Anthem 2018

Soldato
How does the open world work? I dont want to be forced into a fire team of randoms. Can I select missions and do them on my own like free roam in Destiny?

The game matchmakes you with 3 others in freeplay for a total of four, you can then completely ignore them and do whatever you want. Missions can be set to private so it's just you and whomever you invite.

Missions are selected from the expedition option when in either the fort or launch bay, you can't select them from freeplay.

Last edited:
Soldato
Played more tonight, item level 424 now but struggling to do strongholds on Grandmaster difficulty as it just doesn't matchmake very often.. just end up solo. Maybe there's not many people doing that yet but doing them on hard you get a bunch of under levelled/bad geared people doing them and dying every 2 seconds.

This game is a good example of not listening to reviews, the game is great and the open world is very big and very impressive.

V F

V F

Soldato
Well in TCTD all you really need to do is hold your cursor over the enemies (they are pretty slow, as are you), and the weapon stats do most of the decision-making as to what hits and what damage is inflicted. You're playing a game of stats draining shield/health bars.

Destiny you are super mobile and landing hits it mostly down to your ability to aim. If you can aim at crit spots stuff dies very fast, even with junk weapons. It's a 'proper shooter'. It's all about movement and aim.

Anthem superficially looks like like Destiny, but it plays more like TCTD. You're flying around and mobile, but killing enemies is about having decent enough weapons and abilities to drain their shield and health bars quickly, rather than outright aim skill.

Not saying either way is better, just different gameplay.

That is my only gripe with this so far. I seriously despise auto aim.

Pffft, don't care what the reviews say, I'm enjoying it and so are my friends, how long that lasts is another matter.

Totally agree, really enjoying :)

Also enjoying it, as I'm playing it in private mode so far.

The game matchmakes you with 3 others in freeplay for a total of four, you can then completely ignore them and do whatever you want. Missions can be set to private so it's just you and whomever you invite.

Missions are selected from the expedition option when in either the fort or launch bay, you can't select them from freeplay.

@BuffetSlayer turn on private mode switch.

Associate
I get the impression all the reviews are basing it on the fact that it's an EA game so it's getting slated for the smallest of things. I've really been enjoying it so far - looks great and plays great on the Xbox One X!

Soldato
I think most sum it up as enjoyable for a while but ultimately average. Mixed reviews aren't necessarily a bad thing if you're into the genre. Based on what I've read it's mostly a 7/10 game and there's never been anything wrong with that. I may pick it up later as I love the look of it and setting - I am a sucker for this kind of sci-fi so for that I think that I might enjoy it.

Soldato
People these days are too desensitised to scores. If it's below an 8/10 it's rubbish despite a 5/10 being middle of the road average. I'd say being around a 7 is a good score. I played the trial and enjoyed it, I'll grab it but only when it goes on sale as I've been bitten by Destiny and the Division so know these things get better with age.

Soldato
I've played about 3 hours of it and I'm kinda bored already, wheres the stats and leveling up for your javelin? There is none. well, it may be there but its not interactive.

It looks great and the abilities are really cool, but they forgot about actual game play.

Soldato
It looks great and the abilities are really cool, but they forgot about actual gameplay.
I don't think that's quite right. The core gameplay is actually pretty good. As you say the abilities are cool, the controls are good, gunplay feels solid and it looks great. What it appears to lack is longevity either through diversity of activities, progression of item perfection or PvP. These have been the 3 primary ways you keep a player base coming back and Anthem appears weak on all 3. That said, I got it on a deal and don't regret the price I paid, I'll probably trade it in for Division 2 if I've exhausted it by then.

V F

V F

Soldato
The Bioware intro as Ranger turns around, did anyone get memories of Crysis on that scene? As well as the trailer that sounds like Prophet speaking...

Associate
I don't think that's quite right. The core gameplay is actually pretty good. As you say the abilities are cool, the controls are good, gunplay feels solid and it looks great. What it appears to lack is longevity either through diversity of activities, progression of item perfection or PvP. These have been the 3 primary ways you keep a player base coming back and Anthem appears weak on all 3. That said, I got it on a deal and don't regret the price I paid, I'll probably trade it in for Division 2 if I've exhausted it by then.

I think we both got the same deal! I'm also swapping for Division 2 as I only have time for one looter shooter at a time.

V F

V F

Soldato
I think it's overheating some systems

I guess it does make sense. Thermal protection kicking in during files being written. Though, hmm...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ax246k/psa_to_playstation_anthem_players/

HarleyQuinn_RS said:
My PS4 just hard shutdown while playing Anthem, then I saw this post. It then had issues restarting. It'd come on briefly then shutdown a couple times.
I was alone, in a dungeon in freeplay when the game froze then the PS4 shutdown. Before anyone says, this is not a heat problem (at least in my case). Shutdowns due to heat have their own specific error code.
Also, my PS4 is 'somewhat' modded for extra cooling. I've re-applied Thermal Paste to the APU. Applied Thermal Pads to the Memory Chips. Have a custom top shell for extra ventilation and a small fan blowing over the chip.

I got System Software Error CE-36329-3 when my PS4 finally turned back on. It did a System Storage check and then gave me an error code, then afterwards repaired my SSD because "it was unplugged improperly". I've never had this sort of issue in any game I've played, never had a game shutdown my PS4, never had a system software error, nothing like that.

Edit: Confirmed by myself, my brother and another person in the comments, this can also occur if you shutdown your Console while Anthem is still running. After doing so, sometimes when you try to turn your Console back on, it will not respond to 'controller-input' power on. Then when touching the power button, it will have the same power cycling issue and subsequent system check and error message.

Hmm...

HarleyQuinn_RS said:
Yeah, I've had this happen too. I shut my PS4 down while on Anthem. Then when I pressed the PS button on my controller to turn it on hours later, my PS4 didn't boot. I had to touch the power button, which then caused a power cycle (came on briefly, then shutdown), to then turn it on again, and got greeted to the system check and subsequent error code.

Who shuts down a console while in a game? Many games specifically tells you on intro's not to shutdown the console while it saves/writes data. Any sane person runs a game, exits the games, lets the console cool down for 10 - 20 minutes on its dashboard then switches it off. Same goes for PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never waited 10-20 minutes I just hit the PS button and immediately set it to rest mode. Always have. That's what auto resume is for, isn't it? I never close applications.

I would probably close the application if I was turning it off completely (or hmm not sure if I would!). But I can't remember the last time I shut it down completely.

Soldato
Any sane person runs a game, exits the games, lets the console cool down for 10 - 20 minutes on its dashboard then switches it off. Same goes for PC.

I do the first two (unless I want to resume the game where I left off, in which case I just pause it and put it to sleep), but there's no need to let it cool down for 20 minutes! Rest mode will keep the fan running for a minute or two if it's still hot anyway.

Caporegime
Any sane person runs a game, exits the games, lets the console cool down for 10 - 20 minutes on its dashboard then switches it off. Same goes for PC.

2qarc0o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom