Another PC build thread

Soldato
Hello folks,
Havent graced this thread for... quite a while now.

My last rig I purchased by in 2013 I think it was (or thereabouts).

i7 4770k with an MSI Z87-G45 mobo.
32GB of Corsair PC12800 1600MHz stuff.
A smattering of SSDs and a 2TB HDD.
3080RTX in there as well.

Honestly speaking, I dont think I have a lot of time to build a new rig, so what I am looking for is to take out some of the elements of my existing rig (mainly the drives and the graphics card) and plonk them into a prebuilt affair.

So heres the million dollar question....

Does OCUK offer such a build/customisation service?

Without the 3080TI/SSDs, I am happy to spending up to £2k on this.

Just to show you how out of touch I am, Im not familiar with these m dot drives? (or however you call them) but again I would entertain this as well in the rig if faster than SSDs, which I assume they are.

(I assume that people dont by these m dot drives for mass storage but rather just for the OS drive)?

Thanks in advance OCUK folks, appreciate any insights and advice you can give.

Man of Honour
I think the best option would to contact overclockers in the customer service section of the forum.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/community/ocuk-customer-service.116/

Overclockers will customize or build you a pc to your requirements but as you want to use your parts that's the big question.

M2 drives are good for fast data transfer but in general usage any gaming there is little diffrence to a ssd. Loading times may be one second diffrence. The other advantage they just slot into the motherboard, no cables required.

Man of Honour
Thanks. In the meantime is there any particular spec of cpu mobo and ram to go for?
You should be looking at the new 5000 series cpu from amd but availability is an issue . The 5800x 8 core would fit nice in your budget. 32 gb ddr4 3600mhz ram and msi x570 tomahawk Wi-Fi.

Psu 750w to 850w quality unit.

Soldato
Thanks bud. How about intel? I’ve always been an intel user. But I understand the recent Ryzens are pretty nifty

Not this generation: it lacks PCIe v4 support. This will be important when new games stream textures from the M.2 drive and should you wish to use other slots on the motherboard as a v4 x8 slot has the same bandwidth as a v3 x16 slot when used with v4 cards.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, never thought about it that way.... thanks for the info.

Could someone kindly spec me up a Ryzen system? As I said Im willing to splash around £2k (excluding gfx card and the current ssd/hdd I have).

Is AMD really the way to go now? Not worth going down the intel route with 9th or 10th gen i7?

Soldato
OP
Not this generation: it lacks PCIe v4 support. This will be important when new games stream textures from the M.2 drive and should you wish to use other slots on the motherboard as a v4 x8 slot has the same bandwidth as a v3 x16 slot when used with v4 cards.
Sorry bud are you refering to the Ryzens or Intels being not supporting PCIe V4?

What implications does this have for GFX cards?

Soldato
Assuming don’t care for RGB, I’d go for the below with that budget and if you want longevity...

The difficulty will be sourcing the Zen 3 CPU though, like gold dust right now!

Things like case, AIO/cooler etc along with other aesthetics is entirely your choice... Even mobo you may prefer the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite, or Asus X570-F or -E model variants too. But would definitely stick with X570 chipset.

£420 AMD 5800X CPU (or 5900X £510 ish)
£100 Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm AIO
£190 MSI X570 Tomahawk MOBO
£155 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz RAM
£210 WD Black SN850 1TB NVME M.2 (just released, hefty £ but very future proof)
£140 Corsair RM850x PSU
£140 Fractal Meshify S2 Case

Total approx £1355 region

Soldato
but in general usage any gaming there is little diffrence to a ssd. Loading times may be one second diffrence. The other advantage they just slot into the motherboard, no cables required.
While that is currently true it may change in the not to distant future once the new features like RTX IO take hold so if future proofing now then it's worth going for an nvme for game storage.

Soldato
OP
Thanks bud. As I said I can go up to 2k.
Still not getting my head round the latest intel Vs and situation. Reading up they're saying that the Ryzen is superior to 10th Gen Intel for games but intel kicks ass in single core apps?

Soldato
Sorry bud are you refering to the Ryzens or Intels being not supporting PCIe V4?

Current Intel CPUs do not support PCIE v4.

