And Lewis Hamilton wins his 6th championship!

Soldato
Hamilton has said in interview that he wants to be the pioneer of the new F1 in 2021. So I think he will be around for a while. I personally think he has set a WDC target and will quit when he reaches it or he stops driving with the same enthusiasm and love as an 8 yr old on track.

There doesent look like anything on track can stop merc in this era. Lets see what 2021 brings.

Man of Honour
The stat that impresses me most is that he has won at least one race in every season he has participated in and he has not always been in the best car.

Soldato
The stat that impresses me most is that he has won at least one race in every season he has participated in and he has not always been in the best car.

I think it's the sheer number of podiums he has had on top of this that show that when he hasn't had the best car he just delivers the consistency, yes he has had some ropey old races as a hot headed youngster, but he's matured to that Alain Prost level of bringing the points home when the win is out of reach, something that it looks like Max Verstappen may never learn.

Soldato
I think that we're judging Verstappen a little too early. He's only just 22. Hamilton was nowhere near his current level of consistency until his mid to late 20s.

I think the age thing is only part to look, at the end of this year he'll have had 5 full seasons in F1.

Soldato
With the difficulty of comparing across different cars and era’s as well as statistically speaking drivers who always seemed to end up in the wrong cars - I think it is impossible to consider any one driver as GOAT.

Though I think you need some serious bias to consider Hamilton not up there with other greats.

Last edited:
Associate
Agree Greboth.

Hamilton has deservedly made amazing history. The driver who will be associated with a decade of success; well, what can you say.

History books will critique, analyse and awe Hamilton for years to come. What an achievement and won without controversy.

Its a different time, only, could you imagine if Hamilton took out an opposition in quest to win a WDC nowadays?

Hell, the fall out... from the British Press alone?

Hamilton races tough, but fair and within the rules and still cannot win the hearts; whereas other competitors (it seems) some rules don't apply...

Soldato
Hamilton races tough, but fair and within the rules and still cannot win the hearts; whereas other competitors (it seems) some rules don't apply...

Does a driver have to be liked to be GOAT? I find a lot of Hamiltons behaviour in relation to the fans and general press interviews to be contrived. Im not a fan of his personality (or lack thereof). But is anyone their real selves at work, particularly if that role is so high profile?

Maybe Hamilton likes to keep himself to himself and only close friends and family see the real person. What we see is his professional persona. Perhaps that is part of his success, that he can partition his mind between business and pleasure?

I cant say that Im a fan of his persona, but I think Hamilton is great for the sport, he is a role model for up and coming kids and there is no denying he is an exrltremely talented driver.

I am a fan of his driving ability. What sets him apart for me is that he gives consistently high performances even when on the back foot. Any driver can have moments of greatness or deliver a good result for the team here and there but to do so race after race under considerable pressure is what makes drivers like Hamilton truly great.

But yes I also feel there is luck in there too. He is in one of the best teams and cars going. I will be watching with interest what he pulls out in 21 onwards.

If he manages to dominate there as well for me he will become GOAT in F1 (so far!)

Soldato
But yes I also feel there is luck in there too. He is in one of the best teams and cars going. I will be watching with interest what he pulls out in 21 onwards.

Who was it who said that they found "the harder they worked, the better their luck got"? Mercedes was midfield for several years, and everyone said Hamilton was crazy to leave McLaren and go to Mercedes. Once in a generation drivers like Hamilton tend to bubble up to the top because they show their speed and talent in almost any car, and get poached by the bigger and better teams.

The thing for me about Hamilton is not just his relentless performance, but the way he's matured and improved, just getting better every season. He's fast, measured, minimises mistakes and maximises his points. He just doesn't seem to have any weaknesses as a driver.

Man of Honour
I am a fan of his driving ability. What sets him apart for me is that he gives consistently high performances even when on the back foot. Any driver can have moments of greatness or deliver a good result for the team here and there but to do so race after race under considerable pressure is what makes drivers like Hamilton truly great.

The thing for me about Hamilton is not just his relentless performance, but the way he's matured and improved, just getting better every season. He's fast, measured, minimises mistakes and maximises his points. He just doesn't seem to have any weaknesses as a driver.

Yeah his ability as a driver IMO is in a class of its own in the current crop and only a small number can match or beat it of the older drivers (for instance Clark) - as a racer arguably some are better or show the potential to be better if they focus and apply themselves (i.e. Verstappen) with their mentality towards race management, dealing with traffic, tactically fighting a position, etc. etc. but Hamilton demands the most from his cars from the onboard you can see he drives with a precision and commitment that I've not seen from any contemporary driver who often are some way from maximising the performance of the car they are in.

Soldato
Well I'd say he has earned his seat at the GOAT table, that's for sure.

For me he's at the head of it, but everyone has their favourite.

Off track I don't really care for him, but at work and on track he puts the work in and it shows.

Soldato
OP
Just listening to Ian Payne on LBC and he's (quite rightly) ranting that Lewis, after winning 6 championships, wasn't knighted in last night's new year's honours list. Yet other british champs like Stirling Moss had been, and let's face it, great as he was, Moss never won a single world championship. To add insult, a great british bake off winner got an OBE, lol.

Hmm, well, I guess if Lewis matches Schumacher next season and makes it 7, a knighthood is surely a no brainer.

Soldato
Just listening to Ian Payne on LBC and he's (quite rightly) ranting that Lewis, after winning 6 championships, wasn't knighted in last night's new year's honours list. Yet other british champs like Stirling Moss had been, and let's face it, great as he was, Moss never won a single world championship. To add insult, a great british bake off winner got an OBE, lol.

Hmm, well, I guess if Lewis matches Schumacher next season and makes it 7, a knighthood is surely a no brainer.
He'll get one once he retires don't worry. His name is written all over it mate

Back
Top Bottom