Any 17/18 year olds here which drive?

Associate
I'm on track to hopefully pass in the next few weeks but the insurance premiums are through the roof these days so I don't think I'll be able to afford it (a car is not a problem, plenty of 2005ish corsa's going for under a grand)

Any tips on what insurance to get a quote from or any way to reduce the premium? Thank you

Associate
tough times nowadays for a new drivers financially. My first insurance premium was £2200 4 years ago and even then I was 19. car itself only cost me £500! I still cry when I think about it.

Soldato
Try adding a parent as a named driver, that can bring it down a bit. Parking on the road instead of drive can also sometimes reduce it, and fully comp is often cheaper than third party.

Soldato
Try as others have said, you might see a small drop which makes it just about afordable. Do these companies with the black boxes not give you a better deal?

The quickest way to get sensible quotes is I'm affraid building up some NCB. We have all gone through this pain at some point. Mine was £1200 ten years ago.

Caporegime
I've never heard of the road being cheaper.

I have with garage vs drive since you get accidents where wing mirrors get clipped and panels scraped squeezing it into a garage.

But road cheaper seems very illogical

Associate
I'm 18 and my car insurance for my first year was £1,100. I was 17 at the time. Went with Tesco's Bank Box. The Box is farely relaxed considering I topped out my 1.2L clio on the Motorway and didn't get any speed warnings :p It's worth it for the first year in my opinion. Price goes down a lot after that.

Soldato
I've never heard of the road being cheaper.

I have with garage vs drive since you get accidents where wing mirrors get clipped and panels scraped squeezing it into a garage.

But road cheaper seems very illogical

Next time you need a quote give it try mate, I am not sure if it will depend on what area you live in or something, but when I tried it on the comparison sites it was consistently cheaper for most providers to be parked on the road.

Makes no sense to me either! :confused:

Associate
Just checked out on a comparison website and my renewal price dropped £35 (edit - 8%!!) by saying it was parked on a 'public road' instead of 'driveway' overnight.

Baffling. Anyway, looks like I'm going to park it on the road this year then ;)

Associate
As an extra note for cheaper insurance. Mileage can make a huge difference to the price. 6,000 miles a year is the sweet spot at our age OP. Anything more and the price can be stupid and any lower and you'll probably easily go over your mileage. All depends on you really though.

Back
Top Bottom