• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

An Excellent Video Guide on How to Configure PBO/Curve Optimizer

Caporegime
This is an excellent video, props to the creator. This is a must watch for anyone struggling to get stability with Curve Optimizer.

The best part about it is the information relating to diagnosing which CPU core is failing with your negative voltage. This can be used at Idle or under load when facing stability issues.

Soldato
This is an excellent video, props to the creator. This is a must watch for anyone struggling to get stability with Curve Optimizer.

The best part about it is the information relating to diagnosing which CPU core is failing with your negative voltage. This can be used at Idle or under load when facing stability issues.

Nice one Matt! :cool:

Soldato
Curve optimizer only works if you get a good cpu, if you lose the lottery your system will just crash when you try CO

Associate

Thanks for posting this. I've been wary about trying any kind of BIOS adjustments on my 5800X as I've only just switched to Ryzen recently (from an I7 6700K). Now that I know what to look out for whilst testing I can start to play around and see what I can achieve. Think I'll have some fun this weekend for sure =)

Soldato
Same here

latest bios and chipset driver even negative 5 in curve optimizer = constant crashes on 5950x

Some of us have a cpu that's just barely stable when it's stock, there is no room for these tweaks

Soldato
Same here

latest bios and chipset driver even negative 5 in curve optimizer = constant crashes on 5950x

Some of us have a cpu that's just barely stable when it's stock, there is no room for these tweaks
isn't that the case of using Ryzen Clock tuner to see what you can get with manual OC and dial those boost down etc?

Caporegime
OP
Same here

It is true in my case. I cannot get anything to work for mine tbh. Just bad sample as it runs in spec but doesn't do anything else.
You probably have one core out of 16 that does not like a negative offset.

Soldato
You probably have one core out of 16 that does not like a negative offset.

That all well and find but I have tried turning off one of the CCX in game mode and running it and have manually tweaked through Ryzen master to turn off all cores apart from the "best" etc as well and it still doesn't like it. negative 5 and instant crash, boot loops and pain there after. Also on a 5950x so I do think they have less overhead and some issues in terms of quality. From the other thread of testing how good it does appear I have one decent CCX set and the other is completely duff and just about scraps by with the box rated numbers to work. Again not critical for what I do but no headroom to get anywhere with it all unfortunately.

Caporegime
OP
That all well and find but I have tried turning off one of the CCX in game mode and running it and have manually tweaked through Ryzen master to turn off all cores apart from the "best" etc as well and it still doesn't like it. negative 5 and instant crash, boot loops and pain there after. Also on a 5950x so I do think they have less overhead and some issues in terms of quality. From the other thread of testing how good it does appear I have one decent CCX set and the other is completely duff and just about scraps by with the box rated numbers to work. Again not critical for what I do but no headroom to get anywhere with it all unfortunately.
What is the maximum negative offset of each individual core before instability occurs using the Motherboard BIOS? If you're properly tuned you should know each cores negative offset value before instability occurs. If you don't, you haven't done it properly.

All core offsets are far from ideal as one or two bad ones can affect things so you have to tune them one at a time.

I can list out each core for my sample and the maximum negative offset it can accept before it produces a WHEA error and a system restart.

I spent time testing each core one at a time, mainly involved leaving the PC on overnight and general day light usage like web browsing. I'd also run a 1/2 hour or so of Prime/OCCT per core to ensure stability under load. Generally though, I had my problems with idle and light load, not heavy load. After 2 days of stability in Idle/light load, on to the next core.

The method in this madness is that if you get any instability, it can only point to one core. Once you get that one stable, whether it is at a negative offset of 0, 5, 10 etc, you move onto the next.

Now I have my 5950X tuned efficiently, and it beats out all other 5950X on OcuK in ST and MT workloads. Here's the kicker, my best core will only accept a -5 negative offset. -6 causes a random reboot of the system, yet this particular core scores 1715 on CBR23.

Last edited:
Soldato
What is the maximum negative offset of each individual core before instability occurs using the Motherboard BIOS? If you're properly tuned you should know each cores negative offset value before instability occurs. If you don't, you haven't done it properly.

All core offsets are far from ideal as one or two bad ones can affect things so you have to tune them one at a time.

I can list out each core for my sample and the maximum negative offset it can accept before it produces a WHEA error and a system restart.

I spent time testing each core one at a time, mainly involved leaving the PC on overnight and general day light usage like web browsing. I'd also run a 1/2 hour or so of Prime/OCCT per core to ensure stability under load. Generally though, I had my problems with idle and light load, not heavy load. After 2 days of stability in Idle/light load, on to the next core.

The method in this madness is that if you get any instability, it can only point to one core. Once you get that one stable, whether it is at a negative offset of 0, 5, 10 etc, you move onto the next.

Now I have my 5950X tuned efficiently, and it beats out all other 5950X on OcuK in ST and MT workloads. Here's the kicker, my best core will only accept a -5 negative offset. -6 causes a random reboot of the system, yet this particular core scores 1715 on CBR23.

Been over this. I haven't been able to get a single core of -5 to any core at all. Any time I have tried I get BSOD. I don't know if you can do -3 or -4 or anything as never tried but I am not going to start hassling about with those sorts of numbers because it is not worth the time for me.

Back
Top Bottom