Any pilots here?

Soldato
Agreed, I pay for mine in chunks, basically an amount that qualifies me for a better rate at the club and just top up as / when needed.

I try on average to fly at least once a week and sometimes twice depending on work commitments, but then it can be a couple of weeks with no flying, either weather or other commitments.

Associate
I don't know if this applies to PPL Training but I pay a monthly membership fee and slightly less on the hourly hire rate compared to competition - Until recently the C172s were £120 per tacho hour, which looking around is actually pretty cheap for this part of the country. So the more you use it the better value it becomes!

Sadly my final flight at North Weald was last weekend, its been an awesome club and airfield with lots of heritage but on the plus side I'm leaving to start an EMB 135/145 type rating early next month for a certain UK regional airline!

Hitman
Soldato
I don't know if this applies to PPL Training but I pay a monthly membership fee and slightly less on the hourly hire rate compared to competition - Until recently the C172s were £120 per tacho hour, which looking around is actually pretty cheap for this part of the country. So the more you use it the better value it becomes!

Sadly my final flight at North Weald was last weekend, its been an awesome club and airfield with lots of heritage but on the plus side I'm leaving to start an EMB 135/145 type rating early next month for a certain UK regional airline!

I know the original flying school I was at did something similar - if you joined the 'club' you would get a reduced cost in hire.

Great news on the type rating!!

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Quick random question!

I was at East Midlands aerodrome the other weekend watching the planes go up. A small single prop engine plane went up and after take off the engine made a bang that sounded like a misfire and cut out. Must have been at maybe 200-300ft max (about 2/3rds along the runway).

The plane lost height fast but then eventually the engine fired back up again and he flew off.

Question, is this some sort of regular practice that pilots do or was it a problem? As he flew off once it got going rather than turning around to land I assume it was just normal but watching it was pretty terrifying!

Hitman
Soldato
During training we are taught how to deal with an engine failure after takeoff or mid-flight - this only means bringing the throttle to idle though so that sounds like a real problem! If that was me and I managed to restart the engine again I'd be coming straight back into land.

Soldato
Had a couple of hours at controls of a 4 seat Cessna and about 45 minutes in a Robinson R22 (late cousin had a PPL in SA and was learning chopper so I got half of one of his lessons for a "go" at it). Definitely something I'd pursue if I had the money spare :)

Soldato
During training we are taught how to deal with an engine failure after takeoff or mid-flight - this only means bringing the throttle to idle though so that sounds like a real problem! If that was me and I managed to restart the engine again I'd be coming straight back into land.

What he said :D

Soldato
Had a couple of hours at controls of a 4 seat Cessna and about 45 minutes in a Robinson R22 (late cousin had a PPL in SA and was learning chopper so I got half of one of his lessons for a "go" at it). Definitely something I'd pursue if I had the money spare :)
I did 10 hours of training towards PPL then bought a house to renovate so it went out the window. :( It's a pretty pricey pursuit, definitely.

On the cheaper end I've been tempted by paramotor a few times but in all honesty I prefer the tranquility of free flying. Might give gliding a go at some point but it seems like so much more faff than HG/PG.

Hitman
Soldato
Managed to get up today to do a mock skills test. Here's my CloudAhoy track for it:

xpy8gyc.jpg

The format is "essentially identical" to that of the real test, minus a couple of bits. For example, I didn't have to brief the instructor on mass and balance, take off distances, etc - not something I've actually done at all yet for my aircraft so I need to get that sorted for the next lesson.

1: Climbed up into the overhead then departed. As part of the test you have to fly through some kind of controlled airspace and this route required a MATZ penetration. Not an issue, nice straight line to the first waypoint with a small correction over Shawbury. I've never picked up on it before but the way I depart from the overhead means that my track is always going to be off slightly!

2: First turning point, the town was easy enough to identify, surrounded by a river and lakes all marked on the 1 : 500k map.

3: Headed south but somewhere along the second leg you'll get a diversion. I picked a town en-route to start the diversion from. Micromanaging flying the aircraft whilst trying to sort out the diversion was a bit of a hassle - you'll be expected to do it all yourself. My instructor clearly felt bad for me so did some circles while I sorted myself out. Need to calculate a sensible track, distance and ETA.

4: Got to the diversion point bang on time but did have to make a heading adjustment at one of the waypoints I was using - this isn't an issue providing you tell the examiner apparantely. Once we were there I did a position fix with 2 VORs - my instructor handled the aircraft while I did this, he said some examiners will do that for you, we'll see!

That was the end of the navigation section, not much else to it, just a standard navigation flight really. You're expected to handle all the radios and such yourself.

5: Onto general handling. We did the three stalls plus steep turns to the left and right. Stalls were fine but my steep turns need a bit of refresher - not surprised considering I haven't really done them properly in over a year!

6: PFL, all fine and we would've made the field I picked. Was essentially a perfect grass runway!

