Any good nutrition books?

Soldato
Hi

I'm not going to post a sob story but I have reached a cliff, I'm huge I can't see my feet any more, huge back pain, etc.

I need to sort myself out, but while I start weight loss and exercise can any one recommend a nutrition book that explains what a normal human male should be eating?

Man of Honour
Trouble is you are unlikely to be normal now, you will almost certainly be insulin resistance. Now you can, and people do lose weight via pretty much any method.
I would suggest going and seeing if your gp will give you a full cholesterol test as well as a Kraft glucose test(rather than fasting or normal glucose test). All I can say is my experience of GP has been less than usefull.
if you have poor insulin response or high triglycerides a low carb or even extremely low carb depending on how resistant you are diet can be extremely beneficial.
low carb down under has some great videos and if you are lucky you might even have a decent GP near you.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=low+carb+down+under

Associate
If I were youy I'd just go to slimming world. I know loads of people who have, without much effort, dropped enormous amounts of fat.

My wife does this and finds that she gets to get plenty of healthy food and doesn't feel that she's missing out on food. If you can get past being one of the few males there, follow the eating guidelines and engage with the system, you'll meet your goals.

Soldato
If you're looking into nutrition rather than just how to eat better/less then here are a few suggestions:

Nutrition on Reddit is an active community: https://www.reddit.com/r/nutrition/
Their FAQ is comprehensive: https://www.reddit.com/r/nutrition/wiki/faq#/c/purple/

Not quite nutrition but I've had this on my wishlisht:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0340831...TF8&colid=266RGCH0EXVMX&coliid=I2ORLWD7RZPO8Q

Alternatively:
Calculate how many kcal your body should be using.
Track everything you eat, food and drink.
Ensure that your calories in are less than your calories out by eating better, less and increasing exercise.

Diet is the biggest part and the one I struggle with the most but when you start seeing results it is a big motivation.

Good luck.

Soldato
Assuming you're just fat and not a 25 stone heffalump you aren't diabetic, don't need a GP and you aren't really interested in nutrition as a hobby but just not being fat....

As you ask for a book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Fat-Solution-principles-Maintaining/dp/1583333738

It touches on the basics of nutrition that you ask for but also various psychological triggers for over eating and busts some popular myths.

Rough advice from me: Start at 2000 kcal a day, adjust from there as needed. Weighing and reading labels is necessary. Aim for a macro nutrient ratio (of kcals, not weight) of around 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fat (again, adjust for activity, but for most office based chubby chaps, it's a good start).

Man of Honour
Assuming you're just fat and not a 25 stone heffalump you aren't diabetic, .
this just isn't true, even around 20% of normal weight people are insulin resistant and as you gain weight that percentage just increases you do not need to be 25stone, you don't even need to be fat to start having these issues. As I said you can fight your body and hormones but it usually ends in failure, a bit of understanding goes a long way. For such people, 40% carbs is not a good idea and you can get tests if you have some knowledge. Unlike official advice even type 2 diabetes is reversible let alone pre-diabetes and insulin resistance.

Soldato
this just isn't true, even around 20% of normal weight people are insulin resistant and as you gain weight that percentage just increases you do not need to be 25stone, you don't even need to be fat to start having these issues. As I said you can fight your body and hormones but it usually ends in failure, a bit of understanding goes a long way. For such people, 40% carbs is not a good idea and you can get tests if you have some knowledge. Unlike official advice even type 2 diabetes is reversible let alone pre-diabetes and insulin resistance.

It's true that your weight is only an indicator for risk of insulin resistance - bad diet and lack of exercise are the real problem and some people are going to be more at risk than others. It's an interesting idea that insulin resistance is a serious and widespread problem - but equally it's an idea that cholesterol is the result of fungal spores - so who knows. Bad diet, lack of exercise and mold are all things to be avoided anyway

I really don't believe your advice is good advice - most people are fat because they make bad decisions, not because of insulin resistance. The insulin resistance is a result of bad decisions. But considering how cheap it is to get a glucose tester it's not a bad idea to get a better idea of your bodies reaction to different foods - if you're really concerned there is a new system that gives you continuous readings: https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/products/starter-pack.html

I've a couple of type 1 friends and they really are reliable and for a more casual tester (more so than a type 1, who frankly their life relies upon it) will perhaps give you a better idea over a whole day. Obviously food logs are needed to correlate.

Soldato
Also, official advice is type 2 is not reversible? Really? That's bizarre for what is for most entirely a lifestyle disease.

Man of Honour
I really don't believe your advice is good advice - most people are fat because they make bad decisions, not because of insulin resistance. .
that's you interpreting something that just isn't there, did I say it was initially down to poor choices?. although current health advice is poor and widely not supported by modern research.
However when you are trying to lose weight/ or improve health. It is very wise to listen to your body rather than fighting it.
Also, official advice is type 2 is not reversible? Really? That's bizarre for what is for most entirely a lifestyle disease.
it depends on the official body, but most official bodies are still saying it's a progressive disease and still recommend a low fat high carb diet that actually makes it worse.

as I said if you want to start looking into insulin and health etc then the youtube link I gave is a good starting point. its got a few seminars from a group of UK GPs that are having a drastic impact on their patients by ignoring the official advice.

oh and you can still be insulin resistant and show normal glucose levels. As for a long time you just have high levels of insulin which keep them normal. Or as I've heard a few research call it pre-pre-diabetes.if you think diabetes is a problem now, you should see the studies where they tested people and found iirc something like 29% of the participants had it and were undiagnosed.

Its one of the reason I think nhs should move to a yearly or bi-yearly pre-emptive health check.

Last edited:
Associate
An old and very successful school friend has written the following book "The Diabetic Muscle and Fitness Guide"

https://diabeticmuscleandfitness.com/

Although aimed specifically at diabetics there if a wealth of information within this book that would educate a lot of people. He's very well know for his expertise in nutrition. Can also check out his website www.phil-graham.com

Back
Top Bottom