Any of you buy Nano Technology coating for your car?

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I wanted to apply a nano coating but its not as diy friendly as a polish and hard wax like colli. You need to let it cure and its best applied in a garage, a friend at work had it done and its lasted around 6 months at a mileage of 30k pa. So not really all that better than collinite 915 he had on it before.

Soldato
I looked at every film under the sun when looking for the GTR. At a distance many look good, but when you get up close, they all look crap.
How close do you want to get? :p

My mum has just got an MX5 with a film on the front bumper and I didn't even see it was there until she mentioned it and I looked for it. Pretty much invisible and all the edges were along panel gaps so didn't stand out either.

Sgarrista
Commissario
How close do you want to get? :p

My mum has just got an MX5 with a film on the front bumper and I didn't even see it was there until she mentioned it and I looked for it. Pretty much invisible and all the edges were along panel gaps so didn't stand out either.

Did they wrap it around or edge cut only?

If it was edge cut, give it 6 months and it will stand out like a sore thumb.

Soldato
Did they wrap it around or edge cut only?

If it was edge cut, give it 6 months and it will stand out like a sore thumb.
Got no idea but it's been on the car a year and looks immaculate still, certainly not even close to 'utter ****'

Soldato
I'd be inclined to agree with Kindai on this one. Regarding the nano coating stuff though, I was totally sold on it at one time. But having seen the results and durability that's not really that much better than a traditional wax, now my opinion is that it's just the latest and most expensive snake oil.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I'd be inclined to agree with Kindai on this one. Regarding the nano coating stuff though, I was totally sold on it at one time. But having seen the results and durability that's not really that much better than a traditional wax, now my opinion is that it's just the latest and most expensive snake oil.

I think if you have a pro detail done, applying a quality nano coating and then putting your favorite quick wax on top is as about as good as you can get currently in terms of maintaining the paintwork with the least hassle.

If you are into spending hours on maintaining a high quality expensive wax coat, then go nuts, nothing will beat the tried and tested unless there is some major step forwards.

Soldato
Never bothered with this kind of stuff, it doesn't really do a whole lot.

The original owner of my car did it and the paintwork looks no better for it's age.

Last edited:
Soldato
My car needs repair work involving a new front bumper and bonnet soon. The bumper was looking a bit sorry and stone chipped after 60K miles of mainly motorway work anyway, so whilst I wish it didn't need the work done, I'm trying to focus on the positives that it'll have a nice new paint job.

Thread interests me because I'd been considering some sort of coating or invisible wrap to protect the bumper when the work is done, but they all see very expensive, and as kindai said, some of them are still quite visible, defeating the point of fitting them for aesthetics. Given the costs involved, I think it would be cheaper just to budget for a front end respray every 5 years or so if it bothers you that much.

When the work is done, I think I'll just be giving it a good polish, a few coats of Collonite, then trying to keep a minimum separation of 500 metres between myself and any lorries I'm following on the motorway (as well as high kerbs :p)

Soldato
My GT86 is the same. But I don't see a lot of point in getting it re-sprayed if I'm using it all the time. Theres nothing that can stop it really other than sticking some think plastic over it. But that will look ugly.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mine had SiRamik applied last year after a full paint detail. Came out nice.

envy_siramik_1.gif

envy_siramik_2.gif

envy_siramik_3.gif

Obviously if you ever have a panel repainted due to new part/damage etc, then the panel will need to be re-detailed and coated again. I'm in that position for the front wings and bonnet!

Otherwise the ceramic lasts 3yrs.

Caporegime
ISM Pro is on my M3 and it makes it very easy to clean and still beads like is just been washed despite detailing 8 months ago

Meant to last 2-3yrs and I can believe it

tef

tef

Associate
i got the bmw one which i believe is a re-brand Sonax hard coat wax with non technology. it's decent but few months on, the beads are gone.

Back
Top Bottom