What implications does this have for GFX cards?

Reduced bandwidth if you use the x8 slot and reduced performance when streaming directly from a NVME drive. AMD demonstrated the latter a while back. This is unlikely to affect you for 6 months or more.

Reading up they're saying that the Ryzen is superior to 10th Gen Intel for games but intel kicks ass in single core apps?

Pretty much correct. Intel does, however, win on availability.

Soldato
OP
Cheers bud.
So from a gaming point of view the Ryzen looks to be the one to go for...

Is it worth getting rid of the 3080 and getting a 6800XT since it will gel with the Ryzen (assuming I can get one)....

Is the Ryzen really like gold dusty now? Cant be had? I.e. same as the 3080s?

If I went Intel, what would you guys recommend... as I said I can go up to £2k on the build.

Soldato
Cheers bud.
So from a gaming point of view the Ryzen looks to be the one to go for...

Is it worth getting rid of the 3080 and getting a 6800XT since it will gel with the Ryzen (assuming I can get one)....

Is the Ryzen really like gold dusty now? Cant be had? I.e. same as the 3080s?

If I went Intel, what would you guys recommend... as I said I can go up to £2k on the build.
After the 3080 wait no way was I hanging about for a new Ryzen. Previous i7 6700K/ Asus Hero mobo were rock solid for many years and great for OC'ing... new i9 10850K/MSI Z490 are the same, 5.2 all core OC no problem, 10 cores overkill for gaming at the mo, but who knows later on? I7 10700K probably sweet spot and cheaper. Hero Z490 mobo is £400 on OCUK curently and would have been my first choice.

Soldato
OP
Cheers turbo.
Ive always been in the intel camp.
Are the differences between the Ryzen and Intel THAT much? I mean I heard about about the PCI V4 and whatnot but will this really have a big impact on real world gameplay/fps?

Whats the mobo of choice these days?
And cooler?
Sparx mentioned the £100 Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm AIO, but whatabout the Corsair range? I have a H100 from previous years, are they any good (or later versions?)

Soldato
OP
Just on another note folks. I understand that there are OEM 5800Xs available for builds by OCUK.

If I were to go AMD route I would like to replace the Mobo of course and the M.2 drives to Gen 4.

Any recommendations for Mobo (similar to the MSI Ace) and M.2 drives (500GB for an OS drive and 2TB for a games drive).

Much appreciated folks.

Soldato
OP
Well not much activity here :)

Ive finally pushed the button on below.

£5.41 x 1 - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)

£241.66 x 1 - WD Black 2TB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS200T3X0C)

£54.16 x 1 - WD Black 500GB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS500G3X0C)

£124.99 x 1 - Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Combo Supply

£149.99 x 1 - Corsair Hydro Series iCUE H150i Elite CAPELLIX RGB Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - 360mm (CW-9060048

£266.66 x 1 - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit

£274.99 x 1 - MSI MEG Z490 ACE (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

£499.99 x 1 - Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7GHz (Comet Lake) Socket LGA1200 Processor - Retail

£0.00 x 1 - FREE WITH CP-67W-IN: Intel® Channel Enthusiast Bundle - TROY A Total War Saga, Remnant, Plants & Zombies, Euro Truck

£166.66 x 1 - Fractal Design Define 7 XL Full-Tower - Black Light Tint Tempered Glass

I was contemplating getting this built by OCUK.

But then I thought, nah. My love for PCs was in building rigs and testing them. Im sure there is going to be some frustrations along the way, but thats part of the game and the satisfaction from overcoming challenges that builds present. Cant wait!

I want to really say thanks to everyone on OCUK in the various threads who gave their advice on all aspects of the build, much appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Yes Ive had to think about this and here is what I thought....

1. Im coming from a 4770k, so any benefits going from this to 10900 or a Zen 3, will seem the same to me.
2. Ive contemplated the PCIe Gen 4 argument, but for now Im not fussed on this.
3. I do want to have my system built now and not wait till next year (perhaps short sighted but Im sure you agree Im not building a dog of a rig).
4. Gaming is what I am doing, benchmarks put the 10900 and 5950 almost neck and neck.... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56UPqJ24ko0)
5.... cant think of anything else :)

Back
Top Bottom