Antec P180 Owners Thread

rel

rel

Associate
Last few questions guys before I set my choices in stone about my rig.

Anyone have any experience with the Scythe Ninja HSF and the p180? I know SPCR pretty much say it's the best HSF and further to that pretty much perfect for the case.

Can anyone confirm that the Seasonic 600W is easy to fit and doesn't require any case modification and that the leads are suffice size wise?

There's talk of the 120mm fans being too noisy, should I replace them with Asaka Ambers?

Cheers in advance,

Soldato
rel said:
Last few questions guys before I set my choices in stone about my rig.

Anyone have any experience with the Scythe Ninja HSF and the p180? I know SPCR pretty much say it's the best HSF and further to that pretty much perfect for the case.

Can anyone confirm that the Seasonic 600W is easy to fit and doesn't require any case modification and that the leads are suffice size wise?

There's talk of the 120mm fans being too noisy, should I replace them with Asaka Ambers?

Cheers in advance,

I'd actually suggest not using the Scythe Ninja HSF and stick to one of the 120mm Thermalright heatsinks. I have the SI-120, which is the newer, easier to install version and it is very, very good. The way I've come to think about HSF's for performance and quietness is to get a high performance 120mm heatsink along with a fan of your choice. That way even with minimal airflow it performs well.

With regards to fans, the ones installed in the P180 are not THAT quiet but they are better than many fans I've tried. The thicker (38mm?) of the fans that is installed in the power supply chamber (I've since moved it to the rear area) is the worst and from what I can tell is the nosiest thing in my rig atm. I suggest not using Asaka Ambers, from my experience (at least with the 80mm ones) they are not brilliant. The clear plastic material they are made of certainly doesn't help with how much noise they make. What you really want is fans made with the normal fan material that most (black) fans are made of. The difference is likely minimal but every little helps right!

I suggest going for the 120mm Orange Nexus fans, which are very quiet, but it does depend on how much airflow you need. Like all near silent fans they don't push much air, especially when undervolted. So it might be wise to purchase a fan controller, I've also looked into this however due to a lack of funds I have yet to purchase. Although the Sunbeam Rheobus 4 Channel Black fan controller would certainly be my choice for the P180.

Flanno - Can you drop me an e-mail, I could do with alittle more assistance with the door! Thanks!

Associate
as promised here's a pic of my p180 door after fixing the buckling.

p180%20door%201.jpg

as you can see the bottom sticks out slightly but it looks better than the door not shutting in the middle.

p180%20door%202.jpg

as you can see the door fits flush in the middle now.

Associate
cmsbfent said:
hey folks..

Anybody used this case for watercooling yet.

cheers

i'm just in the process of installing my h2o gear atm. here's some pics.

lower%20bay%20pump%20rad.jpg

this shows the lower bay after removal of the drive bay cage and slides as well as removing the centre fan and fan support.

side%20view.jpg

this is the complete side view.

Soldato
Am I the only one who thinks the lower chamber fan would have been so much better at the front of the case behind the drivebays, similar to how the front fan is in the top chamber?

That's give a lot more space for people like ironhorse who want to use the space for water cooling, and for the rest of us would make cable routing a hell of a lot easier. I just can;t understand the logic tha went behind this decision!

Soldato
ironhorse said:
as promised here's a pic of my p180 door after fixing the buckling.

p180%20door%201.jpg

as you can see the bottom sticks out slightly but it looks better than the door not shutting in the middle.

p180%20door%202.jpg

as you can see the door fits flush in the middle now.

Hi,

Any chance of an in-focus photo the same as the second picture you posted?

Thanks! :D

Mark

Soldato
Man im still in 2 minds about this case I would have clicked on the buy button but then I figured I wanted to keep the mainboard relativly cable free zone but I see the ps wires would have to cross all over the mainboard and thats not gonna like my 512meg GTX which is taking up 50% of my mainboard space as it is!

My original plan was to have a Silent box/1DVDRW on the top and thus no cable mess peroid but this p/s placement defeats my purpose+ I hear it takes a good 1-3hours of just cable management/tidying up due to its design.

Soldato
That's give a lot more space for people like ironhorse who want to use the space for water cooling, and for the rest of us would make cable routing a hell of a lot easier. I just can;t understand the logic tha went behind this decision!

I think the case is pretty much supposed to be used with a fanless power supply, so having the fan mounted in the middle gives it direct airflow.

rel

rel

Associate
Speed said:
I'd actually suggest not using the Scythe Ninja HSF and stick to one of the 120mm Thermalright heatsinks. I have the SI-120, which is the newer, easier to install version and it is very, very good. The way I've come to think about HSF's for performance and quietness is to get a high performance 120mm heatsink along with a fan of your choice. That way even with minimal airflow it performs well.

