android/multimedia box

Soldato
Hi guys,

I have a non-smart lcd tv, I want to get a small and cheap box (android box or alike i guess) that I can connect to my TV(s) via hdmi so i can play movies off a usb memory stick and hopefully access iplayer, itv on demand and other such apps too. If i can use kodi that is a bonus too.
I have seen the likes of "X96 mini TV box" is that the best avenue for me to go up? Can anyone recommend me the best way for me to go?
Thanks in advance guys.

Soldato
Apparently the Amlogic ones are best for native kodi support, to do with chipset, 10 bit video support etc. Minix boxes etc

But if all you want is generic box then Rockbox should be fine, for youtube etc

Rockchip, not Rockbox.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. Another question, how easy is it (/is it possible) to upgrade/update the android OS on these boxes, particularly the lesser known chinese branded ones?

Soldato
I think the generic ones will never be updated for official firmware, maybe if they are generic you can use a generic "Rockchip" ROM suitable for that chipset? A bit like I'm using Pipo firmware on my Sumvision tablet, it's the same inside just rebranded case. Also issues of rooting? you want to get rid of ads etc, and possibly spyware/adware, junk, chinese apps etc.

Bit like my Sumvision Micro 4 box, they didn't provide much firmware updates for it, they seem to be throwaway devices once you get files that no longer play (ie H265, HVC, 10 bit etc) It's a basic media player, not Android it's own system.

Best to go onto android box forums and spend some time researching it.

Soldato
basically two versions of android- the android OS so it'll look like your mobile phone, or Android TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL2d6czERXA

For myself.

Music- TV needs to be off, but want to control the media box from the mobile, but media box is connected to the amp for audio.
Video- TV on, just browse shared network drives for video files.
Photos - V on, just browse shared network drives for photo files
Require optical or coaxial digital out (don't have HDMI for audio)
IR remote control window

This one looks good enough, I don't need 4K however if it plays 4K then sure plays 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZoLXGWOh4

About £60.

Last edited:
Associate
I got the Minix Neo U1 great box with decent forum support and out the box updates its always best to get one with good support and decent updates. Never go for these cheap Ebay chinese boxes. The Neo u1 is on Android 5.1 the newer box that Minix have brought out is the Minix Neo U9-H and thats on the s912 Soc and is on Marshmellow 6.0 but that costs more. If you are looking to play 4k off USB drive then the U1 would be good but if you want the latest KODI versions that will last longer and you want latest Playstore Apps then the U9-H would be the better shout. But these Boxes are not Cheap but what you get is Great support great updates and they are Well made and fast

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still using a Raspberry Pi 3 with OpenElec for my Media Player/Kodi/iPlayer etc needs.
Still great and can use my TV remote with it. Depends if you need the android stuff.

I got an android box to replace it at one point (OTT Q-Box Android TV) but it was just slow and added another remote to juggle, so I went back to the Pi.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still using a Raspberry Pi 3 with OpenElec for my Media Player/Kodi/iPlayer needs.
Still great. Depends if you need the android stuff.

Got a Pi3 but things like automount network share doesn't work, I can get it to work but if I reboot it loses it
It has no optical/coxial out, so I just get video.

£150 for a TV computer is too much, hopefully those S912 with updated rom by freaktab are ok.. ie
Sunvell T95U

I'm using this but want a new player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLyqPky6X4o

Soldato
Got a question about the Android boxes, can you move the selector with the remote- select icon then press with up/down/left/right and select, or do you need to use the air mouse/mouse button and mouse cursor?

Associate

Got a Pi3 but things like automount network share doesn't work, I can get it to work but if I reboot it loses it
It has no optical/coxial out, so I just get video.

£150 for a TV computer is too much, hopefully those S912 with updated rom by freaktab are ok.. ie
Sunvell T95U

I'm using this but want a new player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLyqPky6X4o
Hornet you really do make me laugh you go around advising people to spend thousands on A/V gear and then say £150 is to much for a computer for the TV LOL. And yes you can use the remote to select by up-down-left-right instead of using the Airmouse

Soldato
compared to octo core, 3GB ram, 64GB storage, it's a bit behind on top end spec. Also lacks optical output- which I need. Have downloaded supercelerons roms, but I'll leave stock for now (but update to latest stock) and see how it is, then in the future look into SC's ROM, determine which one I need etc.

Soldato
Does anyone know if the NVIDIA SHIELD TV is any good ?

And what the difference between the NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV and a sony TV like th A1 which has Android TV software ? :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
The Shield TV is the best android box you can get but not good value if you don't play games on it.
If it's just movie/tv watching etc you would be better with a Fire TV.
Android TV is designed for TVs so you can use a remote and the apps will work with remote.
The generic android boxes come with poor remotes and an OS designed for touchscreens like mobile or tablet.

Back
Top Bottom