Any decent composite door manufacturers?

Associate
I've been looking at replacing our 25+ year old uPVC door for a few years now, primarily because it looks rubbish and the heat appears to vanish through it with ease (although seals tight, it seems to just have a bit of polystyrene inside it...). I wish I'd never started looking as it seems loads of people have had issues with all the door places I've been looking at..Rockdoor/endurance and Solidor all have reports of warping or cracking etc which scares me considering how much these things cost...

Has anyone heard of 'Ultimate' composite doors? They seem to be a foam/wood mix and price seems ok but can't seem to find much in the way of reviews. They are used by my local glazing firm, quote is for £2k with sidelight and fancy handles.

Same thing from Solidor was £3k with just a fairly standard door and side window, and Endurance quote came in at £2.4k.

I've hopefully got a quote from Rockdoor coming but I must admit between the cost and concern that it's going to crack on me I am wondering if it's worth the cost and effort!

Sgarrista
Commissario
Have an https://endurancedoors.co.uk/ myself.

Been in for a long time now and zero issues. As with most composite doors the security will come down to the same common factors, most importantly make sure your installer has a great reputation so you can be given the right advice and you know the installation wont be the weak point of the door.

Soldato
Have an https://endurancedoors.co.uk/ myself.

Been in for a long time now and zero issues. As with most composite doors the security will come down to the same common factors, most importantly make sure your installer has a great reputation so you can be given the right advice and you know the installation wont be the weak point of the door.
Snap, just had 2 of these fitted. Check my hall/front door thread. I am totally over the moon with their quality and thermal performance.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks guys, I've been looking about a lot am am currently between an endurance door and the local glazing firms 'Ultimate collection' composite doors, there is about £400 difference (endurance cost more)..

Sgarrista
Commissario
Ok thanks guys, I've been looking about a lot am am currently between an endurance door and the local glazing firms 'Ultimate collection' composite doors, there is about £400 difference (endurance cost more)..

The thing that sends alarm bells on these ultimate collection doors is I cant seem to spot what the construction is made of?

If its just foam and plastic composite then its pointless changing from what you currently have, Endurance for example the core is made of multiple layers of laminated timber, yes it adds to the cost but also gives insane strength.

Id personally say bite the bullet and go with the Endurance.

Associate
OP
Apparently it's a hybrid mix of foam and wood, in an attempt to give benefits of both - the brochure has a cutaway section with the details and I can kind of see the idea...

Associate
I've got a Solidor front door, with a car key like key for the lock. A vast improvement on my UPVC that was there when we bought it. Don't think the local company i used was anywhere near the prices above though.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
We went for a Solidor but supplied through an independent fitter which came in about £1k cheaper than direct from Solidor, currently going through the process of getting it replaced as its got a 7-10mm warp in the door :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Thanks, I'm still getting a few more quotes just to see what my options are. I'll be honest though I'm a bit put off of any doors solely using wooden cores, I am hearing a lot of issues with warping etc in more recently manufactured ones. I think I might be going more towards a hybrid version which uses wood and foam, is 70mm thick double rebated, but looks like I'll pay for it as is nearer £3.5k.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have a look at an Accoya door made by a carpenter.

Depending on the house age it might be more appropriate asthetically.

You’ll get whatever design you want.. cost will be at the top end of what you’ve been quoted there.

Associate
Rockdoor all day. They’ve had issues, but have a great relationship with them and things get sorted without question. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for others.

Just make sure whatever you do you get a long term, reliable supplier, as the guarantee lies with the supplier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom