any insurance gurus here

Man of Honour
So you don't mention it to your insurance company (which contradicts what you've said 2 posts ago about having to tell them "Because its a material fact and required under the terms and conditions of your policy.") which still leaves you with no car and still having to pay £2200 for insurance, just split over the remaining 11 months rather than in one go. Although I guess you could at this point cancel your insurance and hope the other party doesn't make a claim.

What are you talking about? Your insurer won't end your policy simply for notifying them of an accident!

We are talking about where you make a claim with your insurer which ends with a total loss.

Man of Honour
lolwut?

I hope you are talking about the OPs situation and not generally. Because your insurance does carry on for the full policy term (eg 12 months - or 10 months in my case).

You don't suddenly have no car insurance because you have made a claim, fault or non fault.... :o

You do, generally, if you make a fault claim (one against your policy where the cost isn't recovered from a third party) which results in a total loss payout.

Nobody is saying your insurer cancels your policy after fixing a broken bumper or something!

Soldato
lolwut?

I hope you are talking about the OPs situation and not generally. Because your insurance does carry on for the full policy term (eg 12 months - or 10 months in my case).

You don't suddenly have no car insurance because you have made a claim, fault or non fault.... :o

For partial claims - e.g. replacing a bumper or so, no, correct, however in the event of a write off there is no obligation for them to carry on with the insurance, as this fulfills their side of the contract. but as I previously stated, many insurers will allow you to continue with the policy with a replacement car.

[TW]Fox;21719229 said:
What are you talking about? Your insurer won't end your policy simply for notifying them of an accident!

We are talking about where you make a claim with your insurer which ends with a total loss.

I'm aware of that, however, what use is an insurance policy when you have nothing to insure? ;)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21719240 said:
You do, generally, if you make a fault claim (one against your policy where the cost isn't recovered from a third party) which results in a total loss payout.

Nobody is saying your insurer cancels your policy after fixing a broken bumper or something!

When I smashed the bonnet/front windscreen/bulkhead of the mini *don't ask* into the back of a tractor (with trailer...) and the tractor driver didn't even feel it so just kept going, therefore I didn't get any details and had to claim on insurance. Total cost to repair given by the insurance company was £2300.

It wasn't written off so all that was paid was the excess (which was say £500 I think). How does that work. :o :confused:

Soldato
When I smashed the bonnet/front windscreen/bulkhead of the mini *don't ask* into the back of a tractor (with trailer...) and the tractor driver didn't even feel it so just kept going, therefore I didn't get any details and had to claim on insurance. Total cost to repair given by the insurance company was £2300.

It wasn't written off so all that was paid was the excess (which was say £500 I think). How does that work. :o :confused:

The part in bold.

The policy/contract is only considered complete if the car is written off.

Soldato
Sorry, didn't see your reply until after I posted.

Learn something new everyday. :o :eek:

Hehe, np.

Yup, its an "interesting lesson". It will say as much in the policy documentation ts&cs (which no one reads, myself included), probably buried somewhere on page 64, in indecipherable legalise. :p

Edit: Here we go, from mine:

"10 Total loss of your car
If your car is a total loss, your car will become our property. All cover, including the driving of other cars provision if applicable, is then cancelled for you and any other drivers on the policy. We will deduct any outstanding premium and fees owed by you from any claims settlement we make to you as we will have met the responsibilities under the policy."

Last edited:
Soldato
Hehe, np.

Yup, its an "interesting lesson". It will say as much in the policy documentation ts&cs (which no one reads, myself included), probably buried somewhere on page 64, in indecipherable legalise. :p

So what you're saying is, if the insurance company had written off my 15 year old mini, which they could off if it didn't have a agreed value...then that would be that? :(

I would lose the insurance policy which I had paid for a year at £1300 and have to pay to repair the car myself - if it wasn't beyond repair? :eek:

Jesus, I was bloody lucky to get away with that! :o

Soldato
So what you're saying is, if the insurance company had written off my 15 year old mini, which they could off if it didn't have a agreed value...then that would be that? :(

I would lose the insurance policy which I had paid for a year at £1300 and have to pay to repair the car myself - if it wasn't beyond repair? :eek:

Jesus, I was bloody lucky to get away with that! :o

Yup, if they had written it off, you would have gotten a payout for the value of the car, minus whatever was outstanding for the premium. Which, if you were unlucky enough to have it written off in the first month would result in an annual premium of £15,600 ;)

You would most likely have the option to buy the salvage off them for peanuts, but you would have to pay for the repairs yourself.

As you can see, it's in their interest to write cheap cars off if possible.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You wouldn't have a car to repair, if the write it off and pay you its value it now belongs to them. You would need to buy it from them if you wanted it back.

Soldato
You'd think with all the young drivers on here we'd have more Insurance Guru's;)

I wrote a car off when I was 21 and it came as a surprise to me that the policy was "Spent" (Thats the phrase the underwriter used)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well as of tomorrow I have no original car, no courtesy car and no money coz of some numpty reversing into me.
Large lesson learnt for me, been driving 29 years and including this one, two no fault claims.
1st one, car removed to repairer, hire car to me, repaired car returned, hire car returned, no problems at all.
2nd one getting worse by the minute lol

I had to use my insurance company as the 3rd party didnt even tell his insurance for 3 days after, making my insurance act for me, because I did not know who his insurance company was as he only told me his brokers name.
As he had not reported it, my insurance would not give me any information about the third party and set its own wheels in motion to get me sorted out.

Got to laugh havent you
Dave
:D:D:D:D

Man of Honour
I'm aware of that, however, what use is an insurance policy when you have nothing to insure? ;)

Obviously if you smash up your £1500 car on your £2500 a year insurance poicy with £500 excess you will go out and purchase another car to replace it and then insure that on your existing policy when you call up to do a change of vehicle?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21720366 said:
No, you didn't.

So what does the OP do for 3 days with no car? I suppose Helphire etc could be an option in this situation.

[TW]Fox;21720379 said:
Obviously if you smash up your £1500 car on your £2500 a year insurance poicy with £500 excess you will go out and purchase another car to replace it and then insure that on your existing policy when you call up to do a change of vehicle?

Purchase another car? With what money? Most people who drive £1500 cars don't have the spare cash in the bank, or ability to get credit out of nowhere to just go out and buy another car.

Soldato
So what does the OP do for 3 days with no car? I suppose Helphire etc could be an option in this situation.

Purchase another car? With what money? Most people who drive £1500 cars don't have the spare cash in the bank, or ability to get credit out of nowhere to just go out and buy another car.

Depending on his age but I've been told various car hire companies that they won't let me use them because I am 20 not 23 (or 25 depending on car) in the UK...strangely, audi dealer also said something similar but I had to be 21. :(

Think they were talking a load of BS though as a mate gets a courtesy car from audi everytime his goes for a service. :mad: :confused:

Back
Top Bottom