After that it was just back to the circuit to do a couple of different approaches: normal, precautionary and flapless. I did a go around on one of the flapless approaches as I'm not used to the picture and cocked up my speed.

That was pretty much it for the mock test. My instructor reckons I would've passed and did say the mock test is a lot harder than the real test. The flight itself was just over two hours - I do feel exhausted this evening from it, could be partly down to it only being my 5th or 6th flight this year! Also felt really anxious about it all this morning. We've got a lesson booked in for Wednesday to do some more steep turns and some circuits.

Soldato
Wow, that is some great info to pass on too, thanks.

I have not flown for a few weeks now, general life gotten in the way, hopefully soon though weather permitting.

Associate
Just found this thread, great to read about everyone's flying adventures. I've done about 115hrs of flying at North Weald, even instructed there for a few months when they started the school up (though I instructed full time over the road in Stapleford), it's full of character and always worth a visit. Not many places can you be in the circuit with a few Cessnas, a P51 and a classic jet! I miss flying small aircraft, I can't wait to get back into it, but it's crazy expensive now for something with a bit of comfort or performance.

Best of luck with your test Dynix, hope it goes well! I assume you're flying out of halfpenny green?

And also best of luck Thingemajib on the type rating!

Here's a snap I took the other evening going into Edinburgh, was the most perfect sunset!

Edinburgh.jpg

Last edited:
Hitman
Soldato
Wow, that is some great info to pass on too, thanks.

I have not flown for a few weeks now, general life gotten in the way, hopefully soon though weather permitting.

I'm hoping the weather improves for later in the week, I've got the potential to book a test for Thursday or Friday and both aren't looking great, last thing I'd want is to fly in dodgy weather or have to cancel.

Just found this thread, great to read about everyone's flying adventures. I've done about 115hrs of flying at North Weald, even instructed there for a few months when they started the school up (though I instructed full time over the road in Stapleford), it's full of character and always worth a visit. Not many places can you be in the circuit with a few Cessnas, a P51 and a classic jet! I miss flying small aircraft, I can't wait to get back into it, but it's crazy expensive now for something with a bit of comfort or performance.

Best of luck with your test Dynix, hope it goes well! I assume you're flying out of halfpenny green?

And also best of luck Thingemajib on the type rating!

Here's a snap I took the other evening going into Edinburgh, was the most perfect sunset!

Edinburgh.jpg

Lovely picture that! Can't wait to finish off my night rating in the winter. Yeah based out of HG, great airfield but a little annoying at the moment as one of the runways is out of action still due to the jet a few weeks back. Rumour has it there's some politics at play :rolleyes: What are you flying?

Associate
Lovely picture that! Can't wait to finish off my night rating in the winter. Yeah based out of HG, great airfield but a little annoying at the moment as one of the runways is out of action still due to the jet a few weeks back. Rumour has it there's some politics at play :rolleyes: What are you flying?

Night rating is good fun, if you ask me flying at night is both stunning to see and much more relaxing. Radios are quiet, usually less bumps, it's just a nice experience. Naturally you've got the higher dangers involved with engine failures at night, but it's worth it.

Haven't been to HG for years, last time I was there I was papped and ended up on Airliners.net (http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/1/3/4/2326431.jpg?v=v40) :D Nice airfield though, I seem to remember having some good food there, shame about the runway, but as you say most likely politics involved, this little hobby of ours is full of it. It's not just HG it's everywhere, people like things done their own way regardless of what others do. What aircraft are you flying?

I fly an Embraer 190/170, based in Edinburgh but our main ops is out of London City. Used to instruct on 152s, Tecnam P2008s and PA28s of various flavors. Only flown a GA aircraft once in the last year (G-NUKA, PA28-180) with a friend doing his hour building from EGSX-EGCL-EGSX, all of my ratings have lapsed now too so it'll be a bit of a chore to get them all back :(

Last edited:
Soldato
It's great to see so many pilots on the forums now, both starting out and at different stages going forward!

Good luck for your GST Dynix! Sounds like you'll ace it, look forward to reading the write up! When I did my PPL myself and some other guys who were doing their PPL at the same time did a diary on Pprune. Although that was 10 years ago :eek: Just you wait until the IRT! Probably the hardest test you'll do in your career but also great fun at the same time.

Congrats on the job thingemajib, enjoy the TR. Base training is awesome! I was lucky enough to get to do base training in both a B737 and A320. For those that don't know base training is basically flying circuits in an empty airliner. Great fun and something you rarely get to ever do again! Do you know where you are going to be based?

Awesome photo FL630! Absolutely love Edinburgh. I went to uni there and learnt to fly in the uni gliding club up at Portmoak before doing my PPL at Edinburgh Flying Club. Very jealous you are based there! I used to fly there a lot in my previous job and miss visiting :(

For those that don't know I fly the A330/340, usually to the US. I'm currently in San Fran, sadly it was cloudy for our arrival but here are some pics from my arrival and departure last month, as well as a random sunset in the Caribbean. The benefits of flying long haul!

