Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Caporegime
Nope, you have everything you need right there.

Would be interesting to know how many people use the wifi feature to control it... I just set it manually and that's it.

wasn't sure if wifi would help but it is supposedly more powerful and it had a bigger discount so not too much more than the bluetooth. Only annoying thing is I didn't get free delivery and their delivery was pricy. But far cheaper straight form them than through Amazon. 120euro delivered

Soldato
Quite fancy doing a venison loin this weekend. How much do you think one for two would set us back at our (posh, west London :p) butchers?

Associate
wasn't sure if wifi would help but it is supposedly more powerful and it had a bigger discount so not too much more than the bluetooth. Only annoying thing is I didn't get free delivery and their delivery was pricy. But far cheaper straight form them than through Amazon. 120euro delivered

Very good point on the 800W vs 900W power difference - that alone is pretty worthwhile.

Quite fancy doing a venison loin this weekend. How much do you think one for two would set us back at our (posh, west London :p) butchers?

More than I'd care to pay... I reckon you'll be lucky to find it cheaper than £30 a kilo probably closer to £40 with London taxes applied - I'm quite tempted with some venison myself now.

Soldato
Squid Vicious said:
More than I'd care to pay... I reckon you'll be lucky to find it cheaper than £30 a kilo probably closer to £40 with London taxes applied - I'm quite tempted with some venison myself now.
Seems to be about that on ocado so yeah. Slight problem with sous vide is that it tempts you to want to cook all the most expensive cuts of meat..

Man of Honour
“How long should you sous vide your steak”

“As long as it takes to be at the doneness you prefer.”

Is that the crux of it? Breaking news. The time and temp is always like that - some people prefer chicken breast at 60 and some at 65, some prefer more bite to their protein and some don’t, etc.

That's kinda right actually. Take a look here for a good guide to start with.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide

If it's thicker than normal, add some time, thinner, remove some time. But, personally... have a play. See what you like and what you don't.

Doing both a leg of lamb and a pork tenderloin later this week. Going to be interesting and hopefully... tasty. ;)

Caporegime
Quite the opposite. For 99.999999999999999999999999% of users there is no appreciable difference between 800W and 900W models. The wifi part is also very niche though small percentage of people might find it useful.

There was 9euros difference so that seemed worth while, normally there would be 30e delta which might make \me think a little more.

Associate
Small bit of advice please...
I fancy trying a bit of surf and turf, was going to do fillet steak and lobster tail. I usually do my steak at 54c for 2 hours then torch it but see a few different temps and times for the tail. Having only one bath, how would you recommend getting these to the plate at the same time?
My initital thought was to take the meat out of the shell and make a small biske with it meaning it was lobster meat only in the bath.

Man of Honour
Just done the Pork Fillet/Tenderloin.

Oh... my.... god.... :eek:

Salt, pepper and a decent sprig of rosemary on each side then 2 hours at 57°C (medium rareish) and then a swift searing *blowtorch again*, sliced into about 1" slices and served with roasty spuds and steamed veg. Extremely juicy and tender. Other half usually insists on apple sauce with pork, she didn't use any as she said it wasn't needed.

Balls to pork loin steaks or pork chops. I'm doing this again. Bit cheaper as well as another plus.

Associate
Pork belly in at 76C for 8 hours - just having it nice and simple with some apple sauce and saving some to go into a broth during the week.

5 hours remaining - any tips for crackling though?

Soldato
Just done the Pork Fillet/Tenderloin.

Oh... my.... god.... :eek:
Sounds lush. Perhaps that'll be the dish to persuade my girlfriend to enjoy some pork (ooer missus!)...

Question, do you salt it the same as you would a nice steak? Or is that salting exclusive to beef/steak? :confused: Also, when you blowtorch do you do it in a pan at the same time, or exclusively the torch?

Man of Honour
Sounds lush. Perhaps that'll be the dish to persuade my girlfriend to enjoy some pork (ooer missus!)...
Question, do you salt it the same as you would a nice steak? Or is that salting exclusive to beef/steak? :confused: Also, when you blowtorch do you do it in a pan at the same time, or exclusively the torch?

Always good to get a nice portion of pork into them. ;)

Pretty much seasoned exactly the same as I normally would, and was blowtorched on a stainless grate on top of a pan to catch any mess. Didn't pan sear at all. Really should pan sear more often, but I don't much at all now I've got the torch.

Caporegime
My new toy finally arrived and to try it out I picked up a very cheap cut of beef for a test. Not even sure what it is, french translates to "boiling beef" has some tough layers separated by fat (40% discount and the half price so qaacheap experiment). Could be tasty when done, but that is the quwsques. No idea of temperature or time. So far been 64C for 3 hours, but wonder if I should drop to say 57 and do it overnight. I won't be eating g it tonight so if it going for 24-30hours that is no problem. Any thoughts?

Associate
forgot to update!
fillet stole the show really...
did some beef dripping chips to go with it and used griddle pan instead of the usual blow torch.
SgBaEZO.jpg
this was £25/kg from morrisons butcher.
66iM0zd.jpg
the reason i got the fillet from there was because it is the only place near me that does raw lobster tail that is frozen. that was £10 for two.
2znMq08.jpg
just like advised, 54c for 2 hours.
EaoMKmm.jpg
went a bit heavy with the cream on the biske so lost the redness but was a very nice addition.
iJKg5jE.jpg
pictures never seem to turn out right but it was so smooth and tender, i just can't see myself buying any other cut for sous vide now!
YthHMQa.jpg
it was a little over for my liking and think i would apply more seasoning next time for a thick cut but just wow, will skip the tails next time and go for steak and chips. with some other sauce!

Associate
Bone in rib of beef just gone into a bucket at 55C for 3 hours (it's about 2.5-3" thick)

First time cooking a bit of meat of this size so interested in seeing and tasting the results!

Man of Honour
Just a quick heads up.

Lidl have the silvercrest vacuum sealer available again from next Thursday. IIRC £25 and the rolls of cut to size vacuum bags are £5 each. 3 narrower rolls or 2 wider ones. I've gone through a couple of packs of each and haven't had a leak yet. Although, I do double seal each end.

Soldato
Thanks for the reminder, I spotted these on the website the other day. I've also used a couple of rolls of these, again double sealing each end. Only complaint is that occasionally they aren't all that flat which can cause a bit of a problem with sealing but generally they've been good.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the reminder, I spotted these on the website the other day. I've also used a couple of rolls of these, again double sealing each end. Only complaint is that occasionally they aren't all that flat which can cause a bit of a problem with sealing but generally they've been good.

Just gone and bought 2 packs of each. Should do for a little while. ;)

Back
Top Bottom