Annoying issue: PC freezes in game

Man of Honour
I'll be playing a game and the screen will just freeze. It's entirely random, sometimes I can game for hours, over several days and it won't do it once. Other times, such as last night, it locks up every 30 minutes or so. The only way to get it back is to turn off the machine using the power button and start it up again.

I'm on the latest release of Windows 10, everything is up to date including all drivers and BIOS and so far I've tried the following:

Changed GPU (happened with two TXM, got a 1080Ti now
Changed RAM
Changed PSU
Removed all overclocking

All temps are fine, there's nothing in the Windows logs expect that the last shutdown was unknown. I think I've also changed the HDD at some point as I used to have a 512GB version which did the same.

Spec as follows:
Intel i7 5960X
Samsung PM961 1TB SSD
1080 Ti
MSI X99A XPower
16GG DDR4
LG 34UC97-P
Seasonic P1200 PSU
Phanteks Enthoo Primo with custom loop

Any suggestions?

Soldato
A long shot - but are you using an extension cable?

If so try running the main unit from the wall socket for testing - if not possible try another quality extension lead.

But with everything you've changed the MB isn't looking too innocent - but it could equally be a dodgy cable.

Associate
  1. Test your system with Superposition https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition to make sure same amount of load is applied to system to trigger the error or problems you are getting.
  2. Check your windows logs to see if we can see anything there, if still same, https://www.howtogeek.com/222730/how-to-find-out-why-your-windows-pc-crashed-or-froze/
  3. Clear cmos on your motherboard, dont use reset buttons use the jumpers itself or remove motherboard battery for 5-10 minutes and put it back again and try again if still same
  4. Check temperatures of hard disks and s.m.a.r.t to rule out harddisk are causing issues and try again if still same. https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/
  5. Uninstall all video card related utilities such as Afterburner, use DDU to uninstall all video card drivers, reinstall drivers and try again if still same
  6. Give your system a good clean up with compressed air including inside pci-x slots and try again if still same
  7. Make sure all parts and cables are connected firmly and try again if still same
  8. Try a different PCI-X slot and try again if still same
  9. Try a different pci-x power cable coming from your psu not the extension plugs from molex to pcix and try again if still same
  10. If all else fails remove all parts and test your build out of your case and try again if still same
  11. Try onboard graphic and try playing basic games , if still same
  12. Install fresh copy of windows and try again if still same
  13. Time to test parts 1 by 1, motherboard, power supply, graphic card etc.
Let us know how you get on.

Man of Honour
OP
A long shot - but are you using an extension cable?

If so try running the main unit from the wall socket for testing - if not possible try another quality extension lead.

But with everything you've changed the MB isn't looking too innocent - but it could equally be a dodgy cable.

I am, I'll see about cabling it up directly from the mains.

1. Test your system with Superposition https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition to make sure same amount of load is applied to system to trigger the error or problems you are getting.
  2. Check your windows logs to see if we can see anything there, if still same, https://www.howtogeek.com/222730/how-to-find-out-why-your-windows-pc-crashed-or-froze/
  3. Clear cmos on your motherboard, dont use reset buttons use the jumpers itself or remove motherboard battery for 5-10 minutes and put it back again and try again if still same
  4. Check temperatures of hard disks and s.m.a.r.t to rule out harddisk are causing issues and try again if still same. https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/
  5. Uninstall all video card related utilities such as Afterburner, use DDU to uninstall all video card drivers, reinstall drivers and try again if still same
  6. Give your system a good clean up with compressed air including inside pci-x slots and try again if still same
  7. Make sure all parts and cables are connected firmly and try again if still same
  8. Try a different PCI-X slot and try again if still same
  9. Try a different pci-x power cable coming from your psu not the extension plugs from molex to pcix and try again if still same
  10. If all else fails remove all parts and test your build out of your case and try again if still same
  11. Try onboard graphic and try playing basic games , if still same
  12. Install fresh copy of windows and try again if still same
  13. Time to test parts 1 by 1, motherboard, power supply, graphic card etc.
Let us know how you get on.

Most of those have been tried since I've changed GPUs, the PSU etc as well as reinstalling Windows 10.

I'll try the Superposition test at some point.

Man of Honour
OP
Ok, check the SSD usage though what you describe can be the drive maxing out periodically. Worth checking, the OS drive usually.
My friend said he had a similar Samsung NVME drive and it was the cause of similar lockups, so I'll have a look. The problem is that I can't seemingly recreate the issue, it's entirely random, and it doesn't do it on the desktop so there's no real way of knowing unless there's an overlay of some form? Guess I could wire up my second monitor but my desk is quite small.

Soldato
My friend said he had a similar Samsung NVME drive and it was the cause of similar lockups, so I'll have a look. The problem is that I can't seemingly recreate the issue, it's entirely random, and it doesn't do it on the desktop so there's no real way of knowing unless there's an overlay of some form? Guess I could wire up my second monitor but my desk is quite small.

You can open task manager, when it's happened just pop to desktop and check the disk usage to see if it spiked (it's a rolling line chart)

Man of Honour
OP
You got the latest NVME samsung drivers installed?
that fixed an issue similar for a friend of mine.

I think so. Was gaming most of the day yesterday and not one single crash.

You can open task manager, when it's happened just pop to desktop and check the disk usage to see if it spiked (it's a rolling line chart)

How when the entire PC has frozen?

Associate
Huh?

The only time it should say is "Not compatible" is the RAPID mode.

It should still tell you its up to dates on Firmware etc.

Soldato
Clean install of windows potentially, how hot is the drive getting? Sometimes it's just better to clean install... maybe try another drive to install the game on temporarily and see if it's the OS or game causing it also.

Finally, more specifics on the RAM/speed?

Back
Top Bottom