• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another Round of Price Increases ?

Soldato
I'm heading to the Usa on the black Friday weekend for a two week holiday, looks like I will be looking for bargains when over there and not here. Luckily I had a load of dollars left from my last holiday so I'm not feeling the hit from the weak pound so much. Needing a laptop so maybe look at a gaming one, hope they are cheaper over there as gaming laptop prices are crazy here.

Soldato
Just come back from the USA, certain supermarket chains had offers on gaming laptops and 1080's / 1070's and I nearly bought a 1070 for $299, if I got caught and had to pay tax it would work out not such a good deal so I bottled it :mad:

Also as was mentioned in another thread the warranty can be a minefield with no Uk Support if a problem arises.

Soldato
It probably means by the time I get around to completing the second part of my upgrade a GTX1060 or RX480 will probably be like £300.

OTH,I made sure I upgraded my monitor and PSU,since I can see the replacement model for the previous being more like £400 to £450 instead of the £240 I paid(standard price is more like £300 to £350 for it when the pound was stronger but it was on offer).

However,I decided I needed some upgrades to camera system too- the last time the pound devalued some of the lenses I could get for £450 ended up shooting upto like £700 and they didn't drop down when the pound recovered sadly so I learnt my lesson. I can plod along with my GTX960 for the timebeing - it will at least make me probably finish more of my games in my Steam catalogue!!

:p

But it does make me more worried longterm - if computer parts start going up a decent amount it makes the PC even look more expensive as a platform especially with some of the retarded pricing we are getting from AMD and Nvidia in the last year or so,and it might make consoles look more attractive for the average gamer especially with the refreshed ones and price drops on the older ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love OCUK, always will. Have purchased from here for like a decade. I have used other websites in the past and while they are alright, I have never had better customer service than what I have received at OCUK.

While the prices are sometimes a little higher, it is worth it in my opinion just for the quality of service overall.

Soldato
Just come back from the USA, certain supermarket chains had offers on gaming laptops and 1080's / 1070's and I nearly bought a 1070 for $299, if I got caught and had to pay tax it would work out not such a good deal so I bottled it :mad:

Also as was mentioned in another thread the warranty can be a minefield with no Uk Support if a problem arises.

Is that after sales tax though? In the US stores don't have to display tax in the price, which is lame. So often things appear a bargain, but actually aren't when you add the tax on :p

But yea, generally things are much cheaper in the US. We get seriously shafted in the UK (all of the EU does tbh).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You only have to look at hotukdeals to see console prices are unaffected. PC hardware on the other hand has just sky rocketed. Shame really.

Not just consoles, most household electrical goods haven't risen as much as PC components. SSD price rise has just been absolutely shocking.

Soldato
Not just consoles, most household electrical goods haven't risen as much as PC components. SSD price rise has just been absolutely shocking.

PC hardware has very little lag. Because the value of PC components depreciates so rapidly, manufacturers have to be very careful not to over-produce. If you make too many fridges well you're going to have to pay for warehousing but at least you can still sell them at the same price next year. Make too many 1060 3GB cards and good luck offloading them at the same price a year from now. So production is very carefully gauged which means that when costs shift, the response is very fast. Additionally many of these goods are priced in pounds. So for example I think Asus has stock of monitors in the UK which you buy in pounds so it isn't immediately impacted. But GPUs are bought in dollars so they are.

Other goods will rise as well. Nearly everything will. Including food which is forecast to rise already. They just take longer to show up than GPUs, etc.

Soldato
PC hardware has very little lag. Because the value of PC components depreciates so rapidly, manufacturers have to be very careful not to over-produce. If you make too many fridges well you're going to have to pay for warehousing but at least you can still sell them at the same price next year. Make too many 1060 3GB cards and good luck offloading them at the same price a year from now. So production is very carefully gauged which means that when costs shift, the response is very fast. Additionally many of these goods are priced in pounds. So for example I think Asus has stock of monitors in the UK which you buy in pounds so it isn't immediately impacted. But GPUs are bought in dollars so they are.

Other goods will rise as well. Nearly everything will. Including food which is forecast to rise already. They just take longer to show up than GPUs, etc.

Or it could be that there are only a few major PC hardware sellers in the U.K. and they are setting the prices. You only have to look at gpu releases to see other retailers adjust their prices compared to what each other are charging. If one company is charging too little the price rises in line to the other major players, prices can change hours after release.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

How is it the price rises on SSD seem to more at OC than any other retailer?

Associate
Prices going up...

Guys what is happening with prices of gpus? I'm looking to get a new in next two-tree weeks but the prices skyrocket... Now I'm confuse will it still go up? Is it better for me to wait a bit or what?

Associate
That not very good, I was hoping to get zotac 1070 three fan model as it was £430 now is £470. Btw: If OC got the graphic card in the warehouse and they pay for them why is their price affected by the price of pound or are they not pay for as of yet only when they are bought by a customer the supplier get the cut?

Associate
Its called supply and demand, I wouldn't say overclockers rip people off they just adjust prices dynamically as markets go up and down. Modern retailing is a complicated business. Nobody forces anybody to buy from them as that is up to the customer, so if lots of people buy from a competitor of overclockers then ocuk will have to drop the price in order to be competitive and boost sales back up. Overclockers buy and sell GPU's in vast quantities so will be buying very often and this is when the prices go up as some folk were blind to the fact the the value of the pound was going to drop like a stone. Have a look at prices elsewhere is anybody undercutting ocuk by much?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's already been said, most GPUs that OC acquire are on 30 day (iirc) account and paid in dollars.

So currency fluctuations can have affect on current stock, particularly if it's high/fast turnover stock as they may not have been paid for yet.

Back
Top Bottom