Any C# programmers here?

Associate
OP
Been doing quite a bit of reading about this since you told me it was in RC stage and apparently it is due to be released on the 10th of November 2020. I'm going to hold off installing anything until that point. I have enough on my plate as it is anyway so waiting for a month or so won't be hard.
What do you see as the main advantages of .Net 5?

Soldato
What do you see as the main advantages of .Net 5?

I run Linux on my desktop and laptop but I also have a Windows 10 Pro virtual machine if I need anything in the Windows world (apart from gaming obviously). Having .NET 5 bringing together the Windows version of .NET and the Linux .NET Core will enable me to make tools for all of the major operating systems with a single code base rather than having a Windows code base and then a .NET Core code base. Plus things will get even better when Powershell Core does the same with Windows Powershell as I'll then be able to do certain administrative tasks for my Microsoft 365 tenents from Linux rather than having to boot my Windows virtual machine.

It isn't going to change an awful lot. My main programming languages are still JavaScript, C++ and Python but having C# be a viable option for cross platform development is always welcome.

Soldato
Have you tried the Windows Subsystem for Linux? Is it useful for cross platform work?

Yes. I have tried it. It is certainly an improvement on stock Windows 10 but it isn't really an option for cross-platform development as you can't really expect end-users to install it just to use your application. At the moment the best choice is C++ (or Rust or Go but I don't use them) for me. When .NET 5 comes out C# will become another option that I would have to seriously consider.

Associate
I’ve been a front end dev for quite awhile mainly just working with HTML and CSS. I’m quite interested in delving into C#, most of our applications are MVC and Web Forms. Any recommendations for learning?

Associate
I’ve been a front end dev for quite awhile mainly just working with HTML and CSS. I’m quite interested in delving into C#, most of our applications are MVC and Web Forms. Any recommendations for learning?

Pluralsight.

Stay away from the WebForms if you can... it’s just nasty! :D MVC is much cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom