Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Man of Honour
Ribs were really good. One bag got a puncture from a sharp rib and the texture on those was not as good but the other one was fantastic. The glaze is really tasty. When I do it again I would make double the quantity of glaze as I like them well coated. The peanuts and lemon grass sprinkled on top really added to it. Definitely something I will repeat. Also made sweet and sour chicken and singapore noodles.

I also did the creme brulee and that's delicious. Although I over cooked it accidentally leaving it an extra half an hour, which made it quite firm.

Man of Honour
Ribs sound awesome Skidder.

Re bags I find the cheapest easiest are tie-handle freezer bags (make sure you get freezer-safe, which are also heat-safe. Consider double-bagging and be careful of long cooks above 75c in them as glue can fail.

I tend to use freezer bags if I'm going to use the food immediately. If storing you really want proper vac bags.

Soldato
Tesco zip loc bags have done the trick for me so far. Bought some cheap ones from a corner shop that split in less than an hour so it's worth spending a little more on semi decent ones.

I've also chucked a couple of pre vac packed fish fillets, frozen lamb legs and pork shoulders straight in with no issues. I figure the packaging is obviously freezer safe (ergo heat safe) and the industrial vac packing will inevitably be more thorough than the water displacement method. I season etc when searing them at the end. YMMV though.

Man of Honour
I feel like a right fat lad. Having made those creme brulees on Friday I've had pretty much one a day since. Thankfully they are now gone.

Thanks re the bags.

I've been using Ikea freezer safe. I am tempted to get a proper vacum sealer.

Man of Honour
12-14p a time, so not that bad. Sure, maybe double the cost at a push, but double a small amount and they're more than twice as good, imo... bags which split are annoying to say the least!

Oh..that's cheaper than I thought. It looked more like 70p a time when I had a quick glance.

Mind linking me to the ones you use?

I know it's not much money in the grand scheme of things. I've also never had any issues with splitting myself but it's rare I do high temp sous-vide.

Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bad luck on the brisket.

Anyone have a thought on cooking times and temps for whole partridge? I have 6 of the little fellas to do for lunch. Was thinking sous vide an then a quick brown.

Man of Honour
http://www.nisbets.co.uk/3/Catering...hines-Vacuum-Packing-Machines/c02c03c03.p12.1

That should have stuff listed low to high in terms of price, so it's fairly easy to see all the options. Obviously you want embossed ones if vac packing with a vacuum packer like the one above. BTW, the diy rolls they sell look tempting, but they're just hassle tbh... I much prefer premade bags.

I have a Freshpack Pro which I've had for years. They're all much of a muchness, I'd guess.

Cheers for the link. I currently use vacuum seal rolls (for stuff I'm going to store) as they're handy for the quite variable size stuff I cook. Think I'll def pick up some of the cheaper bags though. Less hassle than tie bags in many ways.

Bad luck on the brisket.

Anyone have a thought on cooking times and temps for whole partridge? I have 6 of the little fellas to do for lunch. Was thinking sous vide an then a quick brown.

Not personally I'm afraid. I think ChefSteps might have covered that kind of thing though?

Man of Honour
Afraid no pics but it was the best Partridge I've had. The breast was soft as anything. I used the same technique for the sauce but with red wine. Was yum.

I did it for 22 mins. Was bang on!

Man of Honour
I just get them at the butchers. Our butcher is good for game.

I cook with pheasant quite a lot (although butcher hasn't got any yet). Fantastic for curries!

Back
Top Bottom