• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another 1060 gb v RX 480 8gb problem

Associate
Hi guys, right, I'm in a bit of a kerfuffle. Here's my little backstory....

I bought myself a new case for Christmas (Corsair 240) from MM (thanks djay) which then gave me the bug to upgrade my aging, non overclocked system (i5 2400S/P8B75 mobo/R7 260X/8gb ram/Hydro H50). Since then I've bought a Vapor-X 7950 (£70), 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro ram (£75), 2700K (basically free as bought as part of a bundle then sold spare bits + my 2400S on), an Asus Maximus V Gene (again, bough as part of a bundle but kept cpu (2550K) and case (240 Air) for the stepdaughter), a Hydro H105 cooler (£50) and a few SP120 LED fans (new).

Right, now I've got a decent system for once, which is already oc'd to 4.6, i feel my recently purchased GPU is now a weak link. With a budget of £180ish I'm torn between a GTX 1060 6gb "Reference Design" (seen on OcUK clearance for £188) or an RX 480 8gb RS from auction for £180. Is the RS as bad as the reviews say (Bad cooling/under-volted and cruddy overclocking)? I've only ever owned one nVidia card which was a 8800 GTS 320 but definitely don't consider myself an AMD fanboy and really don't mind switching sides if the RS isn't worth buying.......

I'm open to suggestions

Associate
OP
I have to be careful which version I get as I have the Corsair 240 air case, so clearance will be an issue with some 480's especially the MSI......

Associate
I have to be careful which version I get as I have the Corsair 240 air case, so clearance will be an issue with some 480's especially the MSI......

We're in the same boat on this one.

Same case, looking for a 480 as well.

Its the GPU width which is the issue, I think Corsair states a max width of 120mm and max length of 290mm (measured mine and I could easily fit something like 310mm)
I think the only 480's that will fit are either reference models with the blower design, or the red devil (maybe).

You have to find a card where the I/O plate and PCB are flush

Associate
OP
The red Devil is 310mm long
Corsair states for the 240 Air: Maximum GPU Length: 290mm/Maximum CPU Cooler Height: 120mm.
i have a dual rad at the front.

So I either go for the 1060 (Palit/Zotac/Reference) or a Reference 480. Bummer.

Associate
Yeah, measured it. I've got a dual rad in the front of my case which limits me to what I can get...

1st I had the same 7950 and its still going well in my brothers PC (amazing card)

For the extra VRAM id 100% personally go for a RX 480 8GB (nothing wrong with the 1060 6GB mind), looking at the picture id say the maximum card length for you is 290mm (you could push 300mm but then your in danger on interfering with the radiator)

Rather than the auction sites you could look at OCUK clearance deals, you can normally find a good deal there and they do come with 90day warranty

You can get a B-Grade 8GB 480 Nitro+ for £209 here (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-bg-149-sp.html)

Or for £20 more an Asus Strix 8GB 390 here (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...graphics-card-with-free-farcry-bg-884-as.html)

The Nitro would fit with ease (240mm long) the asus my be a squeeze (300mm long).

Associate
OP
I've been looking at the Nitro and 1060 6gb for a few days now in clearance, its £20-£30 out of my price range but the mouse has been hovering over the 'buy' button.........

Associate
OP
Dammit again. Tho saying that, if its just the latch, I could always find a few screws to secure the card in 'the normal way' instead of using the latch.....

Edit: Just seen this on PC PartPicker...

host my image

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom