Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Man of Honour
@OMS - it'd be fine at 60/62 but I don't think it would work that well at the 55C option they also suggest. 55C is great for some cuts but ox cheek not so much (just imo).

@Moses - no worries. Can you give me a rough idea though? :)

Man of Honour
SE sous-vide carnitas tested tonight - really awesome. Reducing the pork stock and re-adding it to the pork before grilling really helped. As did squeezing two full limes over the pork just before and after grilling (as in, one before, one after).

Soldato
Didn't really get many pictures but I made the pulled pork last weekend, 22hours at 74c followed by 1.5 in the over.

Rubbed

https://goo.gl/photos/c4tpzQXLKehWzBto9

Into the homemade Sous Vide Box.

https://goo.gl/photos/e5QgSt7YPgNhSu4S9

Oven Baking

https://goo.gl/photos/eax6hHnGm3LWnfU4A

I cooked the whole thing up with fat on then cut it off before putting it in the oven, and turned this into a spicy crackling too, which was amazing, the pork was still quite juicy but ripped apart perfectly, my guests really enjoyed it, and used the juice from the bag and whipped it up into a bbq gravy which was amazing. Definitely room for improvement on the pork, but think thats the perfectionist in me, my guests said it was the juiciest they'd ever had...

Going to give some fish a go this week, but need to get some to try, will probably give Tuna Steak a go. And also going to make some baffles for my icebox so it doesn't need as much water in it due to the depth.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, so what type of pot could I use for water bath? I'll only really be cooking small meals. I saw a post a while ago about some sort of plastic container but cant find it from a quick flick back through.

Also I assume getting a container not too large is sensible or the circulator will spend ages heating it up and keepinhg it at temperature?

Man of Honour
Get something nice and thick. Decent butcher to provide some well marbled and aged sirloin or similar.

54.5C for an hour or two, depending on thickness. You can get away with less time than this though.

Take steak out, searing hot pan, knob of butter, one minute per side to brown.

That's pretty much it :)

Associate
Best. Steak. Ever.

Why had it taken me so long to do that. 54.5c for just over an hour, then in the pan on the hottest setting for 1 min a side with butter. Perfectly rare to medium rare, so tender and my goodness the moisture......Served with button mushrooms and a jacket potato. NOM.

Associate
Had a bit of a fail with a lamb leg I deboned and put in for 10 hours @ 75 or 70c which came out horribly dry and was pretty much poaching in all its juices. Saw one or two recipes which suggested this but I think it should have been shoulder - I thought the leg was a pretty tough cut? :o

Anyway I'm going to try this again for a deboned lamb shoulder tomorrow - I want that pulled / falling apart braisey texture. Any recommendations for times / temps? Preferably 10 hours or under - I'd be getting it from the supermarket so it wouldn't be a huge piece.

Soldato
OP
Where did you get 72° from?! That's massively OTT for a leg - you should be aiming for something around the 60° mark.

Shoulder is the far tougher cut to cook, be that sous vide or otherwise, so you either aim for the same 60° and cook for a lot longer (20hrs works well) or go higher but for a shorter time. I've done shoulder at 76° for 8 hours and it was superb.

Back
Top Bottom