Antec P180 Owners Thread

Associate
Rojin said:
Don't see how your system temp cam be higher than your cpu temp. Have you got the tunnel working with the arctic freezer?

I haven'te got a p180, but i have got an arctic freezer, my cpu temp hovers between 30-35 and my case between 40-45, has always been like this....

Soldato
Hey guess what?

I have the flashing HD led thing now. Im not doing anything to the system and it keeps flashing at me. I wonder if its my optical drives as previously stated?

Very strange.

Associate
Jimbo said:
Here are my system temps, I have just installed a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 CPU Cooler it was a nightmare to install in this case by the way, the top fan was in the way.

Idle
CPU temp (fluctating between 34c and 30c)
System 37c
HD 1 39
HD 2 47 (Maxtor 250gig are they supposed to run so hot?)
HD 3 38c

VGA Temp 54c

Can anyone tell me if these look good or bad?
Gotta mate with Maxtor 16GB, they are too hot to hold your hand against for any length of time. I've only had IBM's, Samsung and Western Digital's, none of them were ever so hot you could'nt hold your hand against them. Maybe some Maxtor boys can confirm/deny??

Associate
superflyguy said:
Gotta mate with Maxtor 16GB, they are too hot to hold your hand against for any length of time. I've only had IBM's, Samsung and Western Digital's, none of them were ever so hot you could'nt hold your hand against them. Maybe some Maxtor boys can confirm/deny??

Darn, that should read 160GB!:o

Associate
Jimbo said:
Hey guess what?

I have the flashing HD led thing now. Im not doing anything to the system and it keeps flashing at me. I wonder if its my optical drives as previously stated?

Very strange.

I've got this, is it the HD or Power one that's flashing? I thought it was the power one that was bright blue, and thought it should be on all the time. May try disconnecting my optical drives to see what happens...

Associate
Well after owning and running with this case for several weeks now I have to say it has good points and also quite a few bad points!

I change cases quite often and its normaly a trouble free simple operation! This case however is a major pain in the backside to build! The power supply at the bottom issue means that most power supplies have cables that don't reach certain connectors on motherboards. The PS fitting and lack of room means that you cannot run the HD bay fan at the bottom without huge cabling problems in the confined bottom space. In fact trying to get this case tidy is a massive planning operation in its self!
I ended up buying a Modular Hyper R supply and this did enable a neat cable job but in hind sight the time spent and hair pulling moments weren't worth the end results!
Temps are quite high and without the bottom fan your HD's do get a bit toasty!

Associate
Jimbo said:
Hey guess what?

Very strange.

Guess what...so have I!

shock33 said:
I've got this, is it the HD or Power one that's flashing? I thought it was the power one that was bright blue, and thought it should be on all the time. May try disconnecting my optical drives to see what happens...

I posted this problem a while back, when I unplugged my cd re-writer the flahing light stopped, so thought i had solved the problem, but after getting a new drive and plugging that in it's place I had the same problem again (hd led flashes once every secound), BUT get this, if I plugged in my dvd-rw in its place it did,unt flash.

Any how I have a funny feeling that it allways did this but was never really noticeable on my old case as I bridged my hd led across from my old case it it was hardly even noticeable so I think it must that the led in the p180 is more sensetive.

Last edited:
Associate
Elvis Himselvis said:
I've ordered a P180, Seasonic S12-500 PSU and Asus A8N Premium mobo. Does anyone have any experience of this combination and whether or not the PSU cable will run to the motherboard.

Shock33, how did you get on with your Seasonic? which model PSU do you have and which Mobo?

Sorry, only just seen this question!

I had no problems with the routing of the power cables, albeit they run over the Graphics card as they did previously in the picture (they don't touch it though and I've sleeved them now). I've got the S12 430W running a NF7S.

Soldato
riven said:
- Remember which side panel is which, they should not be put on the wrong way round as this may damage the case.

Care to elaborate on that? As far as I can see the panels are identical so I'm wondering if you are basing that on experience with your case or something you read.

It's pretty easy to see which is which though; just look for the screw markings in the middle slot, which ever panel has the markings is the panel that doesn't use the thumbscrews (i.e the panel that doesn't allow access to the main internal sections, rear panel I call it.)

Associate
For anyone having temp problems with this case - I just fiited a Vantec Stealth 120mm fan in the front bay (top HD bay) and its made a considerable difference to the overall case temperature! (-8deg)
Ithink one problem with these cases is that there is no fan sucking air into the main compartment yet two extracting it! -seems to work for me anyhow.

Associate
Has anyone tried any silenx fans in this case? I'm considering them at the moment as they are very quiet (I've used them before) but don't move as much air as the antec tri-cool at full blast, only 58 cfm. Is it going to provide enough cooling?

Soldato
The SilentX do not put out 58cfm despite what the specs say. And they are well known for being creative with their specs. Just ask anyone over as silenpcreview.com. I went with some Nexus fans and they are dead quiet...quotes 22db and much quieter then the Akasa ambers which are rated at a dubious 18db. But the Nexus dont push as much air. A good balance I found was the new Acoutproducts Dustproof fans. Only slightly louder then the Ambers but push a realistic 56cfm. In the end though I found they didnt respond well to a fan controller, making a sort of pulsing noise at 7v. I settled finally on the stock Antec fans which came with the case. And you know what...at medium setting they are pretty quiet and push a nice bit of air.

Associate
Jimbo said:
Actually this flashing blue led is doing my ******* head in!

Thats what I said when I was getting my last three points!

Yeh my case is still doing the same and coupled with the fact that it cost a fortune was a pain to build, required extra power extensions, runs hot and aint that quiet I am looking lovingly back at my old Cheiftec dragon!

Associate
Elvis Himselvis said:
Has anyone tried any silenx fans in this case? I'm considering them at the moment as they are very quiet (I've used them before) but don't move as much air as the antec tri-cool at full blast, only 58 cfm. Is it going to provide enough cooling?

Well I've only got the stock antec's (minus the HDD/PSU compartment fan) in set at the lowest speed, with Abit's FanEQ controlling the CPU fan (which is also stock), Ive not had any problems with temp so far. But then I'm not OC'ing the bejesus out of it :)

It's quiet enough as well, only thing I can hear is the quiet hum of air going through the case. That is apart from the bloody annoying racket the WD Raptor makes..lol, never noticed the HDD's before I built this machine the PSU was so loud... and it's getting on my t**s. Oh and the DVD drives make a racket too :rolleyes:

BTW temps are:
31C - CPU
32C - SYS
36C - PWM (whatever that is)

As measured by Abit's EQ with .17 Bios

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom