Any 17/18 year olds here which drive?

Associate
My insurance is through a brokers, me and the lad on the phone added up my miles of just getting to work and back, it was 5640 miles a year , on the website i had put down 5000 miles , he recommended 7000 and the price dropped.

Don't know why lol

Soldato
The driveway/road comparison is that if you park on the drive sometimes thieves break into houses to nick keys to steal the car.

Something to do with if you parked on the road it isn't always easily identifiable which house would have the keys for the car your looking to nick.

A friend of mine had his wifes focus broke into so they could roll it off the drive to break into the garage to nick his porsche, he thought she was joking when she shouted to him in the morning that her car was sat in the house across front garden :-0

Associate
Parking on the road is usually cheaper because would be thieves don't know what house to break into to steal your keys which are likely situated near the front door. If you're parked in the drive then you 100% live there and they know the keys are in that house.

Associate
Adding just 1 named driver who's over 30 is the best for my insurance. In your first year it does make a massive difference. Only knocked off like £40 in my second year.

Soldato
I've never heard of the road being cheaper.

I have with garage vs drive since you get accidents where wing mirrors get clipped and panels scraped squeezing it into a garage.

But road cheaper seems very illogical

Road is less concealed for potential theft, not likely to hit your own gate reversing in, doesn't pin your car to a house for key theft etc.

Soldato
tough times nowadays for a new drivers financially. My first insurance premium was £2200 4 years ago and even then I was 19. car itself only cost me £500! I still cry when I think about it.

is this why I don't see any of the boy racers anymore :confused:

back when I was 18, boy racers were everywhere, hundreds of them with the corsas running 22" alloys and 10" exhausts. There are literally zero in my city now...which is a good thing :p

Associate
Road is less concealed for potential theft, not likely to hit your own gate reversing in, doesn't pin your car to a house for key theft etc.

Yeah I would say key theft is the big reason, modern cars are harder to steal so I bet a high % of thefts are house break ins where they steal the key and take the car off the drive

Soldato
talking of mileage , I up mine from 5000 to 7000 and it drop £20 explain that one ?

The less miles you drive in a year, the more prone you are to an accident. There will be a break-even point where the more miles you do, the same is true. I'm guessing that point is closer to 7k than 5k.

Biggest influence on insurance price in my experience is postcode above all else. When I moved down south for uni, my premiums more than halved.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'm 18, not long till 19.

First of all, do you really need a car? I didn't really need a car, I'll get one when over 20 as the premium drops by £700.

I recommend using confused as comparison site, have blackbox (its not that bad, but do read the policy!), don't add parents as it usually increases the premium for some strange reasons, check each car by reg sometimes the premium is £300 more even though its exactly the same car. But just do a quick search by my nickname (IC3) for threads here and you'll find answers to your questions as I asked all this before. GL ;)

Edit

BTW My insurance for a 125 is £300 compared to 800-1200 for 1.2 corsa and £1650 for Honda Civic 1.6 :p

Last edited:
Associate
I went with DirectLine and got their telematics box to monitor my driving, was £1100 for year 1. Got it removed on my yearly renewal and was £675. That's with a non-fault accident; the box actually helped my case as I could prove I wasn't speeding onto a roundabout.

Soldato
When i started driving i was put on parents policy as a named driver on direct line

After a year i moved that over to my now wifes policy as a named driver and drove her ar abit.

Then i stuck with directline because the use the named driver no claims as the main no claims on my own policy. so i have 5 years NCD when i started my own on my own car ;)

Back
Top Bottom