Another Dell 2407WFP vs BenQ241WZ thread :o)

Associate
What settings you people use btw? In movies it feels like its missing vsync? There is certainly no ghosting for sure. Is there a vsync setting ? or something else?

Also does it matter what frequency you set? 59Hz - 75Hz you can set it. Any difference?

Last edited:
Associate
Does the Dell 2407 work well with the xbox 360 @ 1080p (1:1 aspect) using the vga cable? Any problems doing this e.g. tearing?

Soldato
drak3 said:
What settings you people use btw? In movies it feels like its missing vsync? There is certainly no ghosting for sure. Is there a vsync setting ? or something else?

Also does it matter what frequency you set? 59Hz - 75Hz you can set it. Any difference?
There's no v-sync type setting I can think of. However, I think there may be better players for video that prevent such things. I'm not sure what yet because I'm still waiting for my damn screen!

Soldato
drak3 said:

I don't know if it will help, but have you installed the FFDShow codec?
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

When I got my 2407, I searched for some HD videos to test picture quality, and I found a site which recommended FFDShow and MPlayer, which I installed. Videos run perfectly for me with WMP 11 or MPlayer.

If you want to check out some HD video, then this is one of the best quality 1080p video clips I've seen so far (242Mb):
http://http.download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/PureVideo_1080p.wmv
To download the file, you can right-click the link and save_as

Associate
Sir Random said:
I don't know if it will help, but have you installed the FFDShow codec?
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

When I got my 2407, I searched for some HD videos to test picture quality, and I found a site which recommended FFDShow and MPlayer, which I installed. Videos run perfectly for me with WMP 11 or MPlayer.

If you want to check out some HD video, then this is one of the best quality 1080p video clips I've seen so far (242Mb):
http://http.download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/PureVideo_1080p.wmv
To download the file, you can right-click the link and save_as

Thanks mate. I think it improved :) By the way, is nvidia better for watching videos or ATI? I mean the driver support and things like PureVideo that demo shows. I got ATI atm, never had the chance to watch HD using nvidia.

Last edited:
Associate
Hen_Dawg said:
There's no v-sync type setting I can think of. However, I think there may be better players for video that prevent such things. I'm not sure what yet because I'm still waiting for my damn screen!

The problem is what you get with Vsync off in a game. The screen does not ghost, so is either player or driver issue.

The only minus of these monitors is the slight video noise you can notice if you are watching from your desk (thats 50cm away?) which is insane for such big size monitor. However, the desktop view you get is A++!

Associate
Can you fix tearing by some settings or program with this monitors? (if its called tearing, I don't really know)

edit: I dont think is tearing, it looks more like a sync problem. When there is movement in a video.

Last edited:

ATI

ATI

Associate
hello all

i,m considering getting this as well shame about the price has gone up, dammmnn

does anyone know if it is a 8-bit panel?

Associate
ATI said:
hello all

i,m considering getting this as well shame about the price has gone up, dammmnn

does anyone know if it is a 8-bit panel?
Original was based on 8 bit Samsung LTM240M2 Panel. However its gone through many iterated versions of this Panel since to resolve the banding issues found in the first release.

ATI

ATI

Associate
thanks for that

i,m a bit confused, i have read couple of posts and i,m worried about:

- colour banding
- contrast isnt available via dvi
- text fuzziness

and confused about it not able to play 1080p:

Does the 2407WFP support 1080i/p picture through DVI? - No.
Does the 2407WFP support 1080p picture through component? - No.
Does the 2407WFP support 1080i picture through component? - Yes.
from tftcentral, but some posts say it does?

how does it compare to benq 241w in terms of IQ?

thanks

Man of Honour
ATI said:
thanks for that

i,m a bit confused, i have read couple of posts and i,m worried about:

- colour banding
- contrast isnt available via dvi
- text fuzziness

and confused about it not able to play 1080p:

from tftcentral, but some posts say it does?

how does it compare to benq 241w in terms of IQ?

thanks

colour banding? wow, this worry is still going on?! the banding has pretty much all been eliminated now, i really doubt you would see any in real use, maybe some slight traces if you go searching for it with gradient patterns. Tbh though, that is quite common on most screens, i would not worry about the infamous "banding issue". Contrast is rarely available via DVI interfaces on TFT's, but again, not something to be worried about. You can always change things via your GFX card settings if need be, but i doubt you'd need to anyway. Text fuzziness was fixed with Rev A01, so no need to worry about that any more.

Regarding the HD support, that list was originally based on what the genesys controller chip can handle. I've seen some talk of upgrades on latest rev, but i'm not sure if that is the case.

Back
Top Bottom