• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AnandTech GPU Bench

Man of Honour
300W PSU. ;)

Also the HD5850 is supposed to be a good clocker (not tested mine, as i'm running at about my PSU limits).

They clock quite well as far as raw MHz goes (around 33% increase in core speed) but actual percentage performance gained isn't as good.

Soldato
Thats an immense rig for that power.

What PSU are you using as it needs to be pretty good if its near its peak all the time?

It's the Sugo SG05 stock PSU.

To be honest, i've got a 450W PSU that fits the case in the box behind me. I've never gotten around to fitting it as everything seems to work fine on 300W, and I don't want to mess up the cable tidying that took me hours to do.

But from what i've read, it'll happily run at 80-90% capacity forever. Fantastic little PSU.

I did think a few days ago about dabbling with a GTX465 or 470 before SI arrives. But at the end of the day, I don't think i'd be able to match the combination of noise/heat/performance I have at the moment. Obviously for a lot of people it's not a problem, but when the rig is literally centimeters from my fingers as I type on the desk, it IS a problem for me.

Soldato
OP
They clock quite well as far as raw MHz goes (around 33% increase in core speed) but actual percentage performance gained isn't as good.

Source on this one please. Your statement would be deleted from any Wiki unless proved by the source. It's no so obvious to me that 58** overclock with worse real world results than any Fermi card. Same goes for a widely exaggerated myth about minimum framerates (it may be true for Crossfire vs SLI though, dunno about that).

Lol @Tute being too lazy to manage cables :p

Last edited:
Associate
Its probably a branded PSU thats the difference.

Some no branded ones are very poor at pushing anything even close to their advertised spec. Also they tend to put more amps on the 3.3V rail as used by older computers instead of the 12V which modern graphics cards use.

Soldato
Its probably a branded PSU thats the difference.

Some no branded ones are very poor at pushing anything even close to their advertised spec. Also they tend to put more amps on the 3.3V rail as used by older computers instead of the 12V which modern graphics cards use.

Q-Tec for example? :D

Even more LOL when compared to the GTX460.

Soldato
OP
I'm sure the gap was bigger at release - has the HD4870 seen better driver improvements?

No but it's only a few games that are being compared really. Radeon 5830 is more likely in the middle of performance between 4870/5770 and 4890. Then there's quite a gap till 5850.

Soldato
I thought the 5770 was meant to be the newer, cooler, less power hungry HD4870 with Dx11. Then the 5830 was the same for the HD4890.

Obviously if you close that gap, then one of the cards becomes utterly useless.

Permabanned
The 5830 ended up not really having a proper place to sit in with its odd performance and poor price. ATi are a bit guilty of market flooding at the moment I think.

Soldato
The 5800 series definitely has an efficiency issue as performance increase over the 4800 series simply does not match the higher specs. A good example is the performance difference between the 4890 and 5870. I'd expect something near double the performance, but in reality it's nowhere near that.

I've got a feeling that the R600 architecture is slowly maxing out.

Back
Top Bottom