• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Any coil whine on your 1080 or 1070?

Do you have any coil whine on your 1080 or 1070?

• Yes

Votes: 76 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 158 67.5%

• Total voters
I have small to medium whine on my Asus Strix 1080, but only when the frame rate goes bat**** high like 2000fps in 3DMark. Are you asking about noise in normal gaming, i.e. <200fps? because if so, my card is fine. I certainly haven't thought about returning it.

PSU is Corsair RM1000 and my old 295X2 had no audible coil whine.

I never know when people refer to coil whine if they're just talking about coil whine at very high fps, or all the time.

Last edited:
Both my 1080s do. My Ti's did aswell. Not too bad in games, worse in scenarios like Firestrike that push the power right up.

Luckily it doesn't bother me as I can't hear it with headphones on while gaming. Can't really hear it with the door on anyway.

Literally sounds like a steam engine at 30fps in Firestrike 4K with the door off though.

my titan x had mad coilwhine, the 1070 FE I had also screamed, hence me voting yes

this 1080 FE has barely none at all , my case is open air so I can hear things easily

MSI 1080

No coil whine but noise can be heard when ultra high settings with v-sync off during benchmarking. However after about 30 seconds it disappears. At ultra quality with v-sync off, runs quiet as a mouse

40% chance of coil whine? D:

...****, I just ordered a QHD screen that's gonna need a new GPU :(

*edit* It's not sweary when it's got an e in it, surely? :/

Last edited:
Quite surprised at the number with coil whine in truth. I hope you guys returned them, as no way would I put up with it.

Know your meaning well but these polls unfortunately are flawed and wide open to false voting.

You'd probably get a better indication if you count up the actual results posted in the thread greg, I reckon all the figment cards scream like a banshee.

Vice versa.

None on my G1.

But again it's's a combination of PSU, GPU and potentially Mobo that can cause it. And quality of PSU isn't always a factor, some are just going to happen to resonate at the same frequency as the GPU.

Would you return a card with any whine, or just whine in normal gaming?

If I could hear it and it doesn't stop. I have had many many GPUs and the only time I did hear some coil whine was when I put waterblocks on my MSI 680 Lightnings but after putting them through some punishing bench tests, it went.

No coil whine on my GLH, used to get it very rarely on my MSI GTX 970. Actually only 2 places spring to mind. The menu screen for TW3 and the credits page when exiting Heaven but since installing the 1080, nothing!

Antec HCG900 PSU

Back
Top Bottom