Antec P180 Owners Thread

Associate
I have yet to transplant my system over to this case but I did buy a nice shiny 580W Tagan PSU to go with this.

Unfortunately on offering up yesterday I can see that the Tagan must be slightly larger than standard as there is no way I can keep the bottom fan (PSU wires stick out too far) in the case, and the bracket that clamps over the PSU is too small for the Tagan :(

Associate
MrCake the bottom fan is only really needed for fanless PSUs such as the Antec Phantom. I would remove it - can't really see what good it will do for a fanned PSU as the fans will cool the PSU itself.

Associate
MrCake said:
I have yet to transplant my system over to this case but I did buy a nice shiny 580W Tagan PSU to go with this.

Unfortunately on offering up yesterday I can see that the Tagan must be slightly larger than standard as there is no way I can keep the bottom fan (PSU wires stick out too far) in the case, and the bracket that clamps over the PSU is too small for the Tagan :(

I found that with 3 harddrives in the bottem bay the fan on the PSU was running slightly faster than it used to.

The thick fan in the bottem of the case is by far the noisest so I replaced it with an Akasa Amber fan turned all the way down with a fanmate (effectively 5v). I removed the mounting bracket and attached it with rubber fan mounts. If you remove the plastic bracket and mount the fan that way you could put it on the other side of the division. This made the PSU fan run at it's inaudible lowest setting, made no audible difference and kept the HD's cooler.

If you only have one drive this is probably not worth it but it worked for me.

Some picks on this page

Associate
W00dy said:
MrCake the bottom fan is only really needed for fanless PSUs such as the Antec Phantom. I would remove it - can't really see what good it will do for a fanned PSU as the fans will cool the PSU itself.

I will be having 4 HDs in the bottom bay and was going to use the bottom fan to keep them nice and cool. Might have to see if I can use TMHatters idea and mount the fan the other side.

Associate
Just ordered my P180 (and an Antec Phantom 500w and Reserator1-Plus)... should have a nice cool and quiet setup :)

Currently have a rather noisey Asus Star Ice... so I'm gonna enjoy the silence!

Associate
I think i will be ordering this case!!

My akasa psu won't stretch far enought though... Has anyone tried it with a tagan 480w psu? On my abit board the 4pin connector is right on the top left so it will be a pretty long stretch! What do you guys think of the fans that come with it? They can't be controlled with a fan controller but are they loud?

thanks

Soldato
front1.jpg

Associate
thinking of changing from a stacker to this case before I undertake this transplant would my psu have enough cable distance Enermax Noisetaker 485W motherboard DFI ultra D 939.

Associate
thinking of changing from a stacker to this case before I undertake this transplant would my psu have enough cable distance Enermax Noisetaker 485W motherboard DFI ultra D 939.

My Enermax 485w to MSI Neo-4F works fine depends where your 4 pin 12v plug is on the DFI Ultra Board - my 4 pin plug is at the top edge of the board and it reaches without a problem

Soldato
Thinking about buying this from the sale.

Would a hiper type-r 480 4pin fit to an asus a8n sli-d?

From what I remember, the 4pin wire seems quite long (ish) but its routed into my case atm and I cba with taking it apart :p

Associate
Flanno said:
Am considering a P180. Really like the looks.

Just have 3 questions I was hoping one of you lucky oweners could answer me :

1. Is the graphics card ducting system rubbish like some reviews have said and will it fit an 80x80x25mm fan as I read somewhere it will only take a 20mm or less fan as standard 80mm interfere with some video cards.

thx

Associate
to answer flanno's first question, I have an asus A8N-SLI board and the grapics duct is not much use for the lower gpu.In fact it restricts the air flow on the lower card.not sure how you would be with other mobos where the SLI cards are closer together.Thinking of modding the duct to take a 120mm fan if poss,this should then cool both gpu's.The duct takes a 80mm fan but it has to be only 20mm thick.I dont have my duct in place at the mo, but the graphics seem pretty much OK without it.

Associate
PeterNem said:
As soon as anyone has tried a Hiper Type R 580watt modular PSU with this I'd like to know. They have a pretty short ATX 24pin cable and I'm not convinced it'd reach much!

Especially be interested in hearing if the hiper 24 pin ATX plug would reach the socket on an Epox EP-9NPA

I've got a Hiper Type R PSU and an abit KV7 mobo. I needed to use an extender for both ATX cables though could just about get the 20 pin connector in if it was'nt for the huge heatsink on my 6800 card.

Associate
Livestrong said:

It is possible to get hold of a 12 4pin extension cable. If you look in my pics this is what I used. I got it before I even got the case.

I think Antec should include a truepower PSU with long cables with the case for a little more dosh especially since it such a different design to normal cases

Soldato
skitr said:
I've got a Hiper Type R PSU and an abit KV7 mobo. I needed to use an extender for both ATX cables though could just about get the 20 pin connector in if it was'nt for the huge heatsink on my 6800 card.

Cheers for that mate. Such a shame Hiper didnt make the cables a bit longer, or that antec didn't realise ATX cable length would be a problem and bundle the extension cable with the case.

OcUK should look at getting these cables in stock and bundling them with the case for a few quid extra and i'm sure they'd sell more cases then what with the added peace of mind.

I've only found one UK retailer with the ATX extension thing in stock, and they want about £8 postage - bloody stupid being as the cable must weight nothing and is only about £3 itself - any chance of mailing me (in trust) with where you got yours from?

Back
Top Bottom