Antec P180 Owners Thread

Soldato
Just a comment on the sidepanels on the P180. I have built 4 systems for friends with this case, and the panels are exactly the same.

Associate
OP
Speed said:
Care to elaborate on that? As far as I can see the panels are identical so I'm wondering if you are basing that on experience with your case or something you read.

It's pretty easy to see which is which though; just look for the screw markings in the middle slot, which ever panel has the markings is the panel that doesn't use the thumbscrews (i.e the panel that doesn't allow access to the main internal sections, rear panel I call it.)
I can't remember now, I just remember putting the wrong one on the wrong side, and it wouldn't quite go. So I picked up the correct panel and it slotted in much easier.

Soldato
Jimbo said:
Can someone tell me if taking the bottom fan out and putting it in the front behind the hard disks will work?

The fan from the bottom chamber is one of the thicker ones (38mm??) and will nto fit there. One of the thinner 25mm fans will fit at the front of the upper chamber though and the mounting bracket needed for this is supplied.

What I'd do is move the 38mm fan to the top of the cae, and then use one of the 25mm fans from the top at the front.

I did this originally, however I found that it got my hdds in the bottom chamber too toasty, so then put the 25mm fan down there (which gives a bit mroe room for cabling etc than when using the 38.

Associate
Where have people mounted their HDD's?

I've got mine in the top chamber at the moment, does having them in the lower chamber make a significant difference?

Soldato
I mounted my 4 hdd's in the bottom as i did not went them increasing my system temps. Putting them in the back isolates them pretty much from the rest of the case, and I use the bottom case fan set on medium to cool them.

Has anyone noticed the odd buzzing noise from the top 120mm fan ?

Caporegime
Flanno said:
I mounted my 4 hdd's in the bottom as i did not went them increasing my system temps. Putting them in the back isolates them pretty much from the rest of the case, and I use the bottom case fan set on medium to cool them.

Yeah, I noticed rattling, seems more from the plastic vent that clips on top, so I just removed that and it was gone :)

Soldato
Flanno said:

I had that buzzing sound too, it was annoying me for ages.

From what I could tell it was one of the fan wires vibrating against the plastic casing of the fan underneath the silver sticker. I took the sticker off to try and fix this problem but with no luck.

I've replaced all the fans with Akasa 120mm fans now anyway :)

Associate
Hey guys,

I'm gonna buy this case (i didnt know whether to make a new thread or not)
But i've got a tagan 480w psu at the mo, it wont reach so i'm gonna flog it to a mate!

What psu's do you guys own and the cables are long enough to stretch to the top of the mobo?

Are the stock fans quiet enough to keep? I have a fan controller, will i not need it anymore?
Thanks for your replies!!
:D

Soldato
I have an enermax 600w noisetaker which has 22" long cables. It reaches with room to spare.

As for fans - I find the stock fans good enough. Regardless of spec they are plenty quiet on medium setting. I wouldn't bother with a fan controller. I did try my case with Akasa ambers, some Nexus fans, and even Acousti dusproof jobs (I have a fetish for collecting fans :), and I found the antec the best.

Associate
Flanno said:
I have an enermax 600w noisetaker which has 22" long cables.
I found the antec the best.

Thanks for the reply mate :)

Hmm i don't think i'll be needed 600watts of power! And its about £90, how much do the extension cables cost, i can only find 20 pin extension cables, and do they make 4 pin extension cables? Does anyone have the 480w version, can't find out cable length anywhere!

What other psu's fit the bill?

Associate
Awesome case, it's just what I'm looking for!

A few quick questions:
First off; what are the things circled in red and blue?

p180021xf.jpg

Secondly, does this case have a lock on the front? I can make out something shiny and round, but I'm not sure if that's just the power button.

Next, how hard/easy is it to get the side panel off, is it thumbscrews, and so on, as some cases can be a right bugger to open. :p

Finally, how many hard drives and disk drives can it hold in total?

Thanks

~Kev

Last edited:
Associate
has any 1 tried a

Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi
or
Abit AN8 SLi Fatal1ty nForce4 SLi

and how well does the power reach ?

im useing

Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU

thanks

Last edited:
Associate
dunny87 said:
has any 1 tried a

Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi
or
Abit AN8 SLi Fatal1ty nForce4 SLi

and how well does the power reach ?

im useing

Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU

thanks

I have the Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi board and the same PS -you will need an extension for the 4 pin connector!
Other than that the modular supply makes life much easier!

Soldato
FosterK said:
Awesome case, it's just what I'm looking for!

A few quick questions:
First off; what are the things circled in red and blue?

p180021xf.jpg

Secondly, does this case have a lock on the front? I can make out something shiny and round, but I'm not sure if that's just the power button.

Next, how hard/easy is it to get the side panel off, is it thumbscrews, and so on, as some cases can be a right bugger to open. :p

Finally, how many hard drives and disk drives can it hold in total?

Thanks

~Kev

Why not read some reviews? Most if not all of your questions would be answered. There are plenty about.

Associate
Short answers (couple have been answered already):

Red - Rails for the drives

Blue - VGA duct? Difficult to tell what you're highlighting but it its the big plastic duct that screws into the back then it's the VGA duct.

Yes on the lock

The left panel is thumbscrews, the right one normal screws.

Not a clue! There's 2 HDD enclosures, 6? 8? I've got 2 in the upper one and someone else here has 4 in the bottom one so at least 6!

Back
Top Bottom