Antec P180 Owners Thread

Associate
24 pin extentions are available, google "atx adapter cable"
Instead of modding my gpu tunnel(earlier post),I opted for two arctic coolers for my vga cards Got about 10degree drop on both cards at idle.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did the changeover today, and I am seriously impressed.

I have a Globe 120mm as rear fan, panaflo 92mm on my SP97, tricool jobby on the top blow-hole but set to low and a panaflo 120x38mm in the psu chamber.

These are hooked up to my fan controller, Globe, Panaflo, and the tricool/38m panaflo are linked on my 3rd dial.

I have clocked my cpu 300mhz higher, and with everything on low, I get the same temps whilst playing WoW as I did when I was just idling in my sonata at 300mhz slower, AND this is now virtually inaudible!!

If I turn all the fans to full and run prime+cpuburn+toast, it tops out at 47ºC, AND is still MUCH quieter than my sonata was with fans at full, which gave me around 57ºC.

The case even matches my phone :D
p180.jpg

Here's a short videoclip to give you an idea between it on the quietest setting to full:
http://www.kr00t0n.com/p180.wmv

Way to go Antec :)

Associate
jonph said:
24 pin extentions are available, google "atx adapter cable"
Instead of modding my gpu tunnel(earlier post),I opted for two arctic coolers for my vga cards Got about 10degree drop on both cards at idle.

hmm ive found lots of 20pin to 24pin but no 24pin to 24pin, just keep looking i guess

Associate
:) Hey folks, I got mine on Friday and finished putting things in yesterday. I like to have regular breaks, all the bending and body twisting to get things in, can be back breaking. Build on a wooden top with plenty padding to stop any scratches. Excellent case, but I found my OCZ Powerstream a wee bit tight with the mass of shielded cables. I decided to put me HDD's in the middle drive cage, so not a problem so far, but I'll probably remove the fan on the base to gain access and have space for the drive cables. Almost screwed up the floppy drive though, or more to the point the drive rails. Started using them on the DVD, luckily I realised it was too much of a tight fit (remember kids always RTFM!! ;) ). Anyhows back to work tomorrow so I'll tinker and tweak once I get WinXP up and running. :confused:

Associate
Finally completed mine over the weekend and while im a very happy bunny now that its complete, there was more than usual swearing during the build.

One of my first issues was when one of Antecs engineers thinking "I know lets not stick to the usual screw in copper motherboard mount idea and already affix some that are rounded and cannot be removed". Unfortunately my XP90 heatsink meant the baseplate at the bottom touched one of these fixed mounts and put a nice bend in the board if I had screwed it in. I rtfm'd several times but saw no mention of removing the pegs so out game some big pliers and after some more swearing managed to rip the thing out.

After that things went fairly with no 24 pin / p4 length issues, but my 580W Tagan is too big for the metal wrap so just screwed it into the back.

I also disliked how close to the bottom my motherboard was making it tricky to plug in all the power/hd light/etc leads.

Now that the job is done im happy as larry and the case not only looks very sexy, it also does a great job of cooling a pc that has 5 hds in it chucking out heat.

I have built many pcs and while im happy with the finished product, I have never taken so long to do a build! It would not suprise me one bit if in the next few months we see an Antec P180v2 to fix all the issues people will have with this case.

Associate
Unfortunately my XP90 heatsink meant the baseplate at the bottom touched one of these fixed mounts and put a nice bend in the board if I had screwed it in. I rtfm'd several times but saw no mention of removing the pegs so out game some big pliers and after some more swearing managed to rip the thing out.

Which motherboard do you have mate? Seems strange that the XP90 messes around with the standoffs ?

I have an XP90 on MSI Neo4 and have no such problems ?

Associate
Well, I picked up my shiny new P180 on Saturday then spent an hour or so doing the changeover. Not too painful to be honest, my previous case was an enormous chieftec dragon, that turned upside down would have a similar layout!

Will post pictures tonight, but the cabling is a bit of a nightmare at the moment! I’m waiting on a seasonic psu so there is just the old chieftec psu in there at the moment. Currently running an x2400 (at 3200 speed), 1gig ram, aero7 lite cooler, 2 dvd drivers, 2 hard drives (1 standard old Maxtor, 1 SATA Spinpoint). Currently trying to narrow down where the painful whine is still coming from, but overall the noise is a lot lower, and it looks awesome!

Plus points:

- You can feel the quality*, the sides feel “dense” (if you know what I mean) and I prefer the silver and black to the pure black one which is also coming out. Everything slides in and out of position very satisfyingly...

- Excellent hard drive cages, love the rings for pulling them out that have snap in holders! Nice rubber rails for them as well...

- The case fans seem quiet, I’ve only got the back and top one running on the lowest speed, temps are similar to the dragon, possibly a bit lower for the system.

- Looks fantastic

Minus points:

- Manual isn’t great, perfectly functional but would really benefit from some diagrams and a list of what you should have in the box (took me quite a while to find all the screws! – Remember! On the back of the upper drive cage!)

- Front door feels very flimsy, well, not the door itself but the hinges and the little magnet to hold it in. Would have been better with a simple clip like on the dragon.

Like I say though, overall very impressed with it, and will update with pictures later and update (when I get my new psu) on the noise situation as well…

Associate
got mine today along with a DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR and Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU

the 24pin cable just reaches and as of yet i aint tryed pluging anything else in just the psu and mainboard.

user manual could have been a lot better and there could have been more info on the screws and which ones to use for different jobs

Associate
dunny87 said:
got mine today along with a DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR and Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU

the 24pin cable just reaches and as of yet i aint tryed pluging anything else in just the psu and mainboard.

That's interesting. I wasn't going to get the Hiper as I thought the cables wouldn't reach. I presume if the main power cable reaches then the 12V one will too as the sockets are right next to each other. Is there any problem with a graphics card getting in the way? Did you have to remove the lower chamber fan to fit the PSU in?

Andrew

Associate
i could have just about got past it but i have taken it out i think im going to add one in the lower front to cool the hard drives when i get them,

i have just tested the 12v 4pin and it easiy reaches.

Associate
First up was my Chieftec Dragon. Note the hapahazard cables - we'll be seeing those again shortly!

Then we have the nice new P180, whistle clean (won't last long!)

Associate
Halfway through, had to stop for a rest and a cup of tea!

And finally, after an hour and a bit:

Note the woeful cabling, something of a trademark of mine!...Honestly just waiting on a new PSU to tidy it up!

Associate
STILL not found time to transplant mine yet (looks forlornley at the box filling most of the room) :(,

Mind you I'm changing the stock CPU cooler so I'll wait for delivery and do it at the same time, hopefully this week. :)

Bit worried about cable lengths still, though not as much now I've seen a few peeps' builds.

Back
Top Bottom