

Soldato
Mr-White said:
you can RAID totally different make, model, size, speed drives, you'll just loose performance and the size difference between the drives.

MW

does this work with NVraid on my nForce4 motherboard?

I know in linux I can set up raid with any 2 partitions that are the same size (even on the same disk if I was stupid), but does it work for the onboard Raid controller types?

Man of Honour
Yeah, it'll work but as stated above on an NVidia controller you lose bits of disk if they're different sizes, the newer Intel Matrix RAID controllers can use all of each disk

eg RAID0, 74Gb+150Gb=148Gb space, the extra 76Gb on the 150Gb is lost on an NVidia controller, with Matrix RAID it can be made available as another array.

Back
Top Bottom