With regards to fans, the ones installed in the P180 are not THAT quiet but they are better than many fans I've tried. The thicker (38mm?) of the fans that is installed in the power supply chamber (I've since moved it to the rear area) is the worst and from what I can tell is the nosiest thing in my rig atm. I suggest not using Asaka Ambers, from my experience (at least with the 80mm ones) they are not brilliant. The clear plastic material they are made of certainly doesn't help with how much noise they make. What you really want is fans made with the normal fan material that most (black) fans are made of. The difference is likely minimal but every little helps right!

I suggest going for the 120mm Orange Nexus fans, which are very quiet, but it does depend on how much airflow you need. Like all near silent fans they don't push much air, especially when undervolted. So it might be wise to purchase a fan controller, I've also looked into this however due to a lack of funds I have yet to purchase. Although the Sunbeam Rheobus 4 Channel Black fan controller would certainly be my choice for the P180.

Flanno - Can you drop me an e-mail, I could do with alittle more assistance with the door! Thanks!

Cheers for the response Speed. Regarding the Scythe Ninja, you are able to attach a 120mm fan to it, and thus it makes it practically the same as the SI-120. What fans should I use? I've seen the YS-TECH 120mm from OCUK, are they viable? The fan you said that was noisy in the isolated PSU section, do you know the exact size so I can replace it on building to try and decrease the overall dB of the case.

Thanks,

Soldato
rel said:
Cheers for the response Speed. Regarding the Scythe Ninja, you are able to attach a 120mm fan to it, and thus it makes it practically the same as the SI-120. What fans should I use? I've seen the YS-TECH 120mm from OCUK, are they viable? The fan you said that was noisy in the isolated PSU section, do you know the exact size so I can replace it on building to try and decrease the overall dB of the case.

Thanks,

Hi,

I'm aware you can attach any 120mm fan to the Scythe Ninja, however Thermalright heatsinks are some of the highest performing on the market (if not the highest performing aircooling). They also work well with minimal airflow. I actually considered the Scythe Ninja when I was building my business rig, however I opted against it. This was because of two main factors, price and performance. Both the Thermalright SI-120 and Scythe Ninja are similarly priced, from the many reviews I've read the SI-120 performs better, so I went for that and it has turned out to be very good. So good infact I'm getting a second. You'll also find there is quite a fan base for Thermalright heatsinks, good for overclocking and silence due to the fact it is not supplied with a fan. This gives you the option of using either extremely high CFM 120mm fans or extremely quiet low CFM 120mm fans.

As for fans in the case, I suggested the 120mm Orange Nexus fans. YS-TECH's again seem to be very noisy, but it all depends on how well they work at lower voltages, certain fans work well at lower voltages and ramp down the RPM smoothly, other's don't. I can say that using a Zalman fan mate, the Nexus on my SI-120 does handle lower voltages well. Either would need a fan controller to vary the speed they spin at.

As for the nosiest fan in the Antec P180, it is a standard 120mm fan, just thicker. It's 38mm thick as apposed to the normal 25mm fans. You can however replace it with any 120mm fan.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

rel

rel

Associate
Speed said:
Hi,

I'm aware you can attach any 120mm fan to the Scythe Ninja, however Thermalright heatsinks are some of the highest performing on the market (if not the highest performing aircooling). They also work well with minimal airflow. I actually considered the Scythe Ninja when I was building my business rig, however I opted against it. This was because of two main factors, price and performance. Both the Thermalright SI-120 and Scythe Ninja are similarly priced, from the many reviews I've read the SI-120 performs better, so I went for that and it has turned out to be very good. So good infact I'm getting a second. You'll also find there is quite a fan base for Thermalright heatsinks, good for overclocking and silence due to the fact it is not supplied with a fan. This gives you the option of using either extremely high CFM 120mm fans or extremely quiet low CFM 120mm fans.

As for fans in the case, I suggested the 120mm Orange Nexus fans. YS-TECH's again seem to be very noisy, but it all depends on how well they work at lower voltages, certain fans work well at lower voltages and ramp down the RPM smoothly, other's don't. I can say that using a Zalman fan mate, the Nexus on my SI-120 does handle lower voltages well. Either would need a fan controller to vary the speed they spin at.

As for the nosiest fan in the Antec P180, it is a standard 120mm fan, just thicker. It's 38mm thick as apposed to the normal 25mm fans. You can however replace it with any 120mm fan.

Hope this helps!

Just to clarify, I'll need x2 of these Orange Nexus 120mm fans? One to attach to the SI-120(you've won me over) and one to replace the noisy fan in the bottom chamber of the p180?

The next thing I have to ask, without a fan controller, am I able to manipulate the fans RPM via the bios if they appear too loud?

Think I'm pretty much decided now after reading concisive reviews of the SI-120. Now all I'm unsure about really is the fans to use to maximise the efficiency of the airflow in the p180.

Thanks in advance,

Soldato
rel said:
Just to clarify, I'll need x2 of these Orange Nexus 120mm fans? One to attach to the SI-120(you've won me over) and one to replace the noisy fan in the bottom chamber of the p180?

The next thing I have to ask, without a fan controller, am I able to manipulate the fans RPM via the bios if they appear too loud?

Think I'm pretty much decided now after reading concisive reviews of the SI-120. Now all I'm unsure about really is the fans to use to maximise the efficiency of the airflow in the p180.

Thanks in advance,

Hi,

Well it's down to what you want really, if you are not using a passive power supply you can simply get rid of the fan in the lower chamber. It is very easy to remove once you know the knack.

As for the fans RPM, personally I don't connect fans to the motherboard, if you did then you should be able to. But it will depend on the motherboard itself.

What sort of spec system are you putting in this case?

rel

rel

Associate
Speed said:
Hi,

Well it's down to what you want really, if you are not using a passive power supply you can simply get rid of the fan in the lower chamber. It is very easy to remove once you know the knack.

As for the fans RPM, personally I don't connect fans to the motherboard, if you did then you should be able to. But it will depend on the motherboard itself.

What sort of spec system are you putting in this case?
AMD 64 4000+
SI-120 HSF
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR
Corsair 2gb pc3500 2-3-2-6
1x 10K/rpm Raptor
1x 7.2K/rpm Samsung Spinpoint
BFG 7800 GTX OC
Seasonic 600W S12-600
Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Soundcard

So basically I just need a decent fan choice for the SI-120.. I'll be connecting it directly to the motherboard unless the DFI comes with some sort of fan controller, I did read something about a FrontX?

I just want to try and get a neat, tidy and quiet case with decent airflow and thus decent temps.

Regards,

Soldato
I think that is a different issue entirely...that relates to doors some people got where the alum in the top or bottom edge was actually not clipped into the panel properly. This other issue is to do with the panel flexiing depending on temps, which results in a bulge when you close the door.

Soldato
rel said:
AMD 64 4000+
SI-120 HSF
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR
Corsair 2gb pc3500 2-3-2-6
1x 10K/rpm Raptor
1x 7.2K/rpm Samsung Spinpoint
BFG 7800 GTX OC
Seasonic 600W S12-600
Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Soundcard

So basically I just need a decent fan choice for the SI-120.. I'll be connecting it directly to the motherboard unless the DFI comes with some sort of fan controller, I did read something about a FrontX?

I just want to try and get a neat, tidy and quiet case with decent airflow and thus decent temps.

Regards,

Right well it's good you are using the SI-120, not sure how well the Ninja would cope with a 4000+. Not very well I would have thought. As for the fan, on the SI-120, you might want to try a different fan than the Nexus and ramp down the voltage using a fan mate or something. Just because you may need more airflow.

The only problem I see with your rig noise wise is the BFG 7800GTX OC, my BFG 7800GT OC is pretty bad. You thought about or are using an after market graphics card cooler?

Flanno said:
I think that is a different issue entirely...that relates to doors some people got where the alum in the top or bottom edge was actually not clipped into the panel properly. This other issue is to do with the panel flexiing depending on temps, which results in a bulge when you close the door.

I think you are right there, when I e-mailed them about it they offered me a replacement door, but I doubt that will sort it. At least it shows me how to take the door off, seeing as you didn't help me anymore Flanno! ;) :p

Last edited:

rel

rel

Associate
Speed said:
Right well it's good you are using the SI-120, not sure how well the Ninja would cope with a 4000+. Not very well I would have thought. As for the fan, on the SI-120, you might want to try a different fan than the Nexus and ramp down the voltage using a fan mate or something. Just because you may need more airflow.

The only problem I see with your rig noise wise is the BFG 7800GTX OC, my BFG 7800GT OC is pretty bad. You thought about or are using an after market graphics card cooler?

That graphics card is pretty much a must due to the system being aimed at performance gaming. I've not built a PC in around 3 years and still, my knowledge of "hands on" practical experience is limited and thus modding graphics cards/fans/cases is something I'm a little worried about. There's a lot of expensive components that I'm purchasing and without losing quality I'd like them to come together relatively easy. Any specific names of fans in mind for the SI-120?

Thanks for your help,

Back
Top Bottom