YSQVZjKl.jpg
dDpXDM2l.jpg
DFgKtqTl.jpg
QvlbLf6l.jpg

Just like you FL630, I've not flown SEPs for years and would love to get the rating back. Although I'm not sure how safe I'm going to feel with a single piston engine after 10 years in twin and quad jets! :eek: I'll have to check them out again at some point, but it is just so expensive!! I'm also keen to get back into gliding, plus its cheaper. Sadly I was spoilt in Scotland with 2 hills to soar on as well as lots of mountain wave with no airspace issues! Def not the case down south on all accounts.

Associate
Blinkz, you're right, EDI is a great airport to fly into when the conditions are there, sadly right now I can't even see the Pentlands from a mile away out of my flats window, got to love the Summer up here! If you're flying A330/340 across the Atlantic I assume you're flying for that airline with a red tail and engines? Would love to end up there, even though I'm working for the "other side" right now. I don't quite have the hours to apply just yet, sadly.

I've been up to the local gliding club by Loch Leven, looks a great way to do some real flying. Perhaps in the latter part of the summer when my roster starts to slow down, got to love max hours / min rest that's happening right now!

I cant compete with the Golden Gate Bridge, but he'res my local water crossing :)

And a few more of my travels

Soldato
Blinkz, you're right, EDI is a great airport to fly into when the conditions are there, sadly right now I can't even see the Pentlands from a mile away out of my flats window, got to love the Summer up here! If you're flying A330/340 across the Atlantic I assume you're flying for that airline with a red tail and engines? Would love to end up there, even though I'm working for the "other side" right now. I don't quite have the hours to apply just yet, sadly.

I've been up to the local gliding club by Loch Leven, looks a great way to do some real flying. Perhaps in the latter part of the summer when my roster starts to slow down, got to love max hours / min rest that's happening right now!

I cant compete with the Golden Gate Bridge, but he'res my local water crossing :)

Awesome pics! haha I remember the Scottish weather well! The new bridge looks cool!

I do indeed work for them, I can totally recommend them. Great company! We should be recruiting later this year for both fleets I think, and as I understand it should also be fairly steady intakes going forward. An Embraer type isn't the most useful obviously but I'm sure we will have some non-TR recruitments as well as TRed. Not sure what the hours requirements currently are, it was 3000 when I joined but they might have dropped them a little since. Once you have the hours feel free to get in touch and I can answer any questions and try to help as best I can.

I totally recommend gliding at Portmoak (which is the club next to Loch Leven) its a great club and well situated for both hill and wave lift. I remember the days of max hours well! Luckily you'll find long haul a lot more relaxed. Sure you're away from home a few days month but I have a lot more time at home then I ever did with shorthaul, and good time as well. Plus you get to go on holiday a few times a month and get paid for it ;)

Associate
I did hear rumors that you were hiring. Certainly it's a company I want to get in to, seems a bit more "fun" than what us Nigel's get given. I'll have about 1200-1400 hours by the end of the year, can't see that being enough, plus I've got another year to serve on my TR bond. I appreciate the offer though. As for long haul vs short haul hours, my roster for the last 2 weeks has been check in Monday, three 4 sectors days followed by two days of LPC, check out Saturday morning at 0030, 2 days off, then a 12 hour day, followed by 4 days away all with 0315Z reports. I think long haul would let me get home a bit more often!

Anyway, off to Malaga tomorrow, that's always a laugh in the summer...

Soldato
I did hear rumors that you were hiring. Certainly it's a company I want to get in to, seems a bit more "fun" than what us Nigel's get given. I'll have about 1200-1400 hours by the end of the year, can't see that being enough, plus I've got another year to serve on my TR bond. I appreciate the offer though. As for long haul vs short haul hours, my roster for the last 2 weeks has been check in Monday, three 4 sectors days followed by two days of LPC, check out Saturday morning at 0030, 2 days off, then a 12 hour day, followed by 4 days away all with 0315Z reports. I think long haul would let me get home a bit more often!

Anyway, off to Malaga tomorrow, that's always a laugh in the summer...

Yea I don't think it will be that low. I'm sure you'd def need an ATPL as well. It won't take you long to get your hours up, and as you say you want to avoid the bond!

That does sound a tough roster, altho I've seen worse!

Our typical month is fleet dependant but I do 4 or 5 trips a month, and each trip is either 3 or 4 days away and then either 2,3 or more days off after. Plus each trip is only a single flight out, then at least 24hrs down route for the east coast or 48hrs for the west coast. You always have at least 10 days off a month at home, not including the days off down route. The biggest down side is that the jet lag and night flights can be tough.

I'm flying home this evening, enjoy Malaga! Do they still have the fruit van that comes up to the aircraft? Loved that, best strawberries ever!

Back
Top Bottom