An apology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I didn't find it funny, but I will concede that it was well executed and no doubt raised a smile on a few people's faces. We all have different tastes and opinions on matters - which is what makes this forum the place it is.

I for one am glad that it WAS an April Fool's so that we DIDN'T have a member banned (Marcus chose to leave). I did feel that there were a few offensive posts made in the thread though, but I will be reluctant to RTM from now on.

Soldato
Well seeing as you said exactly what I pretty much feel about this whole thing, I had to agree :)

Only other thing I would add is that the inclusion of the Dons/Admins in this joke (was there a thread in the DR about this just out of interest?) could undermine their authority in future, you are in privileged positions, so be careful not to create a 'We're better than the average forum user' atmosphere.

Ive seen it on other forums where this has happened, and it basically led to a loss of respect for the admin/donny people.

Just bear in mind the implications on a community when a group of people get together to have a laugh at the expense of 'the masses'.

Just my 2p :)

As Uncle Ben says, "with great power comes great responsibility" :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Aydon
I for one am glad that it WAS an April Fool's so that we DIDN'T have a member banned (Marcus chose to leave). I did feel that there were a few offensive posts made in the thread though, but I will be reluctant to RTM from now on.
I think the "offensive" posts in that thread were actually light hearted, posted people who realised what was going on and though they would stir up the joke a little more

I certainly hope so. As for the Marcus situation, Im disappointed someone felt the need to have their account closed over it, I sometimes dont agree with the general point of view but thats being individual. I dont think anyone was directly insulting to him.

Man of Honour
I didn't find it particularly funny either. As I see it, the problem is that I think most people think someone getting banned is quite a serious matter on the forums, so trying to make a joke out of it doesn't go down too well.

My 2p (from someone with a malfunctioning sense of humour).

Associate
I think one of the main things that made me unsure was actually the fact that it happened after 12pm. Although as far as the Dons/UB's were concerned it was started before 12 as far as the rest of us are concerned the first thing we heard about it was after 12 ;)

One point though. April fools jokes have to be played on someone. In this case it was the Dons/UB's playing a joke on the rest of us mortals. Personally if it is funny or not really depends on your viewpoint. If you were playing the joker (Dons/UB's) then i can imagine it must have been quite ammusing. However you can't always expect those who the joke was played on to find it funny.

Having said all that people still need to calm down, it was after all only intended as an april fool, regardless of how bad it was ;) i for one will actually miss Marcus as i thought he was a very good poster.

Soldato
Originally posted by mikester
i had my doubts about it...

but i must say, good job. it really was beleiveable for awhile. the effort also helped seal the deal. ;)

exactly what i thought :)

well thought out huh :p

Soldato
I didnt think it was all that funny, but still a good plan, my hat is off to you!

As for other peoples reactions, they are a bit over the top IMO. And i cant believe that trust will be lost over it, I think it will increase for me, it shows there can be jokes and its not all ultra serious, and look what day it was, april fools! Any other day and maybe it would have been weird but not then.

L

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by PAC2003
I'm sorry to bring the post up top again.....it was a good laugh yesterday

but

What is this 6200+ business about?

Thanks

:o

My old prenuke postcount. with so many people upset that their postcount was gettign the chop, I thought I would jump on the bandwagon:D

Soldato
Originally posted by Tru
I've found some toys on the ground over here, who's pram did they come from?

/edit: not meaning you memphisto :)

You don't know the full story, good sir. In defence of Marcus, who is now unable to reply, it isn't this single post that has caused him to terminate his account. It's culminated over a period of time with what he considers to be GD pettiness, arguments and dissaproval, amongst other things. He enjoys a good debate and feels that OcUK is not for him. Our loss, I feel, and lots of people would agree, and I can promise you he isn't throwing toys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom