Any 74 plate car (maybe Lexus) owners? Speed limit warning

It's a 'safety feature' added to most new cars now. From what i am reading you can't disable it even using special tools.

However, on my Skoda, each time you start, i press the steering wheel icon > auto opens the safety feature menu > press the silver scroll wheel which disables the limiter > scroll down one click > press the silver scroll wheel again which disables the lane assist > press the steering wheel icon again and i'm back to the normal dash display.

This has to be done each time i start the car, but takes less than 5 secs.

Waze does that to me when i am using it. I could turn it off but actually I find it useful so I left it on. If I am dedicated not to stick to it, i will purposely ignore it. It only makes a noise when you go over, so if you stay above the limit, it doesn’t make the noise again.

It makes a sound if the car thinks you’re going over the limit.

That’s the problem. Cars are, in my experience, stupid.

Recently had a 24 plate BMW as a loan car, which would bong repeatedly if you exceed the speed limit by 1mph. Fine when it’s accurate. Problem is that it wasn’t always accurate.

The car couldn’t always distinguish between a single carriageway NSL and dual carriageway NSL. So as you go from SC NSL to DC NSL it would start bonging at you

Or if, on a 40+ road you go past a 30 road, it would typically pick up that speed limit sign, and start bonging at you.

Easy to turn it off on the BMW though

Do these go off based on your actual speed or the indicated speed on the dash? Or is up to 10% over read on the speedometer not a thing anymore?
Cars these days seem to be pretty bang on comparing indicated to GPS/speed signs. Generally within 1mph.

noticed with my aunts BMW that even if it's not you can +/- the speedo to align it anyway, guess there had to be some upside to everything being done on digital displays now.

Back
Top Bottom