AntiVirus options today

Soldato
I currently use NOD32 on my main PC
I use Avast on my others, but I have also gone back to AVG on one of the others to see how I feel about that. Time will of course tell.

I like NOD32 because I feel that this is the best A/V that there is without a doubt. Im willing to listen to arguements against it, but it does NOT slow my machine down in the slightest, and in Silent mode, it really does STFU, and I like that.

AVG and Avast do have a silent option, but they are still not completely silent.

Anyway... I am wondering what other options there are out there for me to try out... I have of course tried a few others, and some I kind of like and others I dont at all, for various reasons, but what do you lot use, and why?

Capodecina
Soldato
You can evaluate Kaspersky free for 30 days. However, I find it intrusive and it does seem to slow down the system. I believe that most tests show Kaspersky as being the best.

Why are you thinking of alternatives to NOD32 if you like it?

Soldato
Wasn't Kaspersky in trouble recently for doing something dodgy? Seems to ring a bell...

I have used NOD32 for years and never had a problem, so the way I see it is that if it works why change it?

Be prepared for a million 'experts' coming into the thread telling you that only 'noobs' need an AV, as that's what normally happens with these threads. :p

Associate
On windows PC just use the built in AV or older windows then MS security essentials.

Other OS`s have never bothered with AV software.
This is the same for me. I have paid for AV in the past. I have also run both AVG and Avast across multiple systems. They both became intrusive, caused slowdowns and in the cause of Avast actualy borked my PC with a failed/partial update.
They never ever found anything dodgy other than the occasional set of java files / cookies that were not actualy viruses.

So now I just use MSE (win 7).

As someone else said above though. If you have a package you pay for, it works for you and your happy with it. Dont change.
A free AV solution that has a paid for option is never going to be nagfree. Business just doesnt work that way.

Soldato
After problems with various other AV products over time I just use Windows defender now. My only use is gaming and safe websites rather than “artistic” websites, so no real need for anything else.

Associate
Kaspersky generally scores well on sites like AVComparatives and if anything is a little overzealous in it's detection. I've been happy with it's performance and customisability, so whilst I've considered the light eset Nod32, I still intend to renew despite the recent spying concerns.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, sorry guys, I should have been more clear...

My main PC used NOD32 and I love it and I have no intention of changing it. NONE.

But....

I also own a fair few PCs and Im only looking at FREE options for the OTHER PCs and yes, I am finding both AVG and AVAST to be a little bit bulky, and intrusive.

So, I was kind of thinking more slimmed down and free. Having NOD32 on all my PCs, especially as they are mine and I only ever use one at a time ( Well, most of the time ) I find the idea of spending hundreds of pounds just on a PC that I may power on for 10 minutes at a time, purely cos Im an idiot, a bit unjustifiable!

Kaspersky can go to hell as far as I am converned. I always have, and always will avoid ANY software that tried to demand that I use it.

This is the very reason that I will NEVER knowingly or willingly ever use GOOGLE browser... Everywhere I turn, I have some program asking me if I also want to install google browser, or search bar, or whatever... The moment AVAST did that, I knew that Avast and I were about to part our ways.

NOD32 has NEVER done any such thing to me and so for that, I am now in my 11th year of being a very happy customer...

Soldato
I like NOD32 because I feel that this is the best A/V that there is without a doubt. Im willing to listen to arguements against it, but it does NOT slow my machine down in the slightest, and in Silent mode, it really does STFU, and I like that.
AVG and Avast do have a silent option, but they are still not completely silent.
The moment AVAST did that, I knew that Avast and I were about to part our ways.

you need to invest some time in avast setup and disable the adware but once you have done that it is fine - no toolbars or noise !,
and lower cpu/memory resource than avira anyway
40446636141_e5c2887240_o_d.jpg

I don't see any point in paying for them yet (other than personal data they might harvest .. thankfully some subscibers subsidise my use), I could be pursuaded for app whitelist and anti-ransomware functionality.

Soldato
Best free anti virus I've used is bit defender free edition. Still using it . No problems whatsoever

Yep it's pretty good, I actually went from that(free version) to Bitdefender Total Security 2018 until my sub expired, currently using Avast Premier 2018 which I got a good deal on for a few years, latest version they have reduced the resources so even lighter then before, good thing is the free edition is also lighter then before.

Anyway pretty impressed with it so far, paid/sub version is silent.

Btw Avast owns AVG.

AVs can really be divided into two types ie free version or paid/sub type